Bottom bracket shaft for Shimano 68-116

GaryPaelicke

Mar 13, 2013
I've got one of these, old school, that I'd like to replace. Any lighter weight alternatives to the shaft?
I see some available on ebay etc. but wonder if anybody offers one that is hollow or at least drilled clean thru the center.
Any thoughts? Suppose I could find a machine shop but they're probably tough to drill.

AFAIK, machinists charge a considerable amount for any work done regardless of how simple the task ... I think that there may be a 1 hour minimum charge UNLESS you know someone ...

I presume that your current BB spindle has square tapers & the crank is secured with nuts -- THAT was the "cheaper" alternative to both the hollow-and-solid spindles which 'I' presume was to expedite assembly line production ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., to save a minute per bike + $1.00 in the difference between the cost of 2 nuts + washers vs. 2 'special' bolts + washers[/COLOR]) ...

FYI. Hollow square taper spindles were made by both Shimano (JIS) & Campagnolo (ISO) ...

If your tapers are symmetrical, then if you cannot find a separate spindle (which will probably be 113mm OR 118mm, the former is asymmetrical ... I'm not sure about 118mm spindles ... 115mm are symmetrical ... I'm not sure about YOUR 116mm spindle) ...

• AND, if you plan to continue to use your current crankset ...

Then, you should consider replacing the current BB with a Shimano (or, other brand) CARTRIDGE Bottom Bracket ...

• the more expensive the Shimano cartridge BB, the lighter ... with Dura Ace & XTR being the lightest ([COLOR= #808080]but, due to the metal sleeve/etc. they still tend to be a little on the porky side when compared to a separate spindle & bearings & cups[/COLOR]) ...

But, IMO, a better option may be to bite-the-bullet & buy either a Shimano Hollowtech II or an FSA MegaExo crankset + BB cups (the two brands are interchangeable ... ([COLOR= #808080]some people have found that the FSA bearings do not last as long as Shimano's[/COLOR]) ...

BTW. I'm still a big fan of Shimano's now-obsolete Octalink BBs & Cranksets ...

I'm also a fan of Campagnolo's Record-and-Chorus square taper BBs ([COLOR= #0000ff]102mm[/COLOR]) & Cranksets ...

• I am still trying to embrace the external bearing ([COLOR= #0000cd]e.g., Hollowtech II, MegaExo, Ultra Torque & Power Torque[/COLOR]) Bottom Brackets & Cranks ...
  • I guess THAT may mean that some of my bikes and I have been trapped in a time warp!?!

Thanks for all the thoughts. You think you are in a time warp! This road bike is old, but I still like it, put new components on the old steel frame... plus we have 2 kids in college $$...
anyway the current 116 shaft is symmetric with square tapered fits. Ball races have a couple pits. I'll probably just replace it with the same, but thanks for some choices to investigate. Looks like a Shimano UN55 would work but not save much weight.