Bought a new Giant OCR 2

phazer

Jun 29, 2005
I am quite a avid mountain biker and race at least once or twice a month, bought a roadbike to get some more mileage in for base training for next years MTB season. Question is, just how good is the Giant OCR 2? Is it race ready for road rides, it seems the road riding bug have bitten me a little harder than what I thought it would:eek:

phazer said:
I am quite a avid mountain biker and race at least once or twice a month, bought a roadbike to get some more mileage in for base training for next years MTB season. Question is, just how good is the Giant OCR 2? Is it race ready for road rides, it seems the road riding bug have bitten me a little harder than what I thought it would:eek:
Are you talking about the new carbon framed OCR? if you are, I had a quick look at one in my LBS last week. It seems to be less race focused than the TCR carbon and the LBS thought it would be popular for weekend road riders - the cafe set. The geometry seems quite a bit more relaxed. Nice looking bike however.

If you are talking of the Al framed OCR, no idea.

However, a local A grade rider has had an Al framed OCR and it has not held him back at all. Makes me think the real difference is not the bike but the rider - it's not about the bike! Go racing on your OCR - it will be better than some bikes you are racing against and not as good as others, but racing is more about tactics and fitness than bike snobbery. People on euro exotica will still look down on you because you are riding a Giant (I know - I have a TCR carbon, and I think it great). the best answer is to beat them!

Balderick said:
Are you talking about the new carbon framed OCR? if you are, I had a quick look at one in my LBS last week. It seems to be less race focused than the TCR carbon and the LBS thought it would be popular for weekend road riders - the cafe set. The geometry seems quite a bit more relaxed. Nice looking bike however.

If you are talking of the Al framed OCR, no idea.

However, a local A grade rider has had an Al framed OCR and it has not held him back at all. Makes me think the real difference is not the bike but the rider - it's not about the bike! Go racing on your OCR - it will be better than some bikes you are racing against and not as good as others, but racing is more about tactics and fitness than bike snobbery. People on euro exotica will still look down on you because you are riding a Giant (I know - I have a TCR carbon, and I think it great). the best answer is to beat them!
alu OCR 2 with full tiagra groupset

phazer said:
alu OCR 2 with full tiagra groupset
The OCR might have more relaxed geometry than, say, the Giant TCR series, and some might say Tiagra is not suitale for racing, but I think that is bike snobbery. Yes, Durace/Record are nice, but at the end of the day an OCR with Tiagra will be perfectly servicable. Give road racing a go. As I said before, I know a guy who purchased an OCR and started racing to see if he would like it and he is still, 2 seasons on, racing the OCR. He is only now looking to upgrade. If you like it you can always upgrade in due course.

phazer said:
Not that I'm a racer, but I bought a alum OCR 2 in July, and love it. I have put about a 1000 miles on it now and I have had zero problems with it, other than the usual flats. I did change my seat, personnel preference, and I did upgrade the tiagra shifters and front derailleur to Ultegra. The only reason I upgraded from Tiagra is I got a smoking deal from my LBS, $160 for shifters, cables, and derailleur. I am not racing, but I am training for a century and put on about 100 miles a week. I have hit 40+ mph on it with no worries.
I would recommend upgrading the bars. I didn't like the stock bars, and put on the FSA non carbon k-wing. Best $50 I've ever spent on my bike. Hand numbness is almost obsolete.
Enjoy the bike.