bought a miyata



Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Discs4sale

Guest
Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist.

100 bucks.

How do I figure out when it was made, what model, etc?

The previous owner says it was 5 or 6 years old. She gave me the owners manual also ­ but it's
basically a generic manual, doesn't have any info on make or model.

-Ben
 
K

Ken

Guest
discs4sale <[email protected]> wrote in news:sell-05E350.20075402032003 @nntp.acecape.com:
> Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist. How do I figure out when it was made, what
> model, etc?

You could look through old Miyata catalogs and look for bikes with similar color schemes and
components groups. That might be a little difficult, since Miyata stopped importing into the USA
around 10 years ago. The 6 cog freewheel is one hint. Shimano switched to 7 cog freewheels around 15
years ago.

Ken
 
P

Paul Southworth

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, discs4sale <[email protected]> wrote:
>Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist.
>
>100 bucks.
>
>How do I figure out when it was made, what model, etc?
>
>The previous owner says it was 5 or 6 years old. She gave me the owners manual also ­ but it's
>basically a generic manual, doesn't have any info on make or model.

Most Miyatas should have a model number on the frame somewhere like "712" or "902", etc. I had one,
I think from 1986 which had a number printed on it, and I know later ones did as well, not sure when
they started doing that.

A 12-speed bike is a lot older than 5-6 years. But if it's in reasonable condition it could still be
a very servicable ride.
 
D

Discs4sale

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, discs4sale <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just bought a miyata 12 speed through craigslist.
>
> 100 bucks.

Well I figured out the modelŠ it's a "one twelve" as it says on the top tube (duh). I'm curious to
findo out when it was made (I'm a curious guy). Anyone know there the serial # is on a Miyata? not
on the front, not on the crank... ?

-Ben
 
S

Steve

Guest
"discs4sale" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Well I figured out the modelŠ it's a "one twelve" as it says on the top tube (duh). I'm curious to
> findo out when it was made (I'm a curious guy). Anyone know there the serial # is on a Miyata? not
> on the front, not on the crank... ?

Miyata started making 12 speeds in '74 or so, so it could also be that old.

SB
 
B

Ben Gold

Guest
Thanks for the info, all.

It is in great condition. Been kept indoors, no rust on the frame, very little anywhere else. It's
white, lugged, Cr-Mo with indexed tube shifters. I'm at work, still haven't found the serial #. Been
awhile since I've been on a road bike – was fun riding it home. The height is perfect, I'm a little
worried it may be too short from bars to seat, but I have to ride more (and raise the seat a bit)
before I know.

The derailer says "515 Shimano", or "SIS"?

Anyway, I'll keep looking for info – more for my own edification than anything else

-Ben.
 
R

Rb

Guest
Look on the underside of the bottom bracket for any stamped numbers. I bought a pretty nice green &
white 12-speed Miyata with a Biospace front crank, off Ebay two years ago. It had an "85" stamped
there, and a few other numbers, so I figure it was made in 1985. There's a lot you should do to keep
it in shape, but I especially suggest you grease the seatpost and the quill stem right away.

r.b.

[email protected] (Ben Gold) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks for the info, all.
>
> It is in great condition. Been kept indoors, no rust on the frame, very little anywhere else. It's
> white, lugged, Cr-Mo with indexed tube shifters. I'm at work, still haven't found the serial #.
> Been awhile since I've been on a road bike ? was fun riding it home. The height is perfect, I'm a
> little worried it may be too short from bars to seat, but I have to ride more (and raise the seat
> a bit) before I know.
>
> The derailer says "515 Shimano", or "SIS"?
>
> Anyway, I'll keep looking for info ? more for my own edification than anything else
>
> -Ben.
 
B

Ben

Guest
Thanks, I found it under the bottom bracket, as you said.

the number is: QG 21605

Shimano parts, Sakae Crank, "CT Japan" on the handlebars.

-Ben

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (rb) wrote:

> Look on the underside of the bottom bracket for any stamped numbers. I bought a pretty nice
> green & white 12-speed Miyata with a Biospace front crank, off Ebay two years ago. It had an
> "85" stamped there, and a few other numbers, so I figure it was made in 1985. There's a lot you
> should do to keep it in shape, but I especially suggest you grease the seatpost and the quill
> stem right away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.