Bottom Gear Cable Race

Neil Smith

Guest
Dear All,
trying to replace an old Bottom Gear Cable Race made of plastic it crumbled.
It fitted to the frame by a button that was placed in a hole in the frame.
None of the replacement races, such as the standard Shimano races seem like
it. I can glue it on but I will still be left with a hole in the frame
beneath the bottom bracket that I am unhappy about. Is there any races about
that will button into this hole or is there a way filling this whole.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Neil

Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> trying to replace an old Bottom Gear Cable Race made of plastic it
> crumbled. It fitted to the frame by a button that was placed in a
> hole in the frame. None of the replacement races, such as the
> standard Shimano races seem like it. I can glue it on but I will
> still be left with a hole in the frame beneath the bottom bracket
> that I am unhappy about. Is there any races about that will button
> into this hole or is there a way filling this whole. Thanks for any
> suggestions.

Having an open hole in the bottom bracket shell is actually a good thing as
it allows any water that may have got in the frame to drain. Some cyclists
drill a hole if they don't have one (in addition to one for the cable
guide).

~PB

Neil Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
> trying to replace an old Bottom Gear Cable Race made of plastic it
> crumbled. It fitted to the frame by a button that was placed in a
> hole in the frame. None of the replacement races, such as the
> standard Shimano races seem like it. I can glue it on but I will
> still be left with a hole in the frame beneath the bottom bracket
> that I am unhappy about. Is there any races about that will button
> into this hole or is there a way filling this whole. Thanks for any
> suggestions.

If the hole isn't threaded then perhaps a nut could be used on the inside to
secure a screw (though that would mean removing the BB). Or you may find a
button type somewhere. Try searching for "cable guide" rather than "race".

Epoxy resin (eg Alraldite) is good for plugging up holes - though I wouldn't
do this one for the reason I mentioned earlier.

~PB

On Nov 20, 8:07 am, "Neil Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear All,
> trying to replace an old Bottom Gear Cable Race made of plastic it crumbled.
> It fitted to the frame by a button that was placed in a hole in the frame.
> None of the replacement races, such as the standard Shimano races seem like
> it. I can glue it on but I will still be left with a hole in the frame
> beneath the bottom bracket that I am unhappy about. Is there any races about
> that will button into this hole or is there a way filling this whole.
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Neil

You should probably be able to replace the plastic race with a length
of cable outer, which you could tape in place but might well stay
there by itself.

I did this years ago for our Cannondale tandem, although this was
actually for a sharp bend under the rear BB where the original design
had the cable turning round a narrow-radius pulley (a well-known
trouble spot for those bikes, which frequently fray and break cables
at this location). Anyway it has worked fine ever since.

James

In article <[email protected]>, Neil Smith
[email protected] says...
> Dear All,
> trying to replace an old Bottom Gear Cable Race made of plastic it crumbled.
> It fitted to the frame by a button that was placed in a hole in the frame.
> None of the replacement races, such as the standard Shimano races seem like
> it. I can glue it on but I will still be left with a hole in the frame
> beneath the bottom bracket that I am unhappy about. Is there any races about
> that will button into this hole or is there a way filling this whole.

This might do the job
http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/418-17863-11
but there's a variety of fittings - I often had to modify cable guides
to make them fit. One way of doing this is to jam a bit of a large Rawl
plug into the hole then drill the guide and fix it with a short self-
tapping screw.
Don't worry about the hole in the bottom bracket shell as long as it's
protected from water splashing up from the wheels.

Rob Morley wrote:

> Don't worry about the hole in the bottom bracket shell as long as it's
> protected from water splashing up from the wheels.

"Make sure that there is a hole for water drainage underneath the bottom
bracket cage" - www.campagnolo.com/pdf/7225218___Bottom_bracket.pdf

I can't imagine splashing being a problem since not much will get though the
little hole and it will come out again.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:
>
> > Don't worry about the hole in the bottom bracket shell as long as it's
> > protected from water splashing up from the wheels.

> "Make sure that there is a hole for water drainage underneath the bottom
> bracket cage" - www.campagnolo.com/pdf/7225218___Bottom_bracket.pdf

I love the hysterical "may lead to personal injury or death" warnings on
just about every page, and the fact that use on anything other than a
smooth road is 'forbidden'.

> I can't imagine splashing being a problem since not much will get though the
> little hole and it will come out again.

Not a problem as long as the bottom bracket threads are lagged in grease
- otherwise a few drops of water can easily sit in the threads and cause
bimetallic corrosion. But I suppose that condensation or seepage
through the seals can also let a few drops in. I've never had a problem
either way.

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Not a problem as long as the bottom bracket threads are
> lagged in grease - otherwise a few drops of water can easily
> sit in the threads and cause bimetallic corrosion. But I
> suppose that condensation or seepage through the seals
> can also let a few drops in. I've never had a problem either way.

There are other points of entry - the seat tube slot, for example, and the
welding vent holes.

My Stumpjumper used to collect water in the bottom bracket. Because the only
hole in the shell was occupied by a screw for the cable guide, the exit path
of least resistance was through the bearings of my fancy Greaseguard bottom
bracket.

It's a singlespeed now, and water drains out safely through the vacant hole.

James Thomson

Excellent, the ideal solution,
Thanks
news:[email protected]...