bottom bracket overhaul trek 1500sl?

fordguru

Apr 15, 2009
ok i have a clicking sound coming from the turning of the pedals. it only happens when applying force on the left side pedal at about the 3 to 6 o"clock downstroke location. i cannot make it click with the power coming from my right foot only and it is not hitting the derailer and the chainrings are tight.

i am gonna relube the pedals and overhaul the bottom bracket to start. because i figure it could use it. i have just hit 3000 miles on this bike and it is 2 seasons old and has seen very little rain, maybe alot of washing thought. lol...

i have s shimano ultegra triple ring crankset.
what tools will i need to overhaul this bottom bracket?

thanks in advance for any help!

jason

fordguru said:
ok i have a clicking sound coming from the turning of the pedals. it only happens when applying force on the left side pedal at about the 3 to 6 o"clock downstroke location. i cannot make it click with the power coming from my right foot only and it is not hitting the derailer and the chainrings are tight.

i am gonna relube the pedals and overhaul the bottom bracket to start. because i figure it could use it. i have just hit 3000 miles on this bike and it is 2 seasons old and has seen very little rain, maybe alot of washing thought. lol...

i have s shimano ultegra triple ring crankset.
what tools will i need to overhaul this bottom bracket?

thanks in advance for any help!

jason

Ride the bike without cycling shoes first. Most noises are pedal/shoe/cleat problems. If there is still noise, try to swap pedals to see if it's the LH pedal. If still noisy, then BB.

If an Octalink type crank, the crank bolts are self extractors. 8mm allen wrench and lefty-loosey. Then a park or shimano Octalink BB cup tool.

Like this

Park Tool Website

If a more modern 2 piece Hollowtech II crank, 5mm allen wrench for the left hand arm, crank arm off, right hand crank arm off, then a tool like this for the BB cups. The right hand cup is probably LEFT threaded, it loosens clockwise.

Park Tool Website

Also check chainring bolts, seatpost, saddle, could be from anywhere.

thanks you for your advice. when i got home i read this message and went and checked the pedals first and sure enough one was a little loose. problem solved !
i am still gonna pick up these tools for future use. :)
thanks

fordguru said:
thanks you for your advice. when i got home i read this message and went and checked the pedals first and sure enough one was a little loose. problem solved !
i am still gonna pick up these tools for future use. :)
thanks

Huzza!