Boundaries

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Simon, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
    "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular boundary
    for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a Freerider
    dropping a new 30ft drop.

    Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.

    Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and go further than 55miles
    in one ride.

    ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

  2. David ¹

    David ¹ Guest

    Double Century (200 miles) Obviously XC

    Dave

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
    go
    > further than 55miles in one ride.

    > ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    My best rides are my cleanest rides...I have no interest in huge drops/monster DH runs.

    This probably comes from growing up/learing to ride in Maryland, where sick drops are 2 feet, but
    regardless, I'm an XC rider (on paper at least). The smoother, faster, and cleaner I pull off a tech
    section, the better. I'd much rather hit foot-and-a-half logs, rock gardens, and stream crossings
    perfectly than throw myself off a cliff.

    Of course, had I spent any time in Moab, I might disagree.

    I guess you would say my boundaries lie in smoothing out my technique.

    Chris

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
    go
    > further than 55miles in one ride.

    > ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
    go
    > further than 55miles in one ride.

    Right now I'm into DH riding a racing. I'm working on racing at an expert level next season which
    will put me on the pro/expert courses. That 55 miler sounds intriguing though. On dirt?

    Mike

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Simon wrote:
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
    > "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular
    > boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a
    > Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and go further than 55miles
    > in one ride.

    I don't so much have boundaries, as stuff I'd like to do. Most of them involve pushing boundaries to
    some degree or another, I guess.

    I'd like to compete in the Mega Avalanche Challenge (hopefully this Summer). I'd like to cross the
    Alps, off-road. I want to nail a backflip. I want to ride my bikes, and take in as many different
    trails, in as many different countries, with as many friends as I can.

  6. Simon wrote:
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
    > "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular
    > boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a
    > Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and go further than 55miles
    > in one ride.

    I'm kinda bouncing off of all the walls. I can climb pretty steep stuff, but there are some
    technical climbs that I'm working on.

    I'm also trying to get more aggressive with wheelie drops. I can do them no problem given enough
    room and runout, but on a number of the local trails the ledges have turns at the top and bottom,
    and a decent accumulation of babyhead rocks top and bottom.

    As always, I'd like to be faster.

    I'd like to get a top five in my class at the 2003 Ironhorse MTB race.

    And I'd like to do a double century on the road.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  7. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
    go
    > further than 55miles in one ride.

    The Pros? <laugh> I don't get paid for it. But i do spend my money on it! Definitely a XC rider as
    far as my lit'le short legs'll take me. Have certainly done more than 3' drops. Unfortunately
    cleaning versus non-cleaning ratio is sadly in the 40/60 range. Ouch. The force is strong.... but
    needs some development... LOL! 55miles plus on dirt is a "havin' a v. good week" achievement for me.
    Tomorrow 10.00am I embark on a solo 80 mile 1800' climb/descent lunch 800'
    climb/descent ride. News and pics at 10... ;-) I'm also sort-of training for this:
    http://www.rainbowrage.co.nz/welcome.html Never done it before but it looks like something
    that (provided the staffing at work holds out) I'll really enjoy. Not in the top 200 (or even
    300) but certainly enjoy it rather than find it painful.

    Westie

  8. Simon says:

    >After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
    >"pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular
    >boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a
    >Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.

    I don't have any boundaries. Not that I'm _that_ good, but I really don't care. I have been
    extremely non-competitive since about 12 years old, and plan on staying that way. I ride my bike to
    ...... ride my bike. I'm not worried whether it's road or off-road, although dirt is preferred. We
    don't have more than about 200 yards of off-road track on the island in any one place, so rides
    become a kind of stringing together of what's available with necessarily large-ish amopunts of road
    in between.

    Bottom line - I ride a bike.

    Steve "cabin fever" Baker

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip for content>
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.

    Who gives a shit about what "the pros" do? Just shut the hell up and ride, you
    idol-worshipping clone.

    JD

  10. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:21:55 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My best rides are my cleanest rides...I have no interest in huge drops/monster DH runs.
    >
    >This probably comes from growing up/learing to ride in Maryland, where sick drops are 2 feet, but
    >regardless, I'm an XC rider (on paper at least). The smoother, faster, and cleaner I pull off a
    >tech section, the better. I'd much rather hit foot-and-a-half logs, rock gardens, and stream
    >crossings perfectly than throw myself off a cliff.

    True,

    Bill (MD has MUCH more that 2 foot drops, just gotta know where to look) Wheeler The mind serves
    properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate
    view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  11. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    | with
    | > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    | you
    | > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    | > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    | >
    | > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    | >
    | > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft
    and
    | go
    | > further than 55miles in one ride.
    | >

    | Right now I'm into DH riding a racing. I'm working on racing at an expert level next season which
    | will put me on the pro/expert courses. That 55 miler sounds intriguing though. On dirt?
    |
    | Mike

    yes on dirt. Have done similar on road bike too in the past but sold the road bike when I had
    back injuries.

