Bottom bracket installation problem

Qwerty Uiop

Guest
Dear all,
I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in fine
but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a
problem or is it ok to have a thread or two showing? On my other bikes
there's no gap at all.
Thanks.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:51:12 +0100, "Qwerty Uiop" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Dear all,
>I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in fine
>but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
>against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a
>problem or is it ok to have a thread or two showing? On my other bikes
>there's no gap at all.
>Thanks.

A little bit showing isn't a problem. A lot and you have to wonder if
you are installing a 73mm width into a 68mm shell. If the chainline is
ok and the cranks are pretty symmetrical, let the threads be exposed.

"Qwerty Uiop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear all,
> I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in fine
> but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
> against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a

I've had the same thing happen on a customer's bike. Unless the BB feels
loose, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

qwerty-<< I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in
fine
but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a
problem or is it ok >><BR><BR>

Me thinks you have a BB for a 73mm shell, installing it into a 68mm shell.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Thanks for your replies, chaps. I've read somewhere that the cup should be
snug against the shell to lessen the chance of it loosening but, having
visited a bike shop where most of them weren't, I think I'll just ignore it.
The unit is definitely the right size for the shell.
Regards.