Bottom Bracket

Ben Wilson

Guest
i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only like
4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its ****?

im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my bike. would that work with
the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so im guessing they will thanx

"BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Sx6%[email protected]...
> i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
> like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its ****?
>
> im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
bike.
> would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so im guessing they
> will thanx

I sounds like it wasn't properly installed if it's only four weeks old. I'd take it back to the LBS
you bought it from to have it looked at. It could be several things from the BB, cranks or chainring
bolts. You could remove everything and reinstall the BB using plumbers teflon tape, then grease the
spindles and reinstall the cranks. All to Truvativs recommended torque settings. Check the chainring
bolts as well, take each out and grease the threads and tighten them back up. Don't ride it until
this is done if it is a loose crank the splines will be damaged and it will be time for a new set.

Mike

That ISIS was a joint venture with FSA, RACEFACE, and TRUVATIV. Does that anwser your question.

Fire up MTB 03

I had a creaking noise in my BB, took it out, cleaned and greased it several time, and it still made
noises....

found out it was my seat post creaking :(

"BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Sx6%[email protected]...
> i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
> like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its ****?
>
> im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
bike.
> would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so im guessing they
> will thanx

I had a creaking BB, didn't take it out. Went cycling in extreme (I.e. UK) muddy conditions and it
collapsed, had to cycle home with an inch of play in the pedals. Sh*gged my knee for a good 48 hours
too... doh.

But, it is usually the seatpost... ;o)

"Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:shq%[email protected]...
> I had a creaking noise in my BB, took it out, cleaned and greased it
several
> time, and it still made noises....
>
> found out it was my seat post creaking :(

> "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Sx6%[email protected]...
> > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
> > like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its ****?
> >
> > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
> bike.
> > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so
im
> > guessing they will thanx

I'm with Michael on this one. It's easy to wrongly install a bottom bracket. Probably not the fault
of the part. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Sx6%[email protected]...
> > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be creaking alot. the bike is only
> > like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its ****?
> >
> > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
> bike.
> > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined so
im
> > guessing they will thanx
> >

> I sounds like it wasn't properly installed if it's only four weeks old.
I'd
> take it back to the LBS you bought it from to have it looked at. It could be several things from
> the BB, cranks or chainring bolts. You could
remove
> everything and reinstall the BB using plumbers teflon tape, then grease
the
> spindles and reinstall the cranks. All to Truvativs recommended torque settings. Check the
> chainring bolts as well, take each out and grease the threads and tighten them back up. Don't ride
> it until this is done if it
is
> a loose crank the splines will be damaged and it will be time for a new
set.

> Mike

yeah i have worked out my seatpost creaks to. but it does it when you standing out of the saddle
and pedalling

"AndyC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I had a creaking BB, didn't take it out. Went cycling in extreme (I.e. UK) muddy conditions and it
> collapsed, had
> cycle home with an inch of play in the pedals. Sh*gged my knee for a good 48 hours too... doh.
>
> But, it is usually the seatpost... ;o)
>

> "Watimena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:shq%[email protected]...
> > I had a creaking noise in my BB, took it out, cleaned and greased it
> several
> > time, and it still made noises....
> >
> > found out it was my seat post creaking :(

> > "BEN WILSON" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:Sx6%[email protected]...
> > > i have a 2003 Norco rampage and the bottom bracket seems to be
creaking
> > > alot. the bike is only like 4 weeks old. the bottom bracket is a truvativ SL. im guessing its
> > > ****?
> > >
> > > im thinking bout getting a race face evolve FR BB and putting it on my
> > bike.
> > > would that work with the truvativ cranks. they are both ISIS splined
so
> im
> > > guessing they will thanx

Shock pivots (for me, this is 2nd to the seatpost). Swing-arm pivot. Pedals.

I've NEVER had it actually be the BB :)

David