Bottom bracket removal

Owen Cook

Guest
I found a tool that looked like it could mesh with what I guess is a
sealed bottom bracket bearing.

So thought I'd remove the crank and try the tool. Managed to remove the
crank retaing bolt ( See http://www.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/bb.jpg ) but
the crank was a different problem.

Would I be correct in assuming that the crank should just slide off (with
gentle persuasion). Tried a puller but coudn't get a proper hold due to
the shape of rear part of the crank.

Any advice welcome.

TIA

Owen

Owen Cook wrote:
> I found a tool that looked like it could mesh with what I guess is a
> sealed bottom bracket bearing.
>
> So thought I'd remove the crank and try the tool. Managed to remove the
> crank retaing bolt ( See http://www.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/bb.jpg ) but
> the crank was a different problem.
>
> Would I be correct in assuming that the crank should just slide off (with
> gentle persuasion). Tried a puller but coudn't get a proper hold due to
> the shape of rear part of the crank.
>
> Any advice welcome.
>

> TIA
>

> Owen

The crank's normally on pretty tight, on a taper. It needs a purpose made
extractor to remove without damage.

--
Karen

And thanks to Tam at aus.bicycle for the cool new nick :)

"Sometimes I think I have a Guardian Idiot - a little invisible spirit just
behind my shoulder, looking out for me ... only he's an imbecile" - Jake Stonebender

Owen Cook wrote:

> Would I be correct in assuming that the crank should
> just slide off (with gentle persuasion). Tried a puller
> but coudn't get a proper hold due to the shape of
> rear part of the crank.

You can buy a tool that screws into the threads in the front of the crank, and then pushes the axle out of the middle. The axle is a taper, and it's fairly well wedged into the crank, so the tool is a pretty good idea.

Cheers,

Suzy

"Owen Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> I found a tool that looked like it could mesh with what I guess is a
> sealed bottom bracket bearing.
>
> So thought I'd remove the crank and try the tool. Managed to remove the
> crank retaing bolt ( See http://www.pcug.org.au/~rcook/images/bb.jpg ) but
> the crank was a different problem.
>
> Would I be correct in assuming that the crank should just slide off (with
> gentle persuasion). Tried a puller but coudn't get a proper hold due to
> the shape of rear part of the crank.

You need the right tools for the job if you don't want to bugger things up.
You'll need a crank removal tool to get the cranks off and then a special
socket to remove the bearing cap if the one you've found doesn't fit
(keeping in mind those caps usually stick in there like blazes and one
side's usually reverse threaded)
Park Tool has some great guides with pics. See
http://www.parktool.com/repair/. Click on the bottom bracket and select
either cranks or bottom brackets.