bottom bracket length/ss conversion

bonegirl

Mar 28, 2004
Hey I removed the inner & outer rings up front (for ss) and was just wondering if I would have to switch to a bottoom bracket with a shorter spindle length. There is a horrible sound while back peddling. I have the bottom bracket on that that particular crankset was using. Even bought a new one and same ugly sound. BB in correctly and lots of grease. What gives? Thanks for your replies.

bonegirl said:
Hey I removed the inner & outer rings up front (for ss) and was just wondering if I would have to switch to a bottoom bracket with a shorter spindle length. There is a horrible sound while back peddling. I have the bottom bracket on that that particular crankset was using. Even bought a new one and same ugly sound. BB in correctly and lots of grease. What gives? Thanks for your replies.
How far off do you think your chainline is? Have you tried putting spacers on the inside of the crankset to move the ring inward? I can think of no reason that a well maintained BB should make noises itself when backpedaling.

yer right, there is no good reason for that, cept some dumbass (me) over-tightening the BB while putting it in.