Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ben Wilson, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Ben Wilson

    Ben Wilson Guest

    i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only like
    4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its shit?

    im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my bike. would that work with
    the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so im guessing they will thanx

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Sx6%[email protected]...
    > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
    > like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its shit?
    >
    > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
    bike.
    > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so im guessing they
    > will thanx

    I sounds like it wasn't properly installed if it's only four weeks old. I'd take it back to the LBS
    you bought it from to have it looked at. It could be several things from the BB, cranks or chainring
    bolts. You could remove everything and reinstall the BB using plumbers teflon tape, then grease the
    spindles and reinstall the cranks. All to Truvativs recommended torque settings. Check the chainring
    bolts as well, take each out and grease the threads and tighten them back up. Don't ride it until
    this is done if it is a loose crank the splines will be damaged and it will be time for a new set.

    Mike

  3. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    That ISIS was a joint venture with FSA, RACEFACE, and TRUVATIV. Does that anwser your question.

    Fire up MTB 03

  4. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    I had a creaking noise in my BB, took it out, cleaned and greased it several time, and it still made
    noises....

    found out it was my seat post creaking :(

    "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Sx6%[email protected]...
    > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
    > like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its shit?
    >
    > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
    bike.
    > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so im guessing they
    > will thanx

  5. Andyc

    Andyc Guest

    I had a creaking BB, didn't take it out. Went cycling in extreme (I.e. UK) muddy conditions and it
    collapsed, had to cycle home with an inch of play in the pedals. Sh*gged my knee for a good 48 hours
    too... doh.

    But, it is usually the seatpost... ;o)

    "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:shq%[email protected]...
    > I had a creaking noise in my BB, took it out, cleaned and greased it
    several
    > time, and it still made noises....
    >
    > found out it was my seat post creaking :(

    > "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Sx6%[email protected]...
    > > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
    > > like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its shit?
    > >
    > > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
    > bike.
    > > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so
    im
    > > guessing they will thanx

  6. Ollie Wigg

    Ollie Wigg Guest

    I'm with Michael on this one. It's easy to wrongly install a bottom bracket. Probably not the fault
    of the part. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:Sx6%[email protected]...
    > > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
    > > like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its shit?
    > >
    > > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
    > bike.
    > > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so
    im
    > > guessing they will thanx
    > >

    > I sounds like it wasn't properly installed if it's only four weeks old.
    I'd
    > take it back to the LBS you bought it from to have it looked at. It could be several things from
    > the BB, cranks or chainring bolts. You could
    remove
    > everything and reinstall the BB using plumbers teflon tape, then grease
    the
    > spindles and reinstall the cranks. All to Truvativs recommended torque settings. Check the
    > chainring bolts as well, take each out and grease the threads and tighten them back up. Don't ride
    > it until this is done if it
    is
    > a loose crank the splines will be damaged and it will be time for a new
    set.

    > Mike

  7. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > That ISIS was a joint venture with FSA, RACEFACE, and TRUVATIV. Does that anwser your question.
    >
    > Fire up MTB 03

    No, it doesn't. /s Curiouser and curiouser....

  8. Ben Wilson

    Ben Wilson Guest

    yeah i have worked out my seatpost creaks to. but it does it when you standing out of the saddle
    and pedalling

    "AndyC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b1[email protected]...
    > I had a creaking BB, didn't take it out. Went cycling in extreme (I.e. UK) muddy conditions and it
    > collapsed, had
    > cycle home with an inch of play in the pedals. Sh*gged my knee for a good 48 hours too... doh.
    >
    > But, it is usually the seatpost... ;o)
    >

    > "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:shq%[email protected]...
    > > I had a creaking noise in my BB, took it out, cleaned and greased it
    > several
    > > time, and it still made noises....
    > >
    > > found out it was my seat post creaking :(

    > > "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:Sx6%[email protected]...
    > > > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be
    creaking
    > > > alot. the bike is only like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its
    > > > shit?
    > > >
    > > > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
    > > bike.
    > > > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined
    so
    > im
    > > > guessing they will thanx

  9. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Shock pivots (for me, this is 2nd to the seatpost). Swing-arm pivot. Pedals.

    I've NEVER had it actually be the BB :)

    David