bottom Bracket installation question...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Me, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi I have a three year old Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame
    very easily.

    I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.

    But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.

    I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.

    I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.

    Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?

    Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?

    Look forward to your answers...

    -cheers

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi I have a three year old Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame
    > very easily.
    >
    > I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
    >
    > But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in
    by
    > any means.
    >
    > I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
    >
    > I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead
    of
    > a standard English.
    >
    > Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
    >
    > Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
    >
    > Look forward to your answers...
    >

    > -cheers

    Italian BBs should say something like 70x1.xx, and English BBs say 68x1.xx. Since I don't remember
    the exact thread counts, I'm not going to guess.

    Sometimes I've had BBs that had more crud in them than others. You may want to have your LBS chase
    out the threads before installing the new BB.

    Don't force things! That's the quickest way to really screw things up. I've had good luck with
    finicky BBs by threading in the non-drive side first to act as a guide for the drive side. If that
    don't work, off to the LBS. Hopefully, they'll teach you what you were doing wrong (if anything),
    rather than just doing it for you.

    Mike

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi I have a three year old Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very
    >> easily.
    >>
    >> I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
    >>
    >> But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in
    >by
    >> any means.
    >>
    >> I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead
    >of
    >> a standard English.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
    >>
    >> Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
    >>
    >> Look forward to your answers...
    >>

    >> -cheers
    >>

    >Italian BBs should say something like 70x1.xx, and English BBs say 68x1.xx. Since I don't remember
    >the exact thread counts, I'm not going to guess.

    68 and 70 are the respective shell widths, not the threading.

    English/ISO is 68mm wide, 1.37" x 24tpi with left hand thread on the drive side.

    Ital is 70mm wide, 36mm x 24tpi with right hand thread on both sides.

    Yes Shimano definitely makes Italian thread BBs.

    --Paul

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks Paul and Mike,

    Just checkd the BB and it has BC 1.37 stamped on the side so at least I know its an ISO English
    thread. Yea!

    So that means I'm working with the right stuff and only need to get it in.

    Mike when you wrote that a LBS should be able to cleanup the thread for me did you mean on the BB
    shell or the BB itself?

    Its a Ti frame and I have 2 other BBs that slide in by hand and no visible sign of gunk in the BB
    shell. But I've been trying my best to clean up the threads on the BB itself. Any suggestions on how
    to really get down in the threads and get out 3 years worth of locktight/grease/and clay?

    Is there a tool for such things?

    -cheers

    news:yZJda.33632$A%[email protected]...

  5. Me wrote:
    > Its a Ti frame and I have 2 other BBs that slide in by hand and no visible sign of gunk in the BB
    > shell. But I've been trying my best to clean up the threads on the BB itself. Any suggestions on
    > how to really get down in the threads and get out 3 years worth of locktight/grease/and clay?
    >
    > Is there a tool for such things?

    Soak it in Coca Cola.

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  6. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Thanks Paul and Mike,
    >
    > Just checkd the BB and it has BC 1.37 stamped on the side so at least I know its an ISO English
    > thread. Yea!
    >
    > So that means I'm working with the right stuff and only need to get it in.
    >
    > Mike when you wrote that a LBS should be able to cleanup the thread for me did you mean on the BB
    > shell or the BB itself?
    >
    > Its a Ti frame and I have 2 other BBs that slide in by hand and no visible sign of gunk in the BB
    > shell. But I've been trying my best to clean up the threads on the BB itself. Any suggestions on
    > how to really get down in the threads and get out 3 years worth of locktight/grease/and clay?
    >
    > Is there a tool for such things?

    Have you tried a wire brush? It should work well unless the threads are very fine.

    it's morning".

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    The shell.

    Mike

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Me <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thanks Paul and Mike,
    >
    >Just checkd the BB and it has BC 1.37 stamped on the side so at least I know its an ISO English
    >thread. Yea!
    >
    >So that means I'm working with the right stuff and only need to get it in.
    >
    >Mike when you wrote that a LBS should be able to cleanup the thread for me did you mean on the BB
    >shell or the BB itself?
    >
    >Its a Ti frame and I have 2 other BBs that slide in by hand and no visible sign of gunk in the BB
    >shell. But I've been trying my best to clean up the threads on the BB itself. Any suggestions on
    >how to really get down in the threads and get out 3 years worth of locktight/grease/and clay?
    >
    >Is there a tool for such things?

    Solvent and a small wire brush, then blast with air compressor.

    A bike shop could run a pair of piloted taps through it, but that may not be necessary if other BBs
    seem to fit OK.

    I would also look for damaged threads on the ill-fitting BB cups. Boogered threads can sometimes be
    fixed up with a little file or pick.

    --Paul

  9. Me

    Me Guest

    Well, I's ME the origional poster.

    From you advice thsi is what I did...

    Bought a wire brush, scrubbed out the threads...

    after that fixed cup side slid in without the need for a big wrench attached. coool!

    the adjustable was very stiff so soaked it in coca-cola for two days and the wire brushed it and it
    too slid in by hand.

    Thanks for all your advice...

    -jason

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:5xNda.33639$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Me <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Thanks Paul and Mike,
    > >
    > >Just checkd the BB and it has BC 1.37 stamped on the side so at least I
    know
    > >its an ISO English thread. Yea!
    > >
    > >So that means I'm working with the right stuff and only need to get it
    in.

    > >Mike when you wrote that a LBS should be able to cleanup the thread for
    me
    > >did you mean on the BB shell or the BB itself?
    > >
    > >Its a Ti frame and I have 2 other BBs that slide in by hand and no
    visible
    > >sign of gunk in the BB shell. But I've been trying my best to clean up
    the
    > >threads on the BB itself. Any suggestions on how to really get down in
    the
    > >threads and get out 3 years worth of locktight/grease/and clay?
    > >
    > >Is there a tool for such things?
    >
    > Solvent and a small wire brush, then blast with air compressor.
    >
    > A bike shop could run a pair of piloted taps through it, but that may not be necessary if other
    > BBs seem to fit OK.
    >
    > I would also look for damaged threads on the ill-fitting BB cups. Boogered threads can sometimes
    > be fixed up with a little file or pick.
    >
    > --Paul

  10. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Well, I's ME the origional poster.
    >
    > From you advice thsi is what I did...
    >
    > Bought a wire brush, scrubbed out the threads...
    >
    > after that fixed cup side slid in without the need for a big wrench attached. coool!
    >
    > the adjustable was very stiff so soaked it in coca-cola for two days and the wire brushed it and
    > it too slid in by hand.

    Glad you got it going!

    it's morning".

  11. Me wrote:
    > Well, I's ME the origional poster.
    >
    > From you advice thsi is what I did...
    >
    > Bought a wire brush, scrubbed out the threads...
    >
    > after that fixed cup side slid in without the need for a big wrench attached. coool!
    >
    > the adjustable was very stiff so soaked it in coca-cola for two days and the wire brushed it and
    > it too slid in by hand.
    >
    > Thanks for all your advice...

    Just love that ol' Coca Cola trick ;)

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Me wrote:
    > > Well, I's ME the origional poster.
    > >
    > > From you advice thsi is what I did...
    > >
    > > Bought a wire brush, scrubbed out the threads...
    > >
    > > after that fixed cup side slid in without the need for a big wrench attached. coool!
    > >
    > > the adjustable was very stiff so soaked it in coca-cola for two days and the wire brushed it and
    > > it too slid in by hand.
    > >
    > > Thanks for all your advice...
    > >

    > Just love that ol' Coca Cola trick ;)

    Works on toilet bowls too!

    Mike

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > Me wrote:
    > > > Well, I's ME the origional poster.
    > > >
    > > > From you advice thsi is what I did...
    > > >
    > > > Bought a wire brush, scrubbed out the threads...
    > > >
    > > > after that fixed cup side slid in without the need for a big wrench attached. coool!
    > > >
    > > > the adjustable was very stiff so soaked it in coca-cola for two days and the wire brushed it
    > > > and it too slid in by hand.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for all your advice...
    > > >

    > > Just love that ol' Coca Cola trick ;)
    > >

    > Works on toilet bowls too!
    >
    > Mike

    Which reminds me of an off-topic event that occurred around 1964. I was working in a research lab
    and the chemist, who claimed to have been Fidel Castro's Minister of Propaganda until a falling-out,
    held up a can of Coca-Cola and said, "this is very powerful and terribly corrosive".

    Maybe you had to have been there.