Bought my first bike...need newbie info

Pericles77

Apr 3, 2006
Greetings all,

I'm currently living in South Korea and I decided to buy myself a mountain bike to start getting in shape and cure my boredom. I plan to use on trails. Anyways, I went down to the LBS and their supply of bikes was limited. I ended up settling on a Lespo Strike DX (Lespo is a Korean bike company). My bike looks somewhat like this:

331b.jpg

Anyways, I really have no clue about anything when it comes to bikes and cycling. What I'm wondering is, are there any good websites that provide basic info for newbies like me? I'm looking for stuff regarding parts, maintenance and repairs, size, clothing, etc.

Also, it seems that Korean bikes are relatively small whereas I'm 6'2". How can I find out if the bike I purchased is the right size for me? Also, what is the minimum amount of seat stem that should be inside the tube-things? I suppose I should have asked these questions before I made my purchase, but oh well.

Your help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

:eek:

Pericles77 said:
Greetings all,

I'm currently living in South Korea and I decided to buy myself a mountain bike to start getting in shape and cure my boredom. I plan to use on trails. Anyways, I went down to the LBS and their supply of bikes was limited. I ended up settling on a Lespo Strike DX (Lespo is a Korean bike company). My bike looks somewhat like this:

Anyways, I really have no clue about anything when it comes to bikes and cycling. What I'm wondering is, are there any good websites that provide basic info for newbies like me? I'm looking for stuff regarding parts, maintenance and repairs, size, clothing, etc.

Also, it seems that Korean bikes are relatively small whereas I'm 6'2". How can I find out if the bike I purchased is the right size for me? Also, what is the minimum amount of seat stem that should be inside the tube-things? I suppose I should have asked these questions before I made my purchase, but oh well.

Your help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.
>I suppose I should have asked these questions before I made my purchase

Well, you got ONE thing right! <G>
OK. I "rediscovered" bikes about 3-4 months ago after many years' break. So I am at a stage where I know most of the questions, I have learnt the basic techniques, but I am still getting them right. So I hope I can direct, rather than instruct.
Anyone, feel free to splatter any BS I may lay down.
Try googling "bicycle repairs" or "Bike repairs" (this last may get you motorbikes as well). That will get hundreds of hits.

Also http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ . Not everyone will agree with everything the guy says, but there is a lot of useful info there.

Likewise try DAGS "bicycle fitting" to work out if you can get your bike to fit. There are a lo0t of variables that can make your ride more or less comfortable. Maybe find someone who rides trails to help you try things.

There may be a mark on the saddle post to show the min overlap. If not, I would go for a minimum insertion distance of 3.5-4 times the post diameter. Or a "stick out" of maybe 6-7 times the diam max. Having said that, a lot depends on the strength of the post itself, and your weight, and what you intend to do with the bike.

Also DAGS for "mountain bike techniques" or "mountain biking techniques".

or http://www.abc-of-mountainbiking.com/ which looks an excellent site to me, as a "moderate newbie".

And two things.

(1) You are a beginner. Take it easy. This cuts two ways. If you have not ridden before, you will be amazed at how much it _hurts_ the first few times! Seriously. Your legs, your arms, your back, your bum. Make _sure_ you have the bike set up pretty close to what you get told it should be, before you torture yourself. Then be prepared to experiment in small steps with seat fore and aft, height, what gears to use, handlebar position etc.

(2) You have a cheap dual suspension bike. Take it easy. Test it slowly, to see how it takes it.

Read the techniques used to stay on a bike in rough conditions and then practice them under _controlled_ conditions. Don't go screaming down a hill and think "now is the time to try (insert whatever) to see if I can do it"! <G> Don't go screaming down a hill until you have a fair idea you _can _ do (insert whatever).
Read about cadence (pedalling speed). There are a lot of opinions, but "grinding" (going too slow) is the big no-no. 60 rotations of one pedal per minute is considered the _minimum_. That's one per second. This will probably feel fast at first, but work at it as a minimum. If you want, get a bike computer with a cadence fitting. Sigma's bc1600 is a good cheap start. Otherwise, if you can do "one (one thousand), two (one thousand)" and simply make sure the pedal comes iver the top each time, then work up from there. Faster cadence will tire your thigh muscles for a while, but is far better for clearing out the muscles, and less strain by far on knees. People have popped knees on bikes. However, do not press yourself too hard to get high cadence. It can lead to loss of control, and especially with rear suspension, bad "pedal bounce" where you bob down the road like a jack-in-the-box. Work up to whatever suits you. Again, practice under controlled conditions. AS cadence increases, especially downhill, pedal pressure on the foot decreases. A good bump can throw your foot off the pedal (I am assuming you have simple platform pedals and are not clipped in yet). But in the end, especially for MTB, cadence versatility is important. You need to be able to climb over a log or a hump, then pedal like hell for the next couple of yards, so you can climb over the next log, without jumping the gears around all the time. I am not comfortable, but have measured myself at 155 for about 30 seconds, although I tend to ride at the slower end at around 70-75. Many guys are happier at 90-100. IMNSHO, there are limits, but no "correct" cadence. Just watch a bike race.

Ignore those TV shows for now, OK? <G> They look like heroic fun, but just watch the crashes for a while. Each time some mad ******* goes over the bars on the TV, hit yourself in the ribs/shin/back/arm (especially elbows) etc with a kid's baseball bat, just to get used to it! <GG>

And you _will_ fall off and you could get hurt. Tuck and roll, tuck and roll. <G>. Learn to fall if you don't already know how. The difference between rolling over your bike and feeling like a twit, and actually planting your face in the dirt and going _beyond_ caring is huge! Hurt pride is OK. Hurt face...well....hurts. <G>

Stay close to home for a while, riding loops, and maybe ride with a buddy if you go further afield. ALWAYS carry water, and use it. Maybe also take a couple of energy bars. There is nothing like a bike to get you a long way from home very fast, and the only way back on a trail is often you.

Having got all granma on you, for the time being wear a good helmet and gloves, and some light clothing until you get serious. Don't go mad on special clothes, although reasonably tight is good. If you get serious, or fall off too often, tyhen start looking at protective wear.

Wow! Thanks for the awesome and well-thought out response! I will take the time to digest what you have advised as well as peruse through the websites you have suggested. Greatly appreciated.

Hope it helps. Every now and then I feel like really letting rip with words! <G>

As I say, I am still getting there myself. This has its positives and negatives when it comes to "helping".

Just one thing....(until the next one <G>).

When you first start out, tend to have the seat a little lower than you "should" according to theory. I am talking maybe an inch or so here. This allows you to handle dabbing the foot down more easily if you lose balance or get stopped suddenly. As you gain confidence/competence, get the seat up to the right height.

Pericles77 said:
Wow! Thanks for the awesome and well-thought out response! I will take the time to digest what you have advised as well as peruse through the websites you have suggested. Greatly appreciated.
Have you tried bikeforums.net for any other info?
They seem to be really helpful and a lot of members. They are always posting!!
BTW where in Korea are you? I am located in Tongduchon. Kyongii-do. about 2 hours north of seoul. I know a couple GOOD Bike Shops in Seoul. Drop me a line at albertmounger at yahoo dot com and we can maybe hook up for some rides.