Bottom Bracket Threads

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Graham, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Graham

    Graham Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C3E34E.80C82360 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel = frame seem to be stripped !
    Is this terminal for the frame or is there = life in the old dog yet ?

    TIA

    Graham ------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C3E34E.80C82360 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
    Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
    Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
    name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket = threads on=20 my old
    LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped ! Is this terminal for the = frame=20 or is there life
    in the old dog yet ?</FONT></DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C3E34E.80C82360--

    Tags:

  2. Graham-<< Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel = frame seem to be
    stripped ! Is this terminal for the frame or is there = life in the old dog yet ? >><BR><BR>

    A good BB thread tap may clean them up well enough to use. If not you could have a framebuilder tap
    to Italian or use the Zephal, like old Mavic, slide in with lockring type BB. These don't use the
    threads but are pretty limited in lengths.

  3. Flak Monkey

    Flak Monkey Guest

  4. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Graham wrote:
    > Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped !
    > Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Graham

    Two options:-

    fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)

    if it is British threading, then possible to get it reamed out and get it Italian threaded, then a
    reasonable range of BB available.

    --
    Pete

    interchange 12 for 21 to reply

  5. Graham wrote:

    > Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped !
    > Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?

    In addition to the other answers, if you really like the frame you can have a new BB brazed in for a
    "proper" repair. This is quite expensive (Bob Jackson Cycles charge £68.75 or £93.00 depending on
    the quality of the BB shell) plus you'll have to have a respray because all the paint will get burnt
    off. Still a lot cheaper than a new frame.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Graham wrote:

    > Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped !
    > Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?

    Consult a frame repair shop. Threads may be filled, cut larger, or a thread-independent BB
    installed.

  7. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped
    >> ! Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?

    There's stripped and there's stripped. Have a good shop run a set of real piloted taps-not just chasers-
    through the BB.You may get enough thread back to work. Phil Brown

  8. Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)

    I have to use these, and I regret that the YST one does not last well in service; I got only a few
    thousand miles out of one. Irritatingly, I don't know the manufacturer of my current one, which has
    held up much better, because it's inside the BB shell.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel = frame seem to be stripped
    >! Is this terminal for the frame or is there = life in the old dog yet ?

    Depends. I would take the frame to a bike shop that has the proper tools to see if your BB threads
    can be chased and re-used. If the threads are shot, you might want to see if it can be converted to
    italian threading. If that is not possible, there are some companies that sell BB that do not
    require haveing a threaded BB. Mavic is one, though they have been out of production for a while and
    might not be that easy to find.
    --------------
    Alex

  10. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 26 Jan 2004 06:46:00 GMT, [email protected] (Phil Brown) may
    have said:

    >>> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped
    >>> ! Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?
    >>>
    >There's stripped and there's stripped. Have a good shop run a set of real piloted taps-not just chasers-
    >through the BB.You may get enough thread back to work.

    And there are BBs with different lengths of threaded collar. If the old one was a short-thread
    version, merely chasing the shell's threads and going to a BB with a longer threaded section can
    solve the problem. (I got lucky on this recently with a neighbor's bike.)

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  11. David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<DnB*[email protected]>...
    > Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)
    >
    > I have to use these, and I regret that the YST one does not last well in service; I got only a few
    > thousand miles out of one. Irritatingly, I don't know the manufacturer of my current one, which
    > has held up much better, because it's inside the BB shell.

    There's also the Stronglight JP1000, which Deeside Cycles used to sell (and may well still do); also
    try Spa Cycles in Harrogate. Expensive at 40-something quid a go, but ought to be up to their usual
    standards (haven't used one myself, but have used a lot of other Stronglight products - only the
    flagship titanium SBB has let me down to date; I don't think it's well-suited to cyclo-cross
    conditions), and probably cheaper than getting a framebuilder to sort out your threading and still
    having to shell (no pun intended!!) out for a new BB unit on top of that.

    David E. Belcher

  12. Gwyn Oakley

    Gwyn Oakley Guest

    In message <DnB*[email protected]>
    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)

    Stronglight also make one, the JP1000, I think. No as good as the sadly obsolete Mavic unit but
    definitely better than the YST version