Boudreaux's Killer's Court Case

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DiabloScott, Feb 7, 2006.

1. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Bou's daughter posted this on that other forum but I haven't seen it here so I copied it - I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Court outcome in Biker Billy's death
    Posted: Feb 6, 2006 8:14 PM Reply

Hello this is Kimberlee, Jim Price's daugther. I wanted to give the board an update on what happened this afternoon.

Today was the final hearing and sentencing in the case. It went fast as the teen took responsiblity and faced the charges against him without trying to make excuses or plead down, he really seemed ready to take whatever sentence would be handed down. He was charged with and pleaded guilty to careless driving resulting in death. The terms of his sentence are as follows: 48 months of supervised probation, he needs to comply with the terms and conditions of probabtion...No driving until the court determines otherwise (his parents actually took him down to the DMV the Monday after the incident and had his license revoked). No possesion of a cell phone for any reason. 300 hours of communitity service, with the first 100 hours to be done prior to May 25, 2005 (his graduation day), must provide monthy updates and the judge suggested he go to schools, driver ed classes, cycling clubs and such to speak about what he did) Write a letter to every State Legislator regarding his experience. 98 days in home detention to be beserved prior to jail and after jail sentence, 46 days prior to jail and 52 days after jail sentence. Serve 9 days in jail.

I know some people will not think this was a just sentence, but we are satisfied with it. The judge was creative with the sentencing and I believe these are things that can make a difference and keep this incident in people's minds so that hopefully they will be more attentive while behind the wheel. The tragedy of my dad's death would only be compounded if the life of this young man were to be utterly ruined by a harsher punishment.

There will be a link to the news story at www.9news.com for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for your thought and support

Kimberlee
    [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life is a daring adventure....or it is nothing. (Jim Price)

Tags:

2. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I think the kid in this case should make a video tape about how he killed someone because of his freaking cell phone and they should play it at all those traffic schools people go to when they get a speeding ticket.

3. EoinC

EoinC New Member

DS - Thanks for the post. I'm impressed with the sentencing and the attitudes of those involved. A long jail sentence, appealing to the revenge instincts would not be constructive, and only serves a purpose if there is no sign of recognition of the damage caused by the defendent's actions (and remorse over those actions).
    Without knowing any details, other than those presented over this forum, the sentencing seems creative and constructive. It is quite possible that, through the requirements placed on the defendent, he will convince someone else not to repeat his actions.
    I am pleased to see the constructive attitude of Jim's family shining through in a time when it would be easier to let their emotions rule their responses.
    Regards,
    Eoin

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

DS - thanks for posting this update.
    Appreciate it.

5. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

Thanks for posting the update. It is very sad. Kids in cars with cell phones that have so many distracting abilities now. It's bad enough they have such a high rate of accidents. The judge gave out a good sentence, though, in my opinion.
    :(

6. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

we all can only hope this kid will spread the message of cell phone responsibilty and be able to contribute towards a change in awareness,
    the consequences can be all too real.

i know the urge is always strong for severe sentencing and punishment at some level in all of us at times, but hopefuly this sentencing offers a more constructive alternative.

7. Chance3290

Chance3290 New Member

Well said.

I am amazed with this kid accepting responsibility without bringing in high-dollar lawyers and expert witnesses who would say that this whole thing was somehow not the kid's fault.
    And its not just kids with cell phones. Any one of us who have spent more than five minutes on a bike have seen adults paying more attention to their cell phone than to the deadly weapon they're are driving. HANG UP, EARTH!

My best to the Price family.

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I also applaud the judge for his creativity in the sentence. He seems like a good kid who made a mistake, he accepted responsibility for his actions and didn't make excuses. I hope he can have an impact on the driver's ed classes so this doesn't have to happen again to someone else.

9. Deanster04

Deanster04 New Member

I am sure that the driver and his family are going through their own hell on earth. The sentence is a proactive way for the teen to work through his personal guilt by community action, and communication with the legislators, who after all are the only ones who can change the law.
    I reviewed the death of Jim with my two kids and it had a profound effect on their cell using habits. Hopefully this will grow. The teen will be an effective voice to the legislators.
    Compassion is difficult...and full and complete assuming responsibility for one's actions is the RIGHT WAY to act as an adult...sounds like the teen and his family are doing the right thing in the face of this tragedy.
    Lets get a law on the books!!!