bottom bracket tool question

Bildom

Guest
I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the retaining
rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

your stuffed

"BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
> sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
> retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

"BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
> sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
> retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

There's a small plug that covers the larger spindle opening, Shimano TL-FC-15. Available cheap
at any LBS.

"BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
> sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
> retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill

Hi I Cant speak for Park tools but the Shimano tool is TL-UN74. It has a larger hole in it to let
it fit over the larger axle. Any Good LBS should have one. All the best.

Stan Cox

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:49:20 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"BilDom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I need to locate the correct tool to install/remove a splined bb. I have two of the older style
>> sockets that work on a square tapered bb, but they won't reach in far enough to engage the
>> retaining rings on the splined style. What Park tool do I need? Please email. Thanks - Bill
>
>There's a small plug that covers the larger spindle opening, Shimano TL-FC-15. Available cheap
>at any LBS.

Andy, you're referring to the crank puller; the original poster was asking about the BB tool.

I have sitting on the desk in front of me two versions of the Park Shimano BB tool. BOTH are labeled
BBT-2, but they are significantly different. The newer one has a deeper recess to accommodate the
splined BB, but the splines on the tools that engage the BB "cups" are identical. Both have 3/8"
socket drive holes, but the external hex sections are different. The older one (that works with
square taper BBs) has a 20mm hex drive, while the newer splined BB tool has a 32mm hex.

Check out: http://www.parktool.com/tools/BBT_2.shtml. This pictures the newer version of the BBT-2,
which will work with both types of BB.