Bottom bracket installation problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Qwerty Uiop, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Qwerty Uiop

    Qwerty Uiop Guest

    Dear all,
    I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in fine
    but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
    against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a
    problem or is it ok to have a thread or two showing? On my other bikes
    there's no gap at all.
    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:51:12 +0100, "Qwerty Uiop" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in fine
    >but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
    >against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a
    >problem or is it ok to have a thread or two showing? On my other bikes
    >there's no gap at all.
    >Thanks.

    A little bit showing isn't a problem. A lot and you have to wonder if
    you are installing a 73mm width into a 68mm shell. If the chainline is
    ok and the cranks are pretty symmetrical, let the threads be exposed.

  3. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    "Qwerty Uiop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dear all,
    > I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in fine
    > but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
    > against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a

    I've had the same thing happen on a customer's bike. Unless the BB feels
    loose, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. qwerty-<< I'm in the process of installing a UN73 bb. The sealed unit screws in
    fine
    but the resin non-drive side cup won't screw in far enough to be snug
    against the bb shell (I've just cracked one whilst trying). Is this a
    problem or is it ok >><BR><BR>

    Me thinks you have a BB for a 73mm shell, installing it into a 68mm shell.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Qwerty Uiop

    Qwerty Uiop Guest

    Thanks for your replies, chaps. I've read somewhere that the cup should be
    snug against the shell to lessen the chance of it loosening but, having
    visited a bike shop where most of them weren't, I think I'll just ignore it.
    The unit is definitely the right size for the shell.
    Regards.