Bottom bracket, cranks tutorial?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Risto Varanka, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Is there a tutorial/primer on bottom brackets and crank(set)s somewhere on the net, didn't find
    anything at sheldonbrown.com?

    I was thinking of putting together a bent lowracer or trike from a framekit, you know, get what you
    want for cheaper than they ask for factory options by buying old stuff from the Internet ;)

    I'd need to know which stuff I can use with which other stuff, so I can get parts that I can use. I
    think bottom brackets are determined at least by size (width and diameter?) as well as method of
    attaching. Can some brackets be removed after installing while others can't (welded)? etc.

    Maybe I could get it all together by google, some basic bike tech books and asking some questions...

  2. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a tutorial/primer on bottom brackets and crank(set)s somewhere on the net, didn't find
    > anything at sheldonbrown.com?
    >
    > I was thinking of putting together a bent lowracer or trike from a framekit, you know, get what
    > you want for cheaper than they ask for factory options by buying old stuff from the Internet ;)
    >
    > I'd need to know which stuff I can use with which other stuff, so I can get parts that I can use.
    > I think bottom brackets are determined at least by size (width and diameter?) as well as method of
    > attaching. Can some brackets be removed after installing while others can't (welded)? etc.
    >
    > Maybe I could get it all together by google, some basic bike tech books and asking some
    > questions...

    I suggest finding Barnetts Chapter 2 on BB Threads, 3 on Facing BBs, 9 on Adjustable Cup BBs, 10 on
    Cartridge Bearing BBs, and 20 on Taper Fit cranks. From time to time sources for Barnetts chapters
    are posted to this discussion group.

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL, USA

  3. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Most the recumbents use standard bb shells. I've got an old set of Shimano 600's that I'm going to
    use on mine. If you're building one, check this site out, plans rock, my buddy built one already and
    if he didn't tell you, you'd think it was probuilt. http://members.aol.com/domerie/bentech.htm

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Is there a tutorial/primer on bottom brackets and crank(set)s somewhere on the net, didn't find
    > anything at sheldonbrown.com?
    >
    > I was thinking of putting together a bent lowracer or trike from a framekit, you know, get what
    > you want for cheaper than they ask for factory options by buying old stuff from the Internet ;)
    >
    > I'd need to know which stuff I can use with which other stuff, so I can get parts that I can use.
    > I think bottom brackets are determined at least by size (width and diameter?) as well as method of
    > attaching. Can some brackets be removed after installing while others can't (welded)? etc.
    >
    > Maybe I could get it all together by google, some basic bike tech books and asking some
    > questions...

  4. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >[email protected]

    > Is there a tutorial/primer on bottom brackets and crank(set)s...
    > I'd need to know which stuff I can use with which other stuff...

    Branford Bike (branfordbike.com??) often includes interchangeability/compatability information under
    brand specific parts.

    Sig Chicago

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    : Is there a tutorial/primer on bottom brackets and crank(set)s somewhere on the net, didn't find
    : anything at sheldonbrown.com?

    Hii haa... today I performed a google search on "bottom bracket"... so what did it turn up...
    sheldonbrown! There's an entry in the glossary and that links to an article with info on
    different sizes.

    : method of attaching. Can some brackets be removed after installing while others can't
    : (welded)? etc.

    Hmm... I take it you screw in (almost?) all BBs, without any welding... probably I misinterpreted
    something I read off the Internet ;) Hence the joke, how many usenet users it takes to screw in a
    bottom bracket?