Bought a New Bike Today

Tom92673

Aug 16, 2010
So I have been looking for quite a while. Went all over the place, and ended up where I started looking. Specialized Tarmac SL3 DI2. While I am sure I'll love the bike, I'm racked with guilt over how much I spent on it. Now I also have no excuses for not riding. In fact, I have to ride like every day for a year to justify this purchase. Anyone else ever go through this after making a big purchase?

Tom

Never had the guilt as I my ability to justify purchases is very good:D...

All I'll say is, "Congrats!" on a damn fine choice.

IMO the more you ride, the quicker you'll get over the guilt. Furthermore, this guilt you're apparently feeling now is much more benign than the buyer's remorse you would've got if you had saved some money, compromised, and settled for a lesser choice.

Ride the heck outta that bike and never look back...Last word, if you're married, the old adage is very true - 'It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission'...;)

Tom92673 said:
So I have been looking for quite a while. Went all over the place, and ended up where I started looking. Specialized Tarmac SL3 DI2. While I am sure I'll love the bike, I'm racked with guilt over how much I spent on it. Now I also have no excuses for not riding. In fact, I have to ride like every day for a year to justify this purchase. Anyone else ever go through this after making a big purchase?

Tom

Tom, serious bike, right there! Congrats on the purchase!

IMO, you certainly shouldn't harbor any "buyer's remorse" because of what you spent on the bike. It's a great bike, and will provide you years of reliability and enjoyment. I think you'll find the end result to be a good one.

I think most of us here have winced a bit when pulling out the cash or credit at the counter for a bicycle (or bicycles...) we've purchased. The best way to quell that feeling is to just go out there, find a nice downhill sweeper, and take it with authority. Right after that, I think all your fears will be laid to rest, and you'll realize that what you spent your money on was an awesome adrenaline rush that you can relive time and time again. :cool:

This is the bike you wanted, and the bike you chose to purchase. If you were going to feel regrets, you should have felt them while forking over the payment, not afterwards. ;) Don't let this put a black cloud over your purchase. You bought this bicycle to enjoy, not fret over. The only reason I'd personally feel guilty is if I did not have the funds to part with, or was told by the wife that we didn't have the money to spend on it. Otherwise, I'd be very happy with my purchase, and feel guilt-free!

Now, go out there and ride!

Congrats, nice choice. With a bike like that, your guilt should be washing away with every minute riding it or even just looking at it :).

IMO, if I'm going to spend that much $$$, I am definitely choosing a bike company that is used in the pro's, or at least has a good reputation (Guru,Parlee). I couldn't justify buying a Shwinn for example :p. j/k GT ! :D

tonyzackery said:
Never had the guilt as I my ability to justify purchases is very good:D...

At least you arn't a disgrace to the man race. Well done. :confused:

Sounds like a great bike and I add my voice of congratulations...

BUT

Isn't it the custom around here to post a picture of a new bike build or purchase? If not, may I recommend it be so? Proper background like solid color garage door, please! (Posting pics is known to diminish any buyers remorse...???)

gman0482 said:
Congrats, nice choice. With a bike like that, your guilt should be washing away with every minute riding it or even just looking at it :).

IMO, if I'm going to spend that much $$$, I am definitely choosing a bike company that is used in the pro's, or at least has a good reputation (Guru,Parlee). I couldn't justify buying a Shwinn for example :p. j/k GT ! :D

LOL, Gman. I gotta say, I've had a lot of problems with that bike, but I guess they're fairly taken care of... :mad:

Yeah, I did, but I got over it. It may come back when the tuition bill from my daughter's college comes...

alienator said:
Nice ride. Did it come with the 404 clinchers?

Yes came with the 404's. I'm thinking about somthing else for regular riding, but, I haven't really decided yet.

Tom92673 said:
Yes came with the 404's. I'm thinking about somthing else for regular riding, but, I haven't really decided yet.

That version of the 404's will hold up nicely to daily riding. Why do you want to pick up something else?

alienator said:
That version of the 404's will hold up nicely to daily riding. Why do you want to pick up something else?

I'm kicking around the idea of selling them and getting somethng cheaper. I could do Williams Clinchers for the same weight and half the price.