Bought smoked turkey wings - how do I cook them or heat them up

Doug

Guest
I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought them.
They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no
directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web on
what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.

I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them for 2 hours or more
on a grill.

I know I can use them as ham hock substitutes, but that's not what I want.

HELP!!!!

On 28 Jan 2004 14:43:12 -0800, [email protected] (Doug) wrote:

>I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought
>them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no
>directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web on
>what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.
>
>I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them for 2 hours or more
>on a grill.

They're already cooked (they should say that on the package by law). Just wrap in foil and bake for
a 15 minutes or nuke 'em.

A lot of (southern) people use them seasoning various tough leafy greens (turnip, chard, etc).

They're not very meaty - mostly bone and skin, but they're still highly edible just plain.

-sw

Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
> I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought
> them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely no
> directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the web
> on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.

Smoking is cooking.

> I'd like to just heat them up and eat them...or do I have to heat them for 2 hours or more on
> a grill.

If the turkey wings have already been smoked, all you need to do is warm them up the same as you
would with any other previously cooked turkey pieces.

>stan writes:
>
>Doug wrote:
>>
>> I love smoked turkey legs and I saw smoked turkey wings for sale at my local store so I bought
>> them. They are prepackaged, but don't say if they are cooked or not....and there are absolutely
>> no directions on the package. Amazingly enough, there doesn't seem to be anything at all on the
>> web on what to do with smoked turkey wings. Lots on how to smoke them.
>
>Smoking is cooking.

Not necessarily... bacon is smoked, but it still needs to be cooked... many meats are cold smoked
for the added flavor, but they are still raw and require cooking

Those wings are probably fully cooked, smoked fowl usually is, but without seeing for myself I won't
tell someone whether it's okay to eat as is, especially if it came from the refrigerated case and
requires refrigeration for storage Unless the OP can ask someone knowlegeable at the point of
purchase it's best to assume cooking is required... use them to flavor a stew or soup. Personally,
even if a poultry product were labeled fully cooked, but needed refrigeration, I'd still cook it,
well. Many such foods are not properly refrigerated during transport and especially not at the
market, and so to be safe(er) do the cooking thingie.... packaged fully cooked hotdogs are notorious
for causing food borne poisoning... never give children uncooked packaged hotdogs as a snack food.