    Simon

  12. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Simon wrote:
    | > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    | > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    | > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    | > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    | >
    | > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    | >
    | > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft
    and go
    | > further than 55miles in one ride.
    |
    | I don't so much have boundaries, as stuff I'd like to do. Most of them involve pushing boundaries
    | to some degree or another, I guess.
    |
    | I'd like to compete in the Mega Avalanche Challenge (hopefully this
    Summer).
    | I'd like to cross the Alps, off-road. I want to nail a backflip. I want to ride my bikes, and take
    | in as many different trails, in as many different countries, with as many friends as I can.
    |
    | --
    | a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    |
    | a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    With you there on the backflip thing but I really dont have the balls for
    it. Cant risk another broken back :eek:)

    Simon

  13. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Simon says:
    |
    | >After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    | >regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    | >would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    | >section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    |
    | I don't have any boundaries. Not that I'm _that_ good, but I really don't care. I have been
    | extremely non-competitive since about 12 years old, and
    plan
    | on staying that way. I ride my bike to ...... ride my bike. I'm not worried whether it's road
    or
    | off-road, although dirt is preferred. We don't have more than about 200
    yards
    | of off-road track on the island in any one place, so rides become a kind
    of
    | stringing together of what's available with necessarily large-ish amopunts
    of
    | road in between.
    |
    | Bottom line - I ride a bike.
    |
    | Steve "cabin fever" Baker

    You kinda just described myself there. I am non competitive too but I do like to push my own limits.
    I hear you with the island thing. I grew up on one too, but we had a lot more offroad track.

    Simon

  14. >"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    >with
    >> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    >you
    >> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    >> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >>
    >> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >>
    >> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
    >go
    >> further than 55miles in one ride.

    First of all, there are no boundaries except maybe in your head. Whenever I think of progression
    though, I think of my, wait for it, BMX. I shall build a decent sized eight pack this spring, I
    shall learn 360's over doubles, I shall learn to air quarters properly.

    My MTB is just something I enjoy riding.

    Oh wait, one more, I shall learn to ignore GT / JD's trolling posts.

    Steve E.

  15. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
    with
    > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
    you
    > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
    > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
    >
    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
    go
    > further than 55miles in one ride.

    > ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

    I don't keep up with the Pro's but I do have a general philosophy about keeping in control. As a
    Mtber/Road cyclist I believe one's skills should develop as one puts time in the saddle. You push
    the "boundary" each time you try something new. As my skills develop I often try new things but
    within my confidence level and skill level. I master each new skill rather then constantly do one
    half ass. I know that any drops or ledges over 3 feet will hurt my left knee so I don't even attempt
    anything larger. I'm not afraid to climb anything because I know how to dismount gracefully. I can
    descend most sections but still not to shy to walk if I get that little voice of "caution"
    especially on sections I've never ridden before.

    All said I don't think one should "push" the boundary of their limits but build skills slowly and
    masterfully.

    Thus the nickname.... Cleanbean

  16. "Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'd like to get a top five in my class at the 2003 Ironhorse MTB race.
    >
    > And I'd like to do a double century on the road.

    > My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

    Is that the Ironhorse in my neck of the woods? I would like to ride it this year, after the train
    race the day before (I think), but I don't have any high expectations. Just want to ride. Give me a
    call, we'll catch a beer!
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

  17. Cleanbean

    Cleanbean Guest

    > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > <snip for content>
    > > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    >
    > Who gives a shit about what "the pros" do? Just shut the hell up and ride, you
    > idol-worshipping clone.
    >
    > JD

    JD, Now how did I know you were going to say that? Why don't ya just be blunt?

    How are things looking for the end of June in Idaho? I'm planning to make the trip if at all
    possible. If I come I'll be bringing my Son Josh to participate in the dirt activities. I've given
    Paladin a heads up. You know if I visit then you guys need to reciprocate and come down here and
    experience our so called "flat" terrain. Anytime during the year is good. Open invintation.

    Cleanbean

  18. Craig Brossman wrote:

    >"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>I'd like to get a top five in my class at the 2003 Ironhorse MTB race.
    >>
    >>And I'd like to do a double century on the road.

    >>--
    >>My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.
    >>

    >Is that the Ironhorse in my neck of the woods? I would like to ride it this year, after the train
    >race the day before (I think), but I don't have any high expectations. Just want to ride. Give me a
    >call, we'll catch a beer!
    >--
    >Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

    One and the same! I did the citizen's ride last year and got 13th in the MTB race the next day. On
    the exact same course, I got 7th in the NCS last July. I plan on showing up again and trying to do a
    bit better.

    Are you going to race the train? Those Costa Rican mean business this year!

    I'll give you a shout when we are close to heading out.

  19. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:34:26 -0000, Simon wrote:

    > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.

    Many of us really don't care who the pros are or what they do, or where we are relative to them.
    This is just riding a bicycle, after all. There are no trophies in the woods.

    My boundaries are my own. If I can climb hard, get a little air, make it over some tricky stuff, and
    feel the pure joy of mountain biking, I'm a happy man.

  20. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > <snip for content>
    > > > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
    > >
    > > Who gives a shit about what "the pros" do? Just shut the hell up and ride, you idol-worshipping
    > > clone.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > JD, Now how did I know you were going to say that? Why don't ya just be blunt?
    >
    > How are things looking for the end of June in Idaho? I'm planning to make the trip if at all
    > possible. If I come I'll be bringing my Son Josh to participate in the dirt activities. I've given
    > Paladin a heads up. You know if I visit then you guys need to reciprocate and come down here and
    > experience our so called "flat" terrain. Anytime during the year is good. Open invintation.
    >
    > Cleanbean

    Still working on that right now Cleanbean. I'm sure CDB will have it all worked out in time to make
    plans. I dunno about Texas, Mr Sloan may try and run me over.

    JD