Bottom bracket clicking/creaking. How much to fix?

Mark Mitchell

Guest

I would take it to a good bike shop to have them look at it....might not be
a big thing, but it could be. A good wrench should be able to throw it into
a work stand and evaluate fairly quickly. Greater possibility of it being
serious if you have not had it worked on since it was new...could be bottom
bracket...could be loose chainring bolts...could be the bottom bracket
shell... might be solved with a little lock-tite or a few turns of a wrench.
It's better to find out now than when to wait and chance losing the bottom
bracket or crank or frame....That silly old thing...a stitch in time saves
nine.....

Hope it's nothing serious!
Cheers!
ie

"Mark Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Mark Mitchell <[email protected]> wrote:

> I noticed approx 100mi ago that I'd get a click from my BB as the left
> crank passed through the 11-10 o'clock position.

> I was wrong, it's gotten a bit worse. Now it's more like a 2-3 clicks
> close together, or a very small creak.
>
> The bike is a late 90's Trek 6000. (

Aluminum frame? If so, it may just need the BB pulled out, threads
greased, and reinstalled. Cheap. The cranks have to come off first,
and that's a good opportunity for an experienced shop mechanic to
inspect the components for cracks or other problems.

It could be anything from loose chainring bolts to a cracked frame,
though. If you are overdue for a tune-up, now would be a good time to
get one. A decent LBS will be likely to include the bottom bracket
removal/replacement in the deal if you make sure to ask for it.

Chalo Colina

Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I noticed approx 100mi ago that I'd get a click from my BB as the left
> crank passed through the 11-10 o'clock position. I didn't think too much
> of it as I thought that the sound was actually my shoelaces hitting the
> frame. (Most of my riding is done in very quiet conditions)
>
> I was wrong, it's gotten a bit worse. Now it's more like a 2-3 clicks
> close together, or a very small creak.

Another possibility to consider is the pedal. I had a similar sound at
about the same point in crank rotation. Eventually, I tightened the
left pedal to the crank arm. Click went away.

- Dave

I'll second the pedal possibility. I had the same thing happen on two sets
of pedals before I went out and bought some high end pedals. Give the
pedals a wiggle to see if there is any play in the bearings.

--

Paul Ricklefs

"Dave Pushee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark Mitchell wrote:

> > I noticed approx 100mi ago that I'd get a click from my BB as the left
> > crank passed through the 11-10 o'clock position. I didn't think too

much
> > of it as I thought that the sound was actually my shoelaces hitting the
> > frame. (Most of my riding is done in very quiet conditions)
> >
> > I was wrong, it's gotten a bit worse. Now it's more like a 2-3 clicks
> > close together, or a very small creak.
> >

> Another possibility to consider is the pedal. I had a similar sound at
> about the same point in crank rotation. Eventually, I tightened the
> left pedal to the crank arm. Click went away.
>
> - Dave

Before you 86 the bottom bracket, try tightening your crank bolts. That's
usually where the creaking comes from. Take care -