Boundaries

Simon

Guest
After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
"pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular boundary
for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a Freerider
dropping a new 30ft drop.

Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.

Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and go further than 55miles
in one ride.

***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

Double Century (200 miles) Obviously XC

Dave

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
go
> further than 55miles in one ride.

> ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

My best rides are my cleanest rides...I have no interest in huge drops/monster DH runs.

This probably comes from growing up/learing to ride in Maryland, where sick drops are 2 feet, but
regardless, I'm an XC rider (on paper at least). The smoother, faster, and cleaner I pull off a tech
section, the better. I'd much rather hit foot-and-a-half logs, rock gardens, and stream crossings
perfectly than throw myself off a cliff.

Of course, had I spent any time in Moab, I might disagree.

I guess you would say my boundaries lie in smoothing out my technique.

Chris

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
go
> further than 55miles in one ride.

> ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
go
> further than 55miles in one ride.

Right now I'm into DH riding a racing. I'm working on racing at an expert level next season which
will put me on the pro/expert courses. That 55 miler sounds intriguing though. On dirt?

Mike

Simon wrote:
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
> "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular
> boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a
> Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and go further than 55miles
> in one ride.

I don't so much have boundaries, as stuff I'd like to do. Most of them involve pushing boundaries to
some degree or another, I guess.

I'd like to compete in the Mega Avalanche Challenge (hopefully this Summer). I'd like to cross the
Alps, off-road. I want to nail a backflip. I want to ride my bikes, and take in as many different
trails, in as many different countries, with as many friends as I can.

Simon wrote:
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
> "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular
> boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a
> Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and go further than 55miles
> in one ride.

I'm kinda bouncing off of all the walls. I can climb pretty steep stuff, but there are some
technical climbs that I'm working on.

I'm also trying to get more aggressive with wheelie drops. I can do them no problem given enough
room and runout, but on a number of the local trails the ledges have turns at the top and bottom,
and a decent accumulation of babyhead rocks top and bottom.

As always, I'd like to be faster.

I'd like to get a top five in my class at the 2003 Ironhorse MTB race.

And I'd like to do a double century on the road.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
go
> further than 55miles in one ride.

The Pros? <laugh> I don't get paid for it. But i do spend my money on it! Definitely a XC rider as
far as my lit'le short legs'll take me. Have certainly done more than 3' drops. Unfortunately
cleaning versus non-cleaning ratio is sadly in the 40/60 range. Ouch. The force is strong.... but
needs some development... LOL! 55miles plus on dirt is a "havin' a v. good week" achievement for me.
Tomorrow 10.00am I embark on a solo 80 mile 1800' climb/descent lunch 800'
climb/descent ride. News and pics at 10... ;-) I'm also sort-of training for this:
http://www.rainbowrage.co.nz/welcome.html Never done it before but it looks like something
that (provided the staffing at work holds out) I'll really enjoy. Not in the top 200 (or even
300) but certainly enjoy it rather than find it painful.

Westie

Simon says:

>After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas with regards to what
>"pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of you would consider as a particular
>boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest section of a certain trail or a
>Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.

I don't have any boundaries. Not that I'm _that_ good, but I really don't care. I have been
extremely non-competitive since about 12 years old, and plan on staying that way. I ride my bike to
...... ride my bike. I'm not worried whether it's road or off-road, although dirt is preferred. We
don't have more than about 200 yards of off-road track on the island in any one place, so rides
become a kind of stringing together of what's available with necessarily large-ish amopunts of road
in between.

Bottom line - I ride a bike.

Steve "cabin fever" Baker

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip for content>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.

Who gives a **** about what "the pros" do? Just shut the hell up and ride, you
idol-worshipping clone.

JD

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:21:55 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My best rides are my cleanest rides...I have no interest in huge drops/monster DH runs.
>
>This probably comes from growing up/learing to ride in Maryland, where sick drops are 2 feet, but
>regardless, I'm an XC rider (on paper at least). The smoother, faster, and cleaner I pull off a
>tech section, the better. I'd much rather hit foot-and-a-half logs, rock gardens, and stream
>crossings perfectly than throw myself off a cliff.

True,

Bill (MD has MUCH more that 2 foot drops, just gotta know where to look) Wheeler The mind serves
properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate
view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

| "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
| with
| > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
| you
| > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
| > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
| >
| > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
| >
| > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft
and
| go
| > further than 55miles in one ride.
| >

| Right now I'm into DH riding a racing. I'm working on racing at an expert level next season which
| will put me on the pro/expert courses. That 55 miler sounds intriguing though. On dirt?
|
| Mike

yes on dirt. Have done similar on road bike too in the past but sold the road bike when I had
back injuries.

Simon

| Simon wrote:
| > After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
| > regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
| > would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
| > section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
| >
| > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
| >
| > Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft
and go
| > further than 55miles in one ride.
|
| I don't so much have boundaries, as stuff I'd like to do. Most of them involve pushing boundaries
| to some degree or another, I guess.
|
| I'd like to compete in the Mega Avalanche Challenge (hopefully this
Summer).
| I'd like to cross the Alps, off-road. I want to nail a backflip. I want to ride my bikes, and take
| in as many different trails, in as many different countries, with as many friends as I can.
|
| --
| a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
|
| a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

With you there on the backflip thing but I really dont have the balls for
it. Cant risk another broken back :eek:)

Simon

| Simon says:
|
| >After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
| >regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
| >would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
| >section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
|
| I don't have any boundaries. Not that I'm _that_ good, but I really don't care. I have been
| extremely non-competitive since about 12 years old, and
plan
| on staying that way. I ride my bike to ...... ride my bike. I'm not worried whether it's road
or
| off-road, although dirt is preferred. We don't have more than about 200
yards
| of off-road track on the island in any one place, so rides become a kind
of
| stringing together of what's available with necessarily large-ish amopunts
of
| road in between.
|
| Bottom line - I ride a bike.
|
| Steve "cabin fever" Baker

You kinda just described myself there. I am non competitive too but I do like to push my own limits.
I hear you with the island thing. I grew up on one too, but we had a lot more offroad track.

Simon

>"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
>with
>> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
>you
>> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
>> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>>
>> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>>
>> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
>go
>> further than 55miles in one ride.

First of all, there are no boundaries except maybe in your head. Whenever I think of progression
though, I think of my, wait for it, BMX. I shall build a decent sized eight pack this spring, I
shall learn 360's over doubles, I shall learn to air quarters properly.

My MTB is just something I enjoy riding.

Oh wait, one more, I shall learn to ignore GT / JD's trolling posts.

Steve E.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After reading recent posts it seems alot of people have differing ideas
with
> regards to what "pushing the limits" are. It made me wonder what each of
you
> would consider as a particular boundary for yourselves. Be it an XC rider cleaning the steepest
> section of a certain trail or a Freerider dropping a new 30ft drop.
>
> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Simon..... still trying to jump the 20ft doubles, drop more than 10ft and
go
> further than 55miles in one ride.

> ***-=[ http://www.tau-designs.co.uk ]=-***

I don't keep up with the Pro's but I do have a general philosophy about keeping in control. As a
Mtber/Road cyclist I believe one's skills should develop as one puts time in the saddle. You push
the "boundary" each time you try something new. As my skills develop I often try new things but
within my confidence level and skill level. I master each new skill rather then constantly do one
half ass. I know that any drops or ledges over 3 feet will hurt my left knee so I don't even attempt
anything larger. I'm not afraid to climb anything because I know how to dismount gracefully. I can
descend most sections but still not to shy to walk if I get that little voice of "caution"
