Bought a new chain. HULK SMASH!!!

DeadLights

Apr 9, 2011
So I bought a new chain for my road bike. The other one broke while cranking up a hill. I have a bad habit of gearing low and smashing my way up the big hills. I have huge legs and can get away with it. That's beside the point...

Anyway, so I get a new chain. I didn't want the bike shop to put it on, because I wanted to learn to do it myself. I watch a couple youtube videos and get to work.

It is a chain with the missing link connection. Seems like it's going to be simple. One of the missing link sides didn't have the rivet pushed in as far, so I absolutely could not get the darn thing to to slip into the smaller slot on both sides...so I get out my chain breaker, and figured I could give a few turns to push the rivet in a bit more.

I hulk armed it and pushed the rivet all the way through. Duh...

I don't have any extra missing links so I decided to just put the rivet back in and tighten it. It seems to be in there relatively good, and it's not slipping through the hole, but I'm afraid that it's going to break easily now while riding.

What do you think? Chance it and go on a ride, or order some extra links and wait for them to show up to be on the safe side?

Well, if you used an actual Missing Link, you completely screwed it up because the actual Missing Link doesn't require the pushing of any pins. If you were using a connector with pins to be pushed in, then you screwed it up, and the manufacturer would not recommend, nor would anyone else really, using the connector as you have, having already reinserted the pin. The smart thing would be just to buy another connector. They're cheap. Will what you have done work? Maybe, maybe not. You'll have to let us know how it all works out for you.

No, it was a missing link, and I realize you shouldn't have to push in the pin. What I'm saying, is the link that came in the box wasn't pushed in all the way. It's like quality control took a nap when they boxed up my set. So I improvised.

I'm just going to get another one and fix it.