Bottom Bracket Tools??

powinc

Nov 2, 2003
Do I need special tools to remove a Dura Ace bottom bracket?

I hear a clicking noise (under load) on the chain wheel side of the crank, any suggestions what it could be? :confused:

powinc said:

I hear a clicking noise (under load) on the chain wheel side of the crank, any suggestions what it could be? :confused:
For anything up thru 9 speed cartridge type,you need a shimano cartridge BB tool. For pre cartridge type you need different tools. 10 speed type uses an even different tool. Any might be removed with a big pipe wrench if you are a real Bubba.

powinc said:

Before you take anything apart, suggest just dropping the chain off the inside chainring and spinning the crank with your fingers. If the bearings are bad, they'll feel rough and noisy.

If you need a new BB, you could visit to a good LBS who have the right tools and knowledge. They shouldn't charge that much for the service, and you'll know everything has been properly assembled and tightened.

Thanks for the advice. I think the bearings are fine, so I will drop it off to my LBS and get him to have a look at it.

powinc