bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon_H, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Jon_H

    Jon_H Guest

    I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
    configuration on the axle. couls i rplace this whith a sealed cartridge
    bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the original.
    The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance to
    the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of sizes
    available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
    running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

    cheers
    Jon_H

    Tags:

  2. "Jon_H" wrote:
    >I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
    > configuration on the axle. could i replace this whith a sealed cartridge
    > bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the
    > original.
    > The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance to
    > the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of
    > sizes
    > available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
    > running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

    What year is the Peugeot? Prior to about 1982, many French bikes had either
    French or Swiss threaded BBs. You won't find a modern BB that will work.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#bottom

    If it's a newer Peugeot, it will have standard British thread. The "121" is
    the spindle length of your current BB. You will need to get one close to
    that length in order to maintain a proper chain line and proper spacing of
    the cranks from the chainstays.

    Also see:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

    Art Harris

  3. Jon_H wrote:

    > I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
    > configuration on the axle. couls i rplace this whith a sealed cartridge
    > bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the original.
    > The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance to
    > the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of sizes
    > available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
    > running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

    This may be difficult and/or expensive, because I suspect that your bike
    uses the obsolete French threading on the bottom bracket.

    The only cartridge units that I know of currently available in French
    are Phil Wood. They're super good, but 'spensive.

    See: http://harriscyclery.com/bottombrackets

    If you're prepared to stick with cup-and-cone, we can probably come up
    with something that will work.

    See the page linked above, also these pages:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/french

    http://harriscyclery.com/french-cranks

    Sheldon "35x1" Brown
    | Men and nations behave wisely once they |
    | have exhausted all the other alternatives. |
    | -- Abba Eban |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  4. Jon_H

    Jon_H Guest

    > Jon_H wrote:
    >
    > > I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
    > > configuration on the axle. couls i rplace this whith a sealed cartridge
    > > bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the

    original.
    > > The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance

    > > the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of

    sizes
    > > available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
    > > running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

    > This may be difficult and/or expensive, because I suspect that your bike
    > uses the obsolete French threading on the bottom bracket.
    >
    > The only cartridge units that I know of currently available in French
    > are Phil Wood. They're super good, but 'spensive.
    >
    > See: http://harriscyclery.com/bottombrackets
    >
    > If you're prepared to stick with cup-and-cone, we can probably come up
    > with something that will work.
    >
    > See the page linked above, also these pages:
    >
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/french
    >
    > http://harriscyclery.com/french-cranks
    >
    > Sheldon "35x1" Brown
    > +-------------------------------------------------+
    > | Men and nations behave wisely once they |
    > | have exhausted all the other alternatives. |
    > | -- Abba Eban |
    > +-------------------------------------------------+
    > Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    > Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com
    > Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    > http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    I will pay a visit to my LBS to see what he can come up with thanks for all
    the info. The bike is a british falcon rapide but has a peugeot bootm
    bracket axle. The no drive side screws in clockwise and a lockring also
    screws on clockwise to the visible remaining threads.

    I didn't take off the chainring side so not sure which way this screws on.

    cheers
    Jon_H

  5. "Jon_H" wrote:

    > The bike is a british falcon rapide but has a peugeot bootm
    > bracket axle. The no drive side screws in clockwise and a lockring also
    > screws on clockwise to the visible remaining threads.
    >
    > I didn't take off the chainring side so not sure which way this screws on.

    If it's an english bike, you're probably in luck. It most likely has
    standard British thread (1.375" x 24 tpi) with left hand thread on the drive
    side, and a 68mm BB shell.

    Art Harris