bottom bracket tool question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bildom, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Bildom

    Bildom Guest

    I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
    sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the retaining
    rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

    Tags:

  2. ...Who Cares

    ...Who Cares Guest

    your stuffed

    "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
    > sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
    > retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
    > sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
    > retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

    There's a small plug that covers the larger spindle opening, Shimano TL-FC-15. Available cheap
    at any LBS.

  4. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
    > sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
    > retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

    Hi I Cant speak for Park tools but the Shimano tool is TL-UN74. It has a larger hole in it to let
    it fit over the larger axle. Any Good LBS should have one. All the best.

    Stan Cox

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:49:20 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
    >> sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
    >> retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill
    >
    >There's a small plug that covers the larger spindle opening, Shimano TL-FC-15. Available cheap
    >at any LBS.

    Andy, you're referring to the crank puller; the original poster was asking about the BB tool.

    I have sitting on the desk in front of me two versions of the Park Shimano BB tool. BOTH are labeled
    BBT-2, but they are significantly different. The newer one has a deeper recess to accommodate the
    splined BB, but the splines on the tools that engage the BB "cups" are identical. Both have 3/8"
    socket drive holes, but the external hex sections are different. The older one (that works with
    square taper BBs) has a 20mm hex drive, while the newer splined BB tool has a 32mm hex.

    Check out: http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_2.shtml. This pictures the newer version of the BBT-2,
    which will work with both types of BB.