bottom bracket sizing

tmackinator

Banned
May 17, 2006
Hi, I have an older ten speed with Italian threads for the bottom bracket. Presently it has the original BB with loose ball bearings and cups. I'm planing to use a campagnolo record crank set with a cartrige bottom bracket. How do I know what lenth to use? I see 106 mm, 111 mmm and some other sizes listed. I suspect I need the 106mm as the longer ones seem to be used with triple crank sets. The freewheel is a 14-28, the rear derailleur is a nuovo record as is the front derailleur. Thanks Tom M

70mmx106 should do the trick for a triple. If in doubt, ask the mechanic at your LBS to look it up for you. It should be in the shop reference book for parts. :rolleyes:

tmackinator said:
Hi, I have an older ten speed with Italian threads for the bottom bracket. Presently it has the original BB with loose ball bearings and cups. I'm planing to use a campagnolo record crank set with a cartrige bottom bracket. How do I know what lenth to use? I see 106 mm, 111 mmm and some other sizes listed. I suspect I need the 106mm as the longer ones seem to be used with triple crank sets. The freewheel is a 14-28, the rear derailleur is a nuovo record as is the front derailleur. Thanks Tom M

tmackinator said:

If you are using a new Record crank, then you need a 102mm cartridge BB. The Record and Chorus use a 111 asymmetric for use with Chorus and Record triples only. The symmetric 111mm BBs are for Mirage, Veloce and Centaur cranksets with doubles on all frames or triple cranksets on a 28.6mm seattube diameter frame (older steel frames). The 115mm is for Mirage, Veloce and Centaur with triples on all other frames.