Bought a recumbent, Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Capri, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Capri

    Capri Guest

    Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a few
    miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it a
    garage sale for $500. The owner says he bought it new at the factory in Colorado in 1998 and has not
    ridden it all in the last 2 years. It appears to be in really good shape with 9 speed cogset and a
    triple crankset. The steering is pretty unique, for me anyway, under the seat. I've ridden it down
    the street a few times but it feels real squirelly. I think this would be ideal for my back if I can
    get used to it. Just thought I would drop a note here to get your ideas (if any) on this model.
    There doesnt seem to be any recent posting about it on the net. btw I think that one of rhe first
    things I am going to do is change the regular pedals to clipless as my feet keep won't stay on the
    regular ones.

    Thanks for listening,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. "capri" skrev...
    > Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a
    > few miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it
    > a garage sale for $500. The owner says he bought it new at the factory in Colorado in 1998 and has
    > not ridden it all in the last 2 years. It appears to be in really good shape with 9 speed cogset
    > and a triple crankset. The steering is pretty unique, for me anyway, under the seat. I've ridden
    > it down the street a few times but it feels real squirelly. I think this would be ideal for my
    > back if I can get used to it. Just thought I would drop a note here to get your ideas (if any) on
    > this model. There doesnt seem to be any recent posting about it on the net. btw I think that one
    > of rhe first things I am going to do is change the regular pedals to clipless as my feet keep
    > won't stay on the regular ones.

    Did you read the review of the Slipstream here: http://www.tandembike.com/Reviews.html Seems it
    evolved from the Vanguard so much of the article deals with the differences and similarities between
    the two. Squirelly goes away when your body learns the new reflexes. Since a new Slipstream sells
    for 2500 it sounds like a helluva good deal. Enjoy!

    Mikael

  3. In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (capri) writes:
    >a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. Thanks for listening,
    >
    >Dave

    Dave,

    You've bought a solid bent. With practice you will learn to easily steer/ride your bent.

    If you continue to suffer back pain then make yourself a lumbar support which can be attached to the
    back of the seat with velcro. My lumber support is made from a foam kneeling pad that is sold for
    gardening or washing floors. I've seen such pads sold at various hardware stores including Wal Mart.

    I also have a pad covering the seat bottom.

    My bent is a 96 Vision R-40.

    Happy riding!

    --Marshall Dermer

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (capri) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a
    > few miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it
    > a garage sale for $500.

    Boy did you get screwed! Just kidding, sounds like an _excellent_ deal to
    me. The original Ryan Vanguard, what your bike is based on, is one of THE classic recumbent designs,
    and one of the few for which I would consider trading my Haluzak. The under seat steering is not
    for everyone, but is the only way to go for others(like me!). Generally when riding a bike like
    yours, people are not accustommed to the fact that the arms are no longer supporting the weight.
    You might have a strong grip on the handlebars. Try this as an experiment: Sit in the seat,
    totally relax your arms and shoulders, lean back in the seat. Don't try to hold yourself up in
    the seat, let it totally support you. Now get ready to pedal away, holding the steering by your
    index fingers and thumbs at the tips of the shifters. Like you are pinching the tips of the
    steering handles. Very little pressure will be needed to steer, and this odd pose will prove to
    your subconscious that you don't need to have a death grip on the bars.

    rorschandt

  5. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Excerpted from http://ryanownersclub.com/history/timeline.htm

    "1997 - 1998 - Ryan Recumbent Cycles moved to Melrose, MA. Part of time there spent building/selling
    enough bikes to keep going, but main efforts were toward joint venture or to sell the company.

    1999 - Agreement to sell the company to Greg Peek of Longbikes.

    Late 1999 - Early 2000 - Company reverted back to Dick Ryan"

    I do like my Longbikes' Vanguard.

    "capri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a
    > few miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it
    > a garage sale for $500. The owner says he bought it new at the factory in Colorado in 1998 and has
    > not ridden it all in the last 2 years. It appears to be in really good shape with 9 speed cogset
    > and a triple crankset. The steering is pretty unique, for me anyway, under the seat. I've ridden
    > it down the street a few times but it feels real squirelly. I think this would be ideal for my
    > back if I can get used to it. Just thought I would drop a note here to get your ideas (if any) on
    > this model. There doesnt seem to be any recent posting about it on the net. btw I think that one
    > of rhe first things I am going to do is change the regular pedals to clipless as my feet keep
    > won't stay on the regular ones.
    >
    > Thanks for listening,
    >
    > Dave

  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi Dave,

    On 6 Apr 2003 11:19:37 -0700, [email protected] (capri) wrote:

    >Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a few
    >miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it a
    >garage sale for $500.

    That's a great buy on a Vanguard!

    >steering is pretty unique, for me anyway, under the seat. I've ridden it down the street a few
    >times but it feels real squirelly. I think this would be ideal for my back if I can get used to it.
    >Just thought I would drop a note here to get your ideas (if any) on this model.

    Longbikes make fine machines, and the Vanguard has been around a long time - it's a proven design.

    You'll likely adapt to the steering with some practice, but if you don't, please contact me - I'd be
    interested in buying the Vanguard, and I'll let you take advantage of me on the price, too. :)

    Please let me know if I can offer any advice. Welcome to the world of recumbent bikes!

    Regards,

    Tony Schroeder

  7. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    [email protected] (capri) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a
    > few miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it
    > a garage sale for $500. The owner says he bought it new at the factory in Colorado in 1998 and has
    > not ridden it all in the last 2 years. It appears to be in really good shape with 9 speed cogset
    > and a triple crankset. The steering is pretty unique, for me anyway, under the seat. I've ridden
    > it down the street a few times but it feels real squirelly. I think this would be ideal for my
    > back if I can get used to it. Just thought I would drop a note here to get your ideas (if any) on
    > this model. There doesnt seem to be any recent posting about it on the net. btw I think that one
    > of rhe first things I am going to do is change the regular pedals to clipless as my feet keep
    > won't stay on the regular ones.
    >
    > Thanks for listening,
    >
    > Dave

    Dave: Longbikes is known for making very fine recumbents. They are not the lightest, nor the most
    aerodynamic, but they are quality made. For speed trials, probably not, but for all around
    performers, commuting, touring, a nice choice. As to the underseat steering, I have ridden bents for
    five years and prefer above seat steering. I find I have a tendency to oversteer with USS. But when
    I relax the "squirreliness" tends to lessen and there is no doubt that after a decent break in
    period it will be second nature. Other riders prefer USS. Different storkes for different folks. So,
    IMHO, if the bike is in good shape you can't go wrong with it for that price. And if you don't like
    it, then you can always resell.

    Incidentally, five years ago back problems gave me no option but to ride recumbents if I wanted
    to ride. Amazing how what you think is a bum deal turns out to be a great opportunity. These
    past five years have been the best riding years I have had, and it is due to the bikes. At 57 my
    back problems, when they do arise, which is now seldom, are usually after several weeks of not
    riding. How could we ever have enjoyed the scrunched over, numb hands, sore butt and tight back
    days of riding?

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo. Barcroft Virginia GT Barcroft Columbia RANS V-Rex

  8. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Dave, you stole that bike! You are a thief! The frame alone is worth more than $500! I am really
    jealous. I have had my eye on the Vanguard/Slipstream for some time. The price has kept me away! You
    are a lucky guy! Enjoy!

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  9. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    That is a great deal. If I would have seen it, I would have bought it just to hang in my garage for
    a spare (I already have a Ryan Vanguard).

    You are now the owner of possibly the greatest touring bicycle ever designed. It is also very nice
    for neighborhood/casual rides of any length.

    As Doug H. said, you can find some information at Bob K and my Ryan fansite at
    http://ryanownersclub.com/

    As a certified Ryan snob, I can tell you that I think your model is better than the version that
    Longbikes modified (which is called the Slipstream).

    Have a lot of fun!

    And if you do perchance decide to sell it for some reason, don't let it go for less than $1000.

    capri wrote:
    > Hi! I am 55 years old and would like to get back into cycling but my back just kills me after a
    > few miles on a regular bike. I just bought a recumbent bike. It is a Longbikes Vanguard. I got it
    > a garage sale for $500. The owner says he bought it new at the factory in Colorado in 1998 and has
    > not ridden it all in the last 2 years. It appears to be in really good shape with 9 speed cogset
    > and a triple crankset. The steering is pretty unique, for me anyway, under the seat. I've ridden
    > it down the street a few times but it feels real squirelly. I think this would be ideal for my
    > back if I can get used to it. Just thought I would drop a note here to get your ideas (if any) on
    > this model. There doesnt seem to be any recent posting about it on the net. btw I think that one
    > of rhe first things I am going to do is change the regular pedals to clipless as my feet keep
    > won't stay on the regular ones.
    >
    > Thanks for listening,
    >
    > Dave

  10. John W