Bottom Bracket bolt

GrumpyGex

Jun 18, 2010
Okay, a few miles from home I found that something was hitting the inside of my left leg. Naturally, this sparks my interest as I know my feet aren't travelling on the pedal. I found that the bolt that runs through the BB came unscrewed.

What I'm curious about, is did I do something wrong? As in is there a poor pedaling habit that would do something to loosen the bolt? Or was it not torqued down enough to begin with? I've had the bike for just under a month and I haven't put it under any real abuse yet.

GrumpyGex said:
Okay, a few miles from home I found that something was hitting the inside of my left leg. Naturally, this sparks my interest as I know my feet aren't travelling on the pedal. I found that the bolt that runs through the BB came unscrewed.

What I'm curious about, is did I do something wrong? As in is there a poor pedaling habit that would do something to loosen the bolt? Or was it not torqued down enough to begin with? I've had the bike for just under a month and I haven't put it under any real abuse yet.

What kind of crankset/bottom bracket do you have?

FSA Omega Cyclocross Compact, 46/36 Crank
FSA Mega EXO Bottom Bracket

Cannondale | Cyclocross 6

And that's a link to the whip.

It's a pretty cool bike so far. Way different from the Schwinn cruiser of my youth.

Well, it wasn't anything particular about your pedaling that made the bolt back out. It could be the result of a few things
  • Not being torqued properly
  • The BB shell on the bike not being faced
  • Something out of spec on the crankset

FWIW, there have been issues with some FSA cranksets coming loose. I looked on the FSA website but couldn't find any tech documents on your crankset. I would take the bike back to the LBS where it was purchased and insist that the bottom bracket be faced and then the crankset be assembled to the specified torque.

Awesome, it's good to know that I didn't mess it up.

I've been nothing but upset with the shop that I got the bike from. I read all these posts here talking about what a shop should do and have yet to find a similar quality to the shop here. Thanks a bunch for the info!

GrumpyGex said:

FYI. The LARGE bolt that screws into the non-driveside crankarm of a MegaExo crank should be pinched in place by the two bolt which hold the arm on the spindle ...

The head of the bolt should be flush with the outer edge of the crankarm.

So, the fact that it backed out suggests (to me, at least!) that the pinch bolts that secure the non-driveside crank should be tightened ASAP [after you screw the bolt back in place].

OK,

I want to get into biking again. So I buy a Trek FX 7.9 and a Kurt Kinetic Trainer. I love spinning classes. The 7.9 has racing tires and of course Carbon Frame.

This is embarrassing.....

What should I do with it? Ride on paved bike paths, streets, etc? What should I do to be careful of those skinny race tires? Can I add a rear carrier just for a bag to carry a lunch?

This has those straight handle bars, can I add an accessory to them the same as they do on the drop handle bars? Down the road would it be possible to add drop handle bars to this bike?

I guess what I am asking is now that I have this thing, what are my limits? Was this not a good bike to purchase? And can I correct any mistakes by changing out gear?

I would love to take it places to ride via car carrier in the receiver hitch which is a Saris by the way. Like bike paths that are blacktop, no mountain biking of course.

Any tips on locking it on the car? What do you all do when you buy a bike that costs around $2,500? Don't worry about locks, just never leave it?

Thanks
Bill

Welcome, Bill and congrats on your new bike! I'll give you some general answers and no doubt you'll more from others. Try riding anywhere you feel comfortable: roads, paved bike paths, hard-packed paths. I have ridden my bike with 23c tires (standard racing width) on dirt and gravel hard-packed paths with no problem. You won't want to do mud, sand, rocks, or uneven dirt. Try to move to actual roads as your comfort level increases. You won't be able to go fast enough or far enough otherwise. Carrying stuff. You can add a rack even if your bike doesn't have eyelets on the frame. There are lots of racks available; check your local shop and online resources. If you aren't always carrying stuff, you may opt for a messenger bag or backpack.
Adding drop bars: Yes you can add them later; you will have to change your brake levers/shifters; make sure they are compatible with your other driveline components. This could get expensive; might be better to trade/sell the bike and get a road bike with drop bars. If you find that want to try more hand positions with your straight bars, add some bar-ends. It's a very inexpensive mod which doesn't require changing components. Locking the bike in the car: If you can't get the bike (less wheels) in the trunk, I'd just suggest you cover it with a sheet or blanket, so that they don't know exactly what you've got. If you have to lock it up outside for any amount of time, I'd suggest a good U-lock. Remove front wheel and put the lock through both wheels, frame and fixed object. I'm sure you've seen this. You've got a nice bike; whether it's the right one for you only you can say, after you've ridden it for a while.

Steve,

Thanks for the kind reply. I forgot to mention that I workout daily at Gold's Gym. Getting in shape and I hope to soon be able to wear more appropriate road bike wear. Look into clubs and all that sort of thing.

I will look into the handle bar extensions or ends, seems the perfect answer. I will start with some bike paths and parks as a means to avoid cars for now.

The bike is all carbon, I think I can add a rack, just can't haul much on carbon frame. This is not the bike to load up with camping gear. But a bag for lunch or snacks might be fine. Just local and daily rides is all I am doing with it.

If I really get into riding then maybe another bike will fill the need, for now this is a great bike to see what part of this sport will interest me. I am just not really interested in mountain bikes. 48 years old here, also I have a daughter who is 5. Adopted at my age and she is the first. This should be great fun when she is off training wheels! We also roller skate quite a bit so leg muscles are there.

Bill, You might also enjoy doing some reading and looking on the Rivendell Bicycles website.

Steve,

Thanks for the tip about the website - nice! Been trying to find my place, like what magazines are good? Got a Bicycle Times that is not too bad. Just figuring it all out from subscriptions to iPod apps.

Thanks
Bill

I haven't read any bike magazines for a long time. I think you'll find better info here and other places on the web. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Steve_A .

I haven't read any bike magazines for a long time. I think you'll find better info here and other places on the web. Just my opinion.
I agree with this, but I have a vested interest!

Seems like you are thinking about it way too much. As a beginner, you simply need to get on the bike and ride often. The 7.9 FX is a great bike that probably doesn't need anything added to it, except you as the pilot. Time in the saddle will tell you what accessories are needed, if any adjustments need to be made, and what sort of surfaces are best suited for the bike. Go ride.