Bottom Bracket Help?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ade, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Ade

    Ade Guest

    ive currently running a 2000 gt arrowhead

    but the bottom bracket makes a grinding noise when being ridden!

    so i would like to replace the bottom bracket with a Shimano UN52/3, but im confused by all the
    sizes avaible. can anybody help?

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    ADE wrote:
    > ive currently running a 2000 gt arrowhead
    >
    > but the bottom bracket makes a grinding noise when being ridden!
    >
    > so i would like to replace the bottom bracket with a Shimano UN52/3, but im confused by all the
    > sizes avaible. can anybody help?

    What type & model cranks, and do you know what model and size BB you have at the moment?

    ~PB

  3. Ade

    Ade Guest

    i think its a Shimano Altus chain set

    i havent taken this off yet (just ordered the tool to remove the bb)

    news:[email protected]...

  4. ADE wrote:
    > ive currently running a 2000 gt arrowhead
    >
    > but the bottom bracket makes a grinding noise when being ridden!
    >
    > so i would like to replace the bottom bracket with a Shimano UN52/3, but im confused by all the
    > sizes avaible. can anybody help?

    Get the same length spindle as you have at the moment, or your middle ring won't line up with the
    middle of your cassette. It's that simple!

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > ADE wrote:
    >> ive currently running a 2000 gt arrowhead
    >>
    >> but the bottom bracket makes a grinding noise when being ridden!
    >>
    >> so i would like to replace the bottom bracket with a Shimano UN52/3, but im confused by all the
    >> sizes avaible. can anybody help?

    Sorry ADE. I've started to look into it and I'm just as confused as you! (I don't really "do"
    Shimano BB's).

    The Altus info* indicates that the chainset is designed for a CT92 BB - which comes in two lengths:
    116 & 121mm. I would guess that the 121 is for oversized seat tubes, but that is only a guess. Some
    shorter Shimano BB's are designed for double chainsets only, but Altus (and similar) chainsets
    don't have double options, do they? Other BB models should fit but I suppose you'd still need one
    of these sizes.

    Try the rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup.

    * www.shimano-europe.com/cycling/phpimages/productserie/service_pdf/SI-F910D -EN.pdf

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Get the same length spindle as you have at the moment, or your middle ring won't line up with the
    > middle of your cassette. It's that simple!

    But ADE doesn't know what the existing one is. Could ask the manufacturer or supplier but you won't
    be guaranteed to get the correct answer.

    ~PB