Bought Frame...Now What?

Fender963

Dec 24, 2007
Hey all. First time posting, so hello.

I got a great deal on the new 2008 Specialized Tarmac Pro Frameset and now welll I'm fairly clueless. I could use some guidance as to what I should do. I'm guessing a groupset is the best way to go. Shimano Ultegra 6600 Triple is what I'm but everything else....wheels etc... I'm clueless.

Any good online reading would be nice too.

Thanks all.

Kyle

who buys an expensive frame like that not knowing what the hell they're gonna do with it. do you even know how much its gonna cost you to build the rest of the bike even with mid-range components and wheels?

as for what to put on it. your wallet is the only thing holding you back on the possibilities. we dont know how much you want to spend, so just get the best and most expensive of everything you can find and your all set.

david462 said:
who buys an expensive frame like that not knowing what the hell they're gonna do with it. do you even know how much its gonna cost you to build the rest of the bike even with mid-range components and wheels?

as for what to put on it. your wallet is the only thing holding you back on the possibilities. we dont know how much you want to spend, so just get the best and most expensive of everything you can find and your all set.
Someone who spends his time cycling, not building bikes up. Someone who got a really good deal on a bike frame and not a pre-built bike. I know what I'm going to do with it, I'm going to build it into a better bike than I currently have. I just need some guidance.

I would appreciate some help rather than being attacked. Oh and I'm looking to spend around $2000-$2500 to build it up.

Fender963 said:

I got a great deal on the new 2008 Specialized Tarmac Pro Frameset and now welll I'm fairly clueless. I could use some guidance as to what I should do. I'm guessing a groupset is the best way to go. Shimano Ultegra 6600 Triple is what I'm but everything else....wheels etc... I'm clueless.

Thanks all.

Kyle
How big of a hurry are you in?

The quick dirty solution is to buy a bike build kit from Colorado Cyclist or Security or somebody like that. A build kit will contain everything that you need except the frame and fork.

Even if you don't decide to buy a build kit, it's a good reference so you don't forget something like rim tape or headset stack spacers.

A Shimano Ultegra groupset is a good start. What kind of riding are you going to be doing? This will dictate the wheelset, tires, and tire size that you need. It will also effect the seat, stem, and handlebars that you will use. As Retro Grouch stated, you will need some sort of guide to makesure that you have everthing that you need. I can't even count how many times I have had to run out to my LBS to get a little part that I forgot to order. Stupid things too like handlebar tape or rimstrips. One time it was even a chain connector pin! Thought I had some but no. Oh, and don't forget the reflectors and handlebar tassles:D! A basket might be nice too (now I'm just getting silly).

Fender963 said:
Someone who spends his time cycling, not building bikes up. Someone who got a really good deal on a bike frame and not a pre-built bike. I know what I'm going to do with it, I'm going to build it into a better bike than I currently have. I just need some guidance.

I would appreciate some help rather than being attacked. Oh and I'm looking to spend around $2000-$2500 to build it up.
i see. didnt mean to attack you. had you stated how much you are looking at spending i wouldnt have assumed you didnt know what you were doing.

to me it just kinda sounded like you thought you got a good deal on a high end name brand popular road bike frame and had no idea how much it can cost for components and wheels.

but yeah, if it was me i would buy a build kit that comes with pretty much everything you need (except wheels and maybe some other stuff) to save some money.

as for wheels, i'd just get something a bit less expensive for now. you can spend over $1000 on wheels but if it was me i would just get a pair so i can start riding that awesome frame (i test road a tarmac pro, loved it). maybe even use wheels that you already have for now.

OldGoat said:
Here's everything you need (except for seatpost) at a price you cannot beat anywhere in the known universe:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=4808&CATEGORY.ID=2&MODE=SPECIALS&TFC=
That's a smoking deal. I wish I'd known about that when I did my previous bike builds.

When you're doing a build, some things you're going to need to either know or find out:
> Bottom Bracket: what size do you need / English or Italian thread?
> Seat post: what size do you need?
> Wheels: what size (700?) and what kind of hubs (Shimano or Campagnolo)?
> Front derailleur: clamp on or braze on / what size do you need?
> crank: what length crank arms?

You really need to think about what direction you want to go, first, Campy? Shimano? SRAM?, what level of that groupset you want to go with (Record? Chorus? / Dura-Ace? Ultegra?), and do you want a double or triple? Once you have those three things decided upon, then you need to get the componets and do the build

Here's a list that might help (in no particular order):
> headset
> stem
> handlebars
> bar tape
> bar plugs (for the ends of the handlebars)
> shifters / brake levers
> brakes (front and rear)
> front derailleur
> rear derailleur
> chain
> bottom-bracket
> crank (with chainrings...double or triple)
> pedals
> wheels (with spokes / hubs / tires / tubes/ skewers: front and back)
> seat post
> seat
> computer?
> bottle cages

Hope this helps
FF

kdelong said:
A Shimano Ultegra groupset is a good start.
What? Shitmano again?

Seriously, building your own bike is one of those God (wallet) given chance where you can choose what groupset you want, rather than that all too common Shimano that comes with great majority of pre-built bikes (just because Shimano cares to give bike manufacturers more margin).

I'd say consider Campagnolo and SRAM first. ;)

sogood said:
What? Shitmano again?

Seriously, building your own bike is one of those God (wallet) given chance where you can choose what groupset you want, rather than that all too common Shimano that comes with great majority of pre-built bikes (just because Shimano cares to give bike manufacturers more margin).

I'd say consider Campagnolo and SRAM first. ;)
I know I'm gonna start a fight but what the heck. Campy is good stuff, but in my opinion it is way overpriced for any benefits that it may possess compared to Shimano. SRAM is also OK, but their customer service stinks and this is reason enough for me not to use them. Sure, Shimano is common, but it is also very good equipment at a usually reasonable price.

david462 said:

Hey Grumpy man, we were all beginners once, don't be a hater. . .

But he is right, the sky is your wallet is the limit.
I buy my wheels from bikeislandsite.com reasonable and some sweet wheels for less money.

I bought a lightly used Dura Ace Gruppo on EbaY FOR $750.00. . .
Ultegra obviously is cheaper, but if you can find the right deal, go for it. You can definitely save if you can be patient. . .
Oh, and dont let the grumpy know-it-alls get you down . .
-Phil

kdelong said:
SRAM is also OK, but their customer service stinks and this is reason enough for me not to use them.
Who needs customer service? The last time I built up a bike, they only spoke Italian. Big help that would've been.

Of course, today's dual control levers are a little more complicated.

Fender963 said:

Thanks all.

Kyle

If I could afford that frame... I would put a compact double or standard double (there is a reason they don't offer that frame with a triple) but i don't know what kind of riding you do... I also don't know what you currently ride or how much $$$ you have left to meet your budget...My priorities would be: drive train, wheels, tires, brakes, handlebars, everything else.

Fender963 said:

Thanks all.

Kyle
Big sale right now at cbike.com 24 percent off everthing , ends midnight dec 26