Bottom Bracket Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Me, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me

Me Guest

Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.

I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.

But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.

I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.

I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.

Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?

Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?

Look forward to your answers...

-cheers

Tags:

2. Me wrote:
    > Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.
    >
    > I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
    >
    > But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.
    >
    > I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
    >
    > I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.
    >
    > Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
    >
    > Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
    >
    > Look forward to your answers...
    >
    >
    > -cheers
    >
    >

Yes, shitmano builds Italian BBs. you can tell british from italian ( ignoring the size/threada
    count) because the fixed cup(drive side) is a standard (righty/tighty) thread in the Ital. it is
    reverse in a british. you can also (sometimes) tell by spindle lenght but i'm not going into that.

3. Miles Todd

Miles Todd Guest

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:56:37 -0900, James Connell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Me wrote:
    >> Hi I have a Shimano UN91 BB and it doesn't seem to be screwing into my frame very easily.
    >>
    >> I've tried 2 other Shimano BBs and they both go in by hand.
    >>
    >> But neither side of this one is easy to put more than a thread or two in by any means.
    >>
    >> I'm afraid to put a wrench on it and give it some torque for fear of damaging my frame.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if perhaps this could be an Italian thread pitch instead of a standard English.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if Shimano makes Italian threaded stuff?
    >>
    >> Also, how do I tell from looking at it if I have an italian or english bottom bracket?
    >>
    >> Look forward to your answers...
    >>
    >>
    >> -cheers
    >>
    >>
    >
    > Yes, shitmano builds Italian BBs. you can tell british from italian ( ignoring the size/threada
    > count) because the fixed cup(drive side) is a standard (righty/tighty) thread in the Ital. it is
    > reverse in a british. you can also (sometimes) tell by spindle lenght but i'm not going into that.
    >
    >

Italian bottom brackets are also bigger in diameter. They are also marked 36x24 on the cup. Youb
    really shouldn't be able to mistake them.

Miles

--
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.