Bought smoked turkey wings - how do I cook them or heat them up

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doug, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought them.
    They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no
    directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web on
    what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.

    I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them for 2 hours or more
    on a grill.

    I know I can use them as ham hock substitutes, but that's not what I want.

    HELP!!!!

    Tags:

  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 14:43:12 -0800, [email protected] (Doug) wrote:

    >I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought
    >them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no
    >directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web on
    >what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.
    >
    >I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them for 2 hours or more
    >on a grill.

    They're already cooked (they should say that on the package by law). Just wrap in foil and bake for
    a 15 minutes or nuke 'em.

    A lot of (southern) people use them seasoning various tough leafy greens (turnip, chard, etc).

    They're not very meaty - mostly bone and skin, but they're still highly edible just plain.

    -sw

  3. stan

    stan Guest

    Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought
    > them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no
    > directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web
    > on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.

    Smoking is cooking.

    > I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them for 2 hours or more on
    > a grill.

    If the turkey wings have already been smoked, all you need to do is warm them up the same as you
    would with any other previously cooked turkey pieces.

  4. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >stan writes:
    >
    >Doug wrote:
    >>
    >> I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought
    >> them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely
    >> no directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the
    >> web on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.
    >
    >Smoking is cooking.

    Not necessarily... bacon is smoked, but it still needs to be cooked... many meats are cold smoked
    for the added flavor, but they are still raw and require cooking

    Those wings are probably fully cooked, smoked fowl usually is, but without seeing for myself I won't
    tell someone whether it's okay to eat as is, especially if it came from the refrigerated case and
    requires refrigeration for storage Unless the OP can ask someone knowlegeable at the point of
    purchase it's best to assume cooking is required... use them to flavor a stew or soup. Personally,
    even if a poultry product were labeled fully cooked, but needed refrigeration, I'd still cook it,
    well. Many such foods are not properly refrigerated during transport and especially not at the
    market, and so to be safe(er) do the cooking thingie.... packaged fully cooked hotdogs are notorious
    for causing food borne poisoning... never give children uncooked packaged hotdogs as a snack food.