bottom bracket concertina sleeves

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Geraint Jones, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Executive summary: are the fancy bellows-shaped tubes in bottom brackets meant to be disposable?

    Rambling anecdote: For years I have been vaguely dubious of those wise old owls who will tell you
    that the first thing you with a new bike is to disassemble it and grease all the bearings. I mean,
    nobody's going to start with taking a bottom bracket apart, are they?

    So the XYL's bottom bracket was making a strange rubbery squeaking noise. Well, her bike's bottom
    bracket was. Since it seems to have rubber seals between the spindle (or if you prefer, axle) and
    the edges of the cups I wondered whether there was something fishy in there.

    When we disassembled it, there was indeed. There was enough water to float a small shoal of fish,
    and what is worse a considerable amount of rust and very little sign of its ever having been
    lubricated with anything other than perhaps a bit of graphite. I am in danger of becoming one of
    those cranky old codgers who will tell you that the first thing you with a new bike is to
    disassemble it and grease all the bearings, including the bottom bracket.

    But all of this is only by way of explaining that when we took the adjustable cup off the bottom
    bracket, and drained out the water, what we found next was "one of the special plastic sleeves" (as
    described by the Great Sheldon in <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbadj.html>).

    I had previously only come across the idea of cutting a piece out of a squeezy(TM) bottle for this
    purpose, and never in fact seen even one of those, but the item in question was a purpose-built
    cylindrical white plastic bellows, and getting it out of the bottom bracket shell without tearing it
    apart seemed to be all but impossible.

    Do the manufacturers of white plastic bellows make a special plastic puller to remove them, or are
    they meant to be disposed of and replace with a new one? (We stuffed it back in, despite its being
    slightly wonky, and of course it is designed to go in much more easily than it comes out.) Is there
    a knack? Is it all in the wrist action, champ?

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > Executive summary: are the fancy bellows-shaped tubes in bottom brackets meant to be disposable?

    I treat them as such along with the rest of the bottom bracket that comes with them and as I bung in
    a nice Shimano UN52 proper job from the start.

    Sounds though like your problem was mainly one of no drain hole for water coming down the seat tube
    and in the bottle bosses etc. Still even that doesn't bother a UN52

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain