Bottom Bracket Threads

Graham

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C3E34E.80C82360 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel = frame seem to be stripped !
Is this terminal for the frame or is there = life in the old dog yet ?

TIA

Graham ------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C3E34E.80C82360 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-
Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-
Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276"
name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket = threads on=20 my old
LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped ! Is this terminal for the = frame=20 or is there life
in the old dog yet ?</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00D6_01C3E34E.80C82360--

Graham-<< Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel = frame seem to be
stripped ! Is this terminal for the frame or is there = life in the old dog yet ? >><BR><BR>

A good BB thread tap may clean them up well enough to use. If not you could have a framebuilder tap
to Italian or use the Zephal, like old Mavic, slide in with lockring type BB. These don't use the
threads but are pretty limited in lengths.

Graham wrote:
> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped !
> Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

Two options:-

fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)

if it is British threading, then possible to get it reamed out and get it Italian threaded, then a
reasonable range of BB available.

--
Pete

interchange 12 for 21 to reply

Graham wrote:

> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped !
> Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?

In addition to the other answers, if you really like the frame you can have a new BB brazed in for a
"proper" repair. This is quite expensive (Bob Jackson Cycles charge £68.75 or £93.00 depending on
the quality of the BB shell) plus you'll have to have a respray because all the paint will get burnt
off. Still a lot cheaper than a new frame.

Graham wrote:

> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped !
> Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?

Consult a frame repair shop. Threads may be filled, cut larger, or a thread-independent BB
installed.

>> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped
>> ! Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?

There's stripped and there's stripped. Have a good shop run a set of real piloted taps-not just chasers-
through the BB.You may get enough thread back to work. Phil Brown

Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
>fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)

I have to use these, and I regret that the YST one does not last well in service; I got only a few
thousand miles out of one. Irritatingly, I don't know the manufacturer of my current one, which has
held up much better, because it's inside the BB shell.

>Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel = frame seem to be stripped
>! Is this terminal for the frame or is there = life in the old dog yet ?

Depends. I would take the frame to a bike shop that has the proper tools to see if your BB threads
can be chased and re-used. If the threads are shot, you might want to see if it can be converted to
italian threading. If that is not possible, there are some companies that sell BB that do not
require haveing a threaded BB. Mavic is one, though they have been out of production for a while and
might not be that easy to find.
--------------
Alex

On 26 Jan 2004 06:46:00 GMT, [email protected] (Phil Brown) may
have said:

>>> Just discovered that the Bottom Bracket threads on my old LeMond steel frame seem to be stripped
>>> ! Is this terminal for the frame or is there life in the old dog yet ?
>>>
>There's stripped and there's stripped. Have a good shop run a set of real piloted taps-not just chasers-
>through the BB.You may get enough thread back to work.

And there are BBs with different lengths of threaded collar. If the old one was a short-thread
version, merely chasing the shell's threads and going to a BB with a longer threaded section can
solve the problem. (I got lucky on this recently with a neighbor's bike.)

it's also possible that I'm busy.

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<DnB*[email protected]>...
> Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)
>
> I have to use these, and I regret that the YST one does not last well in service; I got only a few
> thousand miles out of one. Irritatingly, I don't know the manufacturer of my current one, which
> has held up much better, because it's inside the BB shell.

There's also the Stronglight JP1000, which Deeside Cycles used to sell (and may well still do); also
try Spa Cycles in Harrogate. Expensive at 40-something quid a go, but ought to be up to their usual
standards (haven't used one myself, but have used a lot of other Stronglight products - only the
flagship titanium SBB has let me down to date; I don't think it's well-suited to cyclo-cross
conditions), and probably cheaper than getting a framebuilder to sort out your threading and still
having to shell (no pun intended!!) out for a new BB unit on top of that.

David E. Belcher

In message <DnB*[email protected]>
David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pete Whelan <[email protected]> wrote:
> >fit a threadless bottom bracket (limited range of sizes available) (Wiggle do a YST one)

Stronglight also make one, the JP1000, I think. No as good as the sadly obsolete Mavic unit but
definitely better than the YST version

> I have to use these, and I regret that the YST one does not last well in service; I got only a
> few thousand miles out of one. Irritatingly, I don't know the manufacturer of my current one,
> which has held up much better, because it's inside the BB shell.

--
Gwyn