Bought a 2010 Diamondback Transporter - my review

Mobile363

Mar 26, 2010
I wanted an inexpensive and capable bike to do the things I wanted. What I wanted was a bike that was durable and solid. No suspension. The Diamondback Transporter seemed to be the perfect match for me, and after 3 weeks of ownership, the weather finally allowed me to take it for a longer ride. The ride was about 30km. Just 15km west of our town and then return. I loaded the panniers up on the rear with random junk to just add weight. I never weighed the bike, but picking it up was a task in itself. Must have weighed in close to 60lbs. The way I wanted it to be though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

First, the bike was sold to me by a local sports store. They are not the most competent bike assemblers. Upon buying the bike, I took it home and had to re-adjust just about everything. The front and rear brakes. The front and rear gear sets. But it was a learning experience. In which I ruined 4 cables. And then I learned how to reinstall new cables and crimp ends on the wires. Fun :D

The price of the bike, with tax, was just $320 Canadian. And it came with the front and rear fenders and the rear rack. Score! The fenders are fine. Not sure they will stand up over time but we will see. The rear rack is not exactly pannier friendly. Nor is it overly strong and supportive. But it held my loaded-to-the-nuts $30 Mongoose panniers in place with no interference with the bike operation.

When looking for bikes, I initially was confused as to which frame material I would buy. Aluminum was light, rigid and non-flexible. Steel is heavier, more flexible and rides nicer. It was a toss-up, but I figured since most of the riding on this bike would be done with weight added anyways, I should go with the steel frame. Unloaded, the bike is by no means heavy. I can easier pick it up, move it, etc. One complaint though is that the kick stand doesn't hold the bike up very well when it's loaded.

On the road the bike is perfect for me. The gear set is not the best. It is Shimano Tourney and I understand it is pretty entry-level equipment, but with a few adjustments, I got it to shift perfectly and not rub at all. I can easily pedal along at 30km/h with the bike loaded. The riding position seems to be comfortable for the whole ride. I never felt the urge to get off the bike at all. I bought the 18" model and I am 5'8" and it fits me great. I felt as though I could ride it all day long and still not be sore.

I plan to upgrade the rear rack though. It is only connected at four points on the frame by what looks like thin steel supports. Im not sure what its suggested weight limit is on the rack, but its got to be less than what I had on it, yea? I will leave the gearing alone for now as it seems to be typical Shimano quality. Have never had problems in the past. Brakes are pull style brakes. Nothing special, but they work just fine. The shifters work great. I guess thats about it.

If anyone was thinking of buying this bike, I would say go ahead and buy it. Its inexpensive, capable, seemingly reliable and a great all round package for the money. I just hope that Diamondback in general is a well built bike. I don't expect it to be perfect, but I hope it stands up. If anyone has any questions I would love to answer. Or if anyone wants any more pictures.

Thanks

Happy day read your Diamondback Transporter experience it is a great bike. I'm writing from NewYork city the village of Harlem. I would like to buy a Diamondback Transporter the problem is that I can not find a Dealer that sells Diamondback transporters its a wonderful commuter bike. Judging from reading your experience your in canada. Can you give me a location were I can order a Diamondback and have it shipped to my local post office? My EMail address is "[email protected] and my number is (646) 260-9801

There is a good chance that Mobile363 is no longer an active member of this forum. He has only had three posts since he joined in 2010, and this post of his that you dredged up is from 2010. Anyway, if you go to the Diamondback Website, they have a locator button. The link is below and there are 25 pages of bike shops near Harlem that sell Diamondbacks. Good luck.

http://locator.diamondback.com/locator?location=Harlem%2C+NY&commit=Search&radius=50