Bought my first road bike....how did I do?

1qwikbird

Jun 27, 2010
Long story short, the guy I go MTB with talked me into getting a road bike.

I kinda lurked around here looking to tips and what to avoid. Being a first time buyer I was not willing to go the online route (new or ebay used) because of all the potential pitfalls in sizing, customer services etc. I didn't feel right going to a store getting sized, then turning around and buying on line. I figure I might need the bike shop at some point in the future so a little good will could go a long way.

So with a budget of 800-1000 I quickly learned that was going to get me an aluminum frame/carbon fork bike with bottom line components. Every bike shop I walked into tried their best to push me into one step above the entry level so that the component group would be better. After lots of looking at the popular brands I stumbled upon a huge outdoor bike swap/sale at a local bike shop. I was skeptical of buying used, but figure looking can't hurt. Well I found a 2002 (I think) 58cm Trek 5500 (maybe 5900?) with the following:

Carbon frame/fork (OCLV 120)
Dura Ace Drivetrain (9 gear rear cassette), Brakes, Shifters
Shimano Ultegra Pedals
Botranger Race wheelset and hubs
Botranger Seat (don't know which one, but its comfy)
Thompson Elite seat post (aluminum)
Fresh wrapping on the bars
2 water bottle cages

It was originally sold though the same shop and they were able to produce service history for the bike. They threw in a bike fitment and a tune up.

I paid $850 after lots of deliberating, but felt that I could never get anywhere close to this deal on a new bike. I kinda got brainwashed into buying the best component group I could afford and that weighed heavily into my decision on this bike. The carbon frame, no so much, but it is nice.

It's mine now, so how did I do?

Chris

64Paramount said:
Sounds pretty good to me. How do you like riding it?
It felt good on the test ride, but I was so happy I completely forgot that I don't have the correct style clip-ins for the bike. On my MTB I use egg beaters, but the road bike uses SPD-SL (???). Despite that I went for a quick 5-6 mile loop this morning on it and it felt good, shifted crisp and clean. I can't wait to get it fitted see what that involves. I was told it takes about an hour and a half? Sounds like a long time, but I'm sure there is more to it that I understand at this point. The only thing I noticed was a little bit of numbness in my right hand, but I didn't have my gloves on and I hope the fitting kinda takes that out of the mix altogether.

I'm excited about this bike and being able to roll out of my garage and just go.

Sounds like you did fine. The advice on the better components was, IMHO, spot-on. You can change the pedals to match your other bike(s), rather than investing in more shoes. Enjoy the ride!

Stick with the SPD-SL's. They're great pedals. There's nothing wrong with Crank Bros' Egg Beaters, but the typically stiffer sole of a road shoe, coupled with the wider platform, usually adds up to better foot comfort over the long haul, with the long haul being longer rides. Virtually any road shoe will work (at least any 3 hole road shoe), and there are a quite a few that are priced pretty damned cheap.

I think you did good, Chris. My main road bike has Shimano 105 drive train, hubs, and brakes on it. They've been working great for over 25 years.

Your Dura-Ace components are 2 levels above the 105's, so you will have many years of great performance out of them if you care for them properly.

My pedals are Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL's just like yours (mine are a few years older) and they have performed flawlessly for me....I think you'll really like them. Just get some good shoes....

Congrats on your new bike, post some pics when you get a chance.

:cool: