Bottom Bracket Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Me, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.

    I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.

    But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.

    I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.

    I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.

    Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?

    Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?

    Look forward to your answers...

    -cheers

    Tags:

  2. Me wrote:
    > Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.
    >
    > I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
    >
    > But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.
    >
    > I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
    >
    > I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.
    >
    > Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
    >
    > Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
    >
    > Look forward to your answers...
    >

    > -cheers

    Yes, shitmano builds Italian BBs. you can tell british from italian ( ignoring the size/threada
    count) because the fixed cup(drive side) is a standard (righty/tighty) thread in the Ital. it is
    reverse in a british. you can also (sometimes) tell by spindle lenght but i'm not going into that.

  3. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:56:37 -0900, James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Me wrote:
    >> Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.
    >>
    >> I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
    >>
    >> But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.
    >>
    >> I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
    >>
    >> Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
    >>
    >> Look forward to your answers...
    >>

    >> -cheers
    >>

    > Yes, shitmano builds Italian BBs. you can tell british from italian ( ignoring the size/threada
    > count) because the fixed cup(drive side) is a standard (righty/tighty) thread in the Ital. it is
    > reverse in a british. you can also (sometimes) tell by spindle lenght but i'm not going into that.

    Italian bottom brackets are also bigger in diameter. They are also marked 36x24 on the cup. Youb
    really shouldn't be able to mistake them.

    Miles