Bottom Bracket Clicking

anthonyjf

Aug 16, 2004
I brought my Trek 1000 to my LBS because of a clicking noise coming from the bottom bracket. The tech over-hauled the bottom bracket, but when I got the bike home and rode it, it still made the clicking noise. The bike is only a few months old, and the ride does not seem to be affected by the clicking. The pedals are new looks, so I don't think they are the problem. The crankset is the standard Bontrager that comes with the bike. So far, the bike has been a good entry level bike, but the clicking concerns me. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

anthonyjf said:
I brought my Trek 1000 to my LBS because of a clicking noise coming from the bottom bracket. The tech over-hauled the bottom bracket, but when I got the bike home and rode it, it still made the clicking noise. The bike is only a few months old, and the ride does not seem to be affected by the clicking. The pedals are new looks, so I don't think they are the problem. The crankset is the standard Bontrager that comes with the bike. So far, the bike has been a good entry level bike, but the clicking concerns me. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

My guess is this is unlikely to help, and for that I apologize, but for the sake of at least throwing it out there - at some point I was hearing such a clicking noise, too, and it sometimes seemed to be coming from the bottom bracket area. Eventually I figured out that it was my headset. This is an older Cannondale with a threaded steel headset that uses 2 rings of ball bearings on either side (top and bottom). The times I've heard the noises either the bearings needed to be greased or, the most recent time it happened, I had actually basically crumbled the ball bearing ring, which promptly fell apart as soon as I took apart the stem and headset.

Weird how sounds can project themselves like that (it really sounds like it's coming from the bottom, or even the rear - near the rear derailler - of the bike). So, maybe check the headset? I dunno, like I said, doubt this will help, but just throwing a suggestion out there. Good luck!

I'll check the headset. Until I figure it out, I'll keep on clicking... I mean riding. ;)

Just a thought:
I experienced what I thought was a clicking bottom bracket, but I finally traced it to a loose pedal. Loosen and retighten both pedals just to make sure.:)

I had the exact same problem with my Campagnolo Centaur Bottom Bracket. Everytime I set al my force on my pedals the bottom bracket was clicking. A solution should be buying a new one. Form me the solution was asking the club I am in for a new bike. So pick you choice: New bracket or new bike :)