Bouncing in saddle.

tbuc

Jun 27, 2004
I'm sort of new at the biking thing. On occasion my cadence gets up too high and before I shift, I notice the high cadence causes me to bounce in the saddle. I know that shifting to lower my cadence will stop the bouncing. My question is: Is the bouncing an indication of a misadjusted seat, or is the bouncing normal when you catch yourself peddling at too high a cadence?

Its a matter of FORM .
You can greatly improve your form by pedaling at high cadence and working on not bouncing. Once you do that, your in much better shape over all.

tbuc said:
I'm sort of new at the biking thing. On occasion my cadence gets up too high and before I shift, I notice the high cadence causes me to bounce in the saddle. I know that shifting to lower my cadence will stop the bouncing. My question is: Is the bouncing an indication of a misadjusted seat, or is the bouncing normal when you catch yourself peddling at too high a cadence?

How fast do you pedal before you start bouncing. It could be your seat is slightly too high, try lowering it a bit, 2-3 mm at a time. Or it could just be your cadence is too high, especially if you're not used to it. Try staying in the 80-100 range, if you're bouncing at 100 rpm then your seat is most likely the problem.

Are you on a Full Suspension? Often times people have the rear set-up waaaay too soft for what it should be.

sstaurus said:
Are you on a Full Suspension? Often times people have the rear set-up waaaay too soft for what it should be.

I also find I start to bounce if my rear tire pressure is getting a bit low. I ride a MTB with slicks, so it may be more pronounced than true road tire. I keep it at 100psi, but at about 75psi I start to bounce in my saddle.

If you are bouncing, then you're prolly not pedalling 360 degrees. You're prolly pushing hard on the down stroke and not pulling on your upstroke, so really focus on evening out your pedalling throughout the whole 360 rotation.

WINGNUTT said:
If you are bouncing, then you're prolly not pedalling 360 degrees. You're prolly pushing hard on the down stroke and not pulling on your upstroke, so really focus on evening out your pedalling throughout the whole 360 rotation.

Good point. This is a struggle for me and one that I constantly am trying to remind myself to do. Now, I say constantly trying to remind myself to do, I am not very successful. I hope this will help me to remember more often.

Thanks,

WINGNUTT said:

Prolly. Thanks.