Bottom bracket on Giant Iguans disc

jknight118

Jun 24, 2004
I'm new to this forum so please take it easy on me. I have a 2003 Giant Iguana disc. I want to replace the bottom bracket and crankset but my local bike shop keeps telling me I need to measure the bottom bracket before I purchase a new one. I go to Giant's website and listall the specs for my bike except bottom bracket size. Can anyone help? I am looking at a race face bottom bracket and race face crankset. Any help is appreciated.:D

Originally posted by jknight118
I'm new to this forum so please take it easy on me. I have a 2003 Giant Iguana disc. I want to replace the bottom bracket and crankset but my local bike shop keeps telling me I need to measure the bottom bracket before I purchase a new one. I go to Giant's website and listall the specs for my bike except bottom bracket size. Can anyone help? I am looking at a race face bottom bracket and race face crankset. Any help is appreciated.:D

My first suggestion is to go to a different Bike Shop. It is unacceptable that the shop is asking YOU to know which BB you require.

However the answer to your question is: 68 x 113

Originally posted by Postie
My first suggestion is to go to a different Bike Shop. It is unacceptable that the shop is asking YOU to know which BB you require.

However the answer to your question is: 68 x 113
And what if his BB shell width is 73mm? If one does not know, It's easy enough to measure to be sure.

Take the BB out and read what's on the label. ;)

If you know that you are going to get a RaceFace BB, knowing the BB shell width isn't a vital issue; they come with a spacer so that they can fit both 68 and 73mm shells.

OR the slack option: buy one of the new two-piece cranksets (Shimano Hollowtech-II or RaceFace X-Type) that has an integrated bottom bracket. :)