bought a miyata

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Discs4sale, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Discs4sale

    Discs4sale Guest

    Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist.

    100 bucks.

    How do I figure out when it was made, what model, etc?

    The previous owner says it was 5 or 6 years old. She gave me the owners manual also ­ but it's
    basically a generic manual, doesn't have any info on make or model.

    -Ben

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    discs4sale <[email protected]> wrote in news:sell-05E350.20075402032003 @nntp.acecape.com:
    > Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist. How do I figure out when it was made, what
    > model, etc?

    You could look through old Miyata catalogs and look for bikes with similar color schemes and
    components groups. That might be a little difficult, since Miyata stopped importing into the USA
    around 10 years ago. The 6 cog freewheel is one hint. Shimano switched to 7 cog freewheels around 15
    years ago.

    Ken

  3. In article <[email protected]>, discs4sale <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist.
    >
    >100 bucks.
    >
    >How do I figure out when it was made, what model, etc?
    >
    >The previous owner says it was 5 or 6 years old. She gave me the owners manual also ­ but it's
    >basically a generic manual, doesn't have any info on make or model.

    Most Miyatas should have a model number on the frame somewhere like "712" or "902", etc. I had one,
    I think from 1986 which had a number printed on it, and I know later ones did as well, not sure when
    they started doing that.

    A 12-speed bike is a lot older than 5-6 years. But if it's in reasonable condition it could still be
    a very servicable ride.

  4. Discs4sale

    Discs4sale Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, discs4sale <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist.
    >
    > 100 bucks.

    Well I figured out the modelŠ it's a "one twelve" as it says on the top tube (duh). I'm curious to
    findo out when it was made (I'm a curious guy). Anyone know there the serial # is on a Miyata? not
    on the front, not on the crank... ?

    -Ben

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "discs4sale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Well I figured out the modelŠ it's a "one twelve" as it says on the top tube (duh). I'm curious to
    > findo out when it was made (I'm a curious guy). Anyone know there the serial # is on a Miyata? not
    > on the front, not on the crank... ?

    Miyata started making 12 speeds in '74 or so, so it could also be that old.

    SB

  6. Ben Gold

    Ben Gold Guest

    Thanks for the info, all.

    It is in great condition. Been kept indoors, no rust on the frame, very little anywhere else. It's
    white, lugged, Cr-Mo with indexed tube shifters. I'm at work, still haven't found the serial #. Been
    awhile since I've been on a road bike – was fun riding it home. The height is perfect, I'm a little
    worried it may be too short from bars to seat, but I have to ride more (and raise the seat a bit)
    before I know.

    The derailer says "515 Shimano", or "SIS"?

    Anyway, I'll keep looking for info – more for my own edification than anything else

    -Ben.

  7. Rb

    Rb Guest

    Look on the underside of the bottom bracket for any stamped numbers. I bought a pretty nice green &
    white 12-speed Miyata with a Biospace front crank, off Ebay two years ago. It had an "85" stamped
    there, and a few other numbers, so I figure it was made in 1985. There's a lot you should do to keep
    it in shape, but I especially suggest you grease the seatpost and the quill stem right away.

    r.b.

    [email protected] (Ben Gold) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for the info, all.
    >
    > It is in great condition. Been kept indoors, no rust on the frame, very little anywhere else. It's
    > white, lugged, Cr-Mo with indexed tube shifters. I'm at work, still haven't found the serial #.
    > Been awhile since I've been on a road bike ? was fun riding it home. The height is perfect, I'm a
    > little worried it may be too short from bars to seat, but I have to ride more (and raise the seat
    > a bit) before I know.
    >
    > The derailer says "515 Shimano", or "SIS"?
    >
    > Anyway, I'll keep looking for info ? more for my own edification than anything else
    >
    > -Ben.

  8. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Thanks, I found it under the bottom bracket, as you said.

    the number is: QG 21605

    Shimano parts, Sakae Crank, "CT Japan" on the handlebars.

    -Ben