Bottom bracket removal

Jerry

Guest
Hi,

I'm trying to remove a worn out BB from a 1999 Giant Alu Boulder shock. The
BB is a sealed cartridge type with Shimano type splines, I'm assuming it is
an actual Shimano unit but can't be sure. The metal collar came out
anti-clockwise very easily from the non-drive side. (It has no markings). I
was expecting that the main unit would therefore be left threaded and come
out of the drive side clockwise but I can't budge it despite loads of WD-40.

Does anyone know if clockwise is the correct direction to turn it? One of
the problems is that the extractor tool keeps jumping out when I apply
torque so I don't want to experiment too much in case of damaging the
splines.

Thanks for any help
Jerry

"Jerry" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm trying to remove a worn out BB from a 1999 Giant Alu
> Boulder shock.

> Does anyone know if clockwise is the correct direction to turn it?

Yes, it's a left-hand thread.

> One of the problems is that the extractor tool keeps jumping out
> when I apply torque so I don't want to experiment too much in
> case of damaging the splines.

You could try securing the extractor to the unit, either with an M8 bolt
through the tool into the spindle, or if the spindle is hollow, a
quick-release skewer.

James Thomson

Thanks, much appreciated.

Jerry

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jerry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to remove a worn out BB from a 1999 Giant Alu
> > Boulder shock.

> > Does anyone know if clockwise is the correct direction to turn it?

> Yes, it's a left-hand thread.
>
> > One of the problems is that the extractor tool keeps jumping out
> > when I apply torque so I don't want to experiment too much in
> > case of damaging the splines.

> You could try securing the extractor to the unit, either with an M8 bolt
> through the tool into the spindle, or if the spindle is hollow, a
> quick-release skewer.
>
> James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jerry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to remove a worn out BB from a 1999 Giant Alu
> > Boulder shock.

> > Does anyone know if clockwise is the correct direction to turn it?

> Yes, it's a left-hand thread.
>
> > One of the problems is that the extractor tool keeps jumping out
> > when I apply torque so I don't want to experiment too much in
> > case of damaging the splines.

> You could try securing the extractor to the unit, either with an M8 bolt
> through the tool into the spindle, or if the spindle is hollow, a
> quick-release skewer.

I'd add that you really *have* to do this unless you have a tool that has a
locking mechanism. The teeth are just too shallow and the torque too high. If
you have the typical type that is meant for a socket wrench, just use an
open-end wrench instead after bolting/skewering through the socket drive hole.
I've sometimes even resorted to a pipe wrench. Make sure you grease the
threads well on the new BB.

Thanks for that, following the tips I'll make sure to use an M8 bolt. (Don't
actually have one to hand so will leave the old BB drenched in WD40 until
I've got one!).

Jerry

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Jerry" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to remove a worn out BB from a 1999 Giant Alu
> > > Boulder shock.

> > > Does anyone know if clockwise is the correct direction to turn it?

> > Yes, it's a left-hand thread.
> >
> > > One of the problems is that the extractor tool keeps jumping out
> > > when I apply torque so I don't want to experiment too much in
> > > case of damaging the splines.

> > You could try securing the extractor to the unit, either with an M8 bolt
> > through the tool into the spindle, or if the spindle is hollow, a
> > quick-release skewer.

> I'd add that you really *have* to do this unless you have a tool that has

> locking mechanism. The teeth are just too shallow and the torque too high.

If
> you have the typical type that is meant for a socket wrench, just use an
> open-end wrench instead after bolting/skewering through the socket drive

hole.
> I've sometimes even resorted to a pipe wrench. Make sure you grease the
> threads well on the new BB.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:27:34 +0100, "Jerry"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for that, following the tips I'll make sure to use an M8 bolt. (Don't
>actually have one to hand so will leave the old BB drenched in WD40 until
>I've got one!).

Make sure that the bolt you get has an 8x1.0 thread, not the more
common 8x1.25mm; take one of the crank bolts along to the store to
match the thread pitch or you'll probably end up with the wrong one.

Beware of somebody trying to tell you that it's actually a 5/16 SAE
fine thread bolt; that's close, but not right.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Thanks for the tip - my local huge DIY warehouse only had the 1.25 type, but
I've managed to source some 1mm ones over the net.

Thanks, Jerry

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:27:34 +0100, "Jerry"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for that, following the tips I'll make sure to use an M8 bolt.

(Don't
> >actually have one to hand so will leave the old BB drenched in WD40 until
> >I've got one!).

> Make sure that the bolt you get has an 8x1.0 thread, not the more
> common 8x1.25mm; take one of the crank bolts along to the store to
> match the thread pitch or you'll probably end up with the wrong one.
>
> Beware of somebody trying to tell you that it's actually a 5/16 SAE
> fine thread bolt; that's close, but not right.
> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> Some gardening required to reply via email.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Thanks for all the tips, the bolt did the trick - can't tell you what a
great feeling it was when that BB started to turn!

Jerry
news:[email protected]...