Bottom Bracket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Me

Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.

I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.

But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.

I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.

I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.

Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?

Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?

Look forward to your answers...

-cheers

Me wrote:
> Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.
>
> I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
>
> But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.
>
> I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
>
> I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.
>
> Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
>
> Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
>
> Look forward to your answers...
>
>
> -cheers
>
>

Yes, shitmano builds Italian BBs. you can tell british from italian ( ignoring the size/threada
count) because the fixed cup(drive side) is a standard (righty/tighty) thread in the Ital. it is
reverse in a british. you can also (sometimes) tell by spindle lenght but i'm not going into that.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:56:37 -0900, James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Me wrote:
>> Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.
>>
>> I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
>>
>> But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.
>>
>> I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
>>
>> I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.
>>
>> Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
>>
>> Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
>>
>> Look forward to your answers...
>>
>>
>> -cheers
>>
>>
>
> Yes, shitmano builds Italian BBs. you can tell british from italian ( ignoring the size/threada
> count) because the fixed cup(drive side) is a standard (righty/tighty) thread in the Ital. it is
> reverse in a british. you can also (sometimes) tell by spindle lenght but i'm not going into that.
>
>

Italian bottom brackets are also bigger in diameter. They are also marked 36x24 on the cup. Youb
really shouldn't be able to mistake them.

Miles

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Status
Not open for further replies.