Bottom bracket length for Race Face Turbine LP used as double

Race Face Turbine LP crankset. Square taper bottom bracket required.
Going to use it as a 94mm bcd double crankset. Best length of bottom
bracket to buy? I'm looking at the 107mm Shimano UN models or the
103mm FSA Ultimax models. Race Face made a 107, 110, and 113 length
bottom bracket for this crankset in its triple mode.

[email protected] wrote:
> Race Face Turbine LP crankset. Square taper bottom bracket required.
> Going to use it as a 94mm bcd double crankset. Best length of bottom
> bracket to buy? I'm looking at the 107mm Shimano UN models or the
> 103mm FSA Ultimax models. Race Face made a 107, 110, and 113 length
> bottom bracket for this crankset in its triple mode.

On my road bike when I went from a double to a triple (Shimano 600 9s
rings, tripizer ring) I went from a 113mm to a 118mm. To achieve
perfect chainline I calculated I would need a 119mm, but don't think
they are made. So deduct ~6mm from what ever is used for a triple.

My guess would be you would want the 103mm, but why not just throw in a
square taper bb of any length, measure how far the chainline is off and
do the math?

-Nate

Llatikcuf wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Race Face Turbine LP crankset. Square taper bottom bracket required.
> > Going to use it as a 94mm bcd double crankset. Best length of bottom
> > bracket to buy? I'm looking at the 107mm Shimano UN models or the
> > 103mm FSA Ultimax models. Race Face made a 107, 110, and 113 length
> > bottom bracket for this crankset in its triple mode.

> On my road bike when I went from a double to a triple (Shimano 600 9s
> rings, tripizer ring) I went from a 113mm to a 118mm. To achieve
> perfect chainline I calculated I would need a 119mm, but don't think
> they are made. So deduct ~6mm from what ever is used for a triple.
>
> My guess would be you would want the 103mm, but why not just throw in a
> square taper bb of any length, measure how far the chainline is off and
> do the math?
>
> -Nate

1. I am guessing the BB length for the triple is 107, 110, or 113.
Not sure. Race face made all three lengths of square taper bottom
bracket. Tried searching the web and could not find any information on
the official BB length for this crank in triple configuration. Have
not emailed Race Face yet. Checked the data base of BB lengths at
Harris Cyclery. Typically, Race Face was not listed at all.

2. When I posed the question, I owned no bottom bracket to
test/measure the chainline with. I ride Campagnolo. I don't want to
test the chainline with my spare 111mm AC-H bottom bracket with
different tapers. I also don't want to buy new bottom brackets of
various lengths to use for testing and then try to return them.

3. Last night while riding with a friend, I remembered he had given a
titanium 103mm square taper bottom bracket, used on Dura Ace cranks
from the mid 1990s, to another friend to use on his son's bike. But he
also gave him a XTR bottom bracket too. So hopefully the other friend
used the XTR in his son's bike and I can use/test the 103 titanium
bottom bracket. My problems might be solved cheaply.

4. I'm guessing the 103mm BB length may be the most appropriate also
because I intend to run 48-30 chainrings. So having the 48 perfectly
centered on the rear cluster might be the best chainline.