Bottom Bracket Overhaul Problem

Allan

Guest
Overhauling my FSA MegaExo (with external sealed cartridges) bottom bracket
today and I inadvertently broke the cartridge seal on the drive side when I
was trying to extract the crank shaft. The seal is made of thin plastic and
it cracked and came off the cartridge.

I've removed and reinstalled the BB before with no problem, but this time
the cartridge wouldn't release from the crank shaft. When I used a mallet to
coax the crank shaft off, it broke the seal.

What are my options here? Can I just get a new plastic seal or do you think
my BB is toasted?

Allan wrote:
> Overhauling my FSA MegaExo (with external sealed cartridges) bottom bracket
> today and I inadvertently broke the cartridge seal on the drive side when I
> was trying to extract the crank shaft. The seal is made of thin plastic and
> it cracked and came off the cartridge.
>
> I've removed and reinstalled the BB before with no problem, but this time
> the cartridge wouldn't release from the crank shaft. When I used a mallet to
> coax the crank shaft off, it broke the seal.
>
> What are my options here? Can I just get a new plastic seal or do you think
> my BB is toasted?

These things pop off easilty. Send me your address and I'll send ya a
seal from a toasted one-

> These things pop off easilty. Send me your address and I'll send ya a
> seal from a toasted one-

Thanks for the offer, but I just got one from my LBS. I'll be extra
careful when next time I do this though.