bottom bracket roughness

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tburtim, May 2, 2003.

  1. Tburtim

    Tburtim Guest

    I removed my sealed BB on a Trek 1000 to try and find clicking noise. After I got it out a noticed a
    catch in it as it turned. It seems to spin OK but there is a definite notch in the bearings or
    spindle. Is there any way to break it down? Is this normal for sealed cartridge BB? The bike has
    app. 2000 miles on it with no serious crashes or damage from the elements. I would have thought the
    sealed cartridge would last longer. Thanks for any advice.

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    T? Burtim writes:

    > I removed my sealed BB on a Trek 1000 to try and find clicking noise. After I got it out a noticed
    > a catch in it as it turned. It seems to spin OK but there is a definite notch in the bearings or
    > spindle. Is there any way to break it down? Is this normal for sealed cartridge BB? The bike has
    > app. 2000 miles on it with no serious crashes or damage from the elements. I would have thought
    > the sealed cartridge would last longer. Thanks for any advice.

    Intermittent or random clicks of variable sharpness from ball bearings are caused by rust. Amazingly
    tiny particles of rust will cause major clicks, so much so that when inspected, the lube can appear
    uniformly pink as though that were the original color of the lube. In most cases, especially with
    cup-and-cone bearings, cleaning is easy and re-lubricating will return the unit to service. Even
    cartridge bearings can be cleaned by removing the seals, that are invariably there, and replacing
    them after cleaning and repacking with automotive wheel bearing grease.

    Jobst Brandt jobst.brandt@stanfordalumni.org Palo Alto CA

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "TBurtim" <tburtim@aol.com> wrote in message news:20030502133330.13277.00000395@mb-m10.aol.com...
    > I removed my sealed BB on a Trek 1000 to try and find clicking noise.
    After I
    > got it out a noticed a catch in it as it turned. It seems to spin OK but
    there
    > is a definite notch in the bearings or spindle. Is there any way to break
    it
    > down? Is this normal for sealed cartridge BB? The bike has app. 2000 miles
    on
    > it with no serious crashes or damage from the elements. I would have
    thought
    > the sealed cartridge would last longer. Thanks for any advice.

    "Sealed cartridge" as you say crank bearing assemblies exist for one reason: They save assembly time
    and money. No one pretends they are as good as the loose-ball models they replaced.

    You are not important in the greater scheme of these trends nor am I. The customers who count are
    the factory manager and the bike designer. If a bicycle can be produced ten seconds faster or ten
    cents cheaper with any given gimmick or technique then that will quickly become the norm. (cf.
    Aheadsets).

    Not to say these cannot be done well. Phil Wood and later Mavic, Stronglight and others did a fine
    job of it. But not within the cost constraints of a Trek 1000. If Trek were to offer an unreasonably
    high quality component someplace on the bike they would risk being uncompetitive with other brands
    by $5 or $10 and heads would roll. Therefore you have this thing in your frame as do everyone else
    who owns a similarly priced major brand bike of the same year.

    If it bothers you there are a plentitude of better BBs available.

  4. On Fri, 02 May 2003 17:33:30 +0000, TBurtim wrote:

    > I removed my sealed BB on a Trek 1000 to try and find clicking noise. After I got it out a noticed
    > a catch in it as it turned. It seems to spin OK but there is a definite notch in the bearings or
    > spindle. Is there any way to break it down? Is this normal for sealed cartridge BB?

    No and no. Toss it. $35 for a good replacement. Get the numbers off of it before you ashcan it.

    > The bike has app. 2000 miles on it with no serious crashes or damage from the elements. I would
    >have thought the sealed cartridge would last longer.

    Should, but I just replaced mine, and it had maybe 4000-5000 on it. with little of that in the rain.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    TBurtim wrote:
    > I removed my sealed BB on a Trek 1000 to try and find clicking noise. After I got it out a noticed
    > a catch in it as it turned. It seems to spin OK but there is a definite notch in the bearings or
    > spindle. Is there any way to break it down? Is this normal for sealed cartridge BB? The bike has
    > app. 2000 miles on it with no serious crashes or damage from the elements. I would have thought
    > the sealed cartridge would last longer. Thanks for any advice.

    I'd expect to get at *least* 2x that. I'm guessing that you get water in it. Probably cheap seals.

    I tried to disassemble a Shimano sealed BB and found that it wasn't designed to be user serviced
    (i.e., I trashed it during disassembly -- but I started with one that I had just replaced just
    in case :)).

    Up to you whether you continue to ride it or replace it. It's not going to critically fail and you
    could just wait for it to get loose. But, they're cheap enough and easy enough to replace that if
    it's bothering you -- just replace it. But, I'd consider upgrading from what's in there when you do
    replace it :).

    David

  6. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "David L. Johnson" <david.johnson@lehigh.edu> wrote in message
    > > Is there any way to break it down? Is this normal for sealed cartridge BB?
    >
    > No and no. Toss it. $35 for a good replacement. Get the numbers off of it before you ashcan it.

    Eeek, UN52, $20, everywhere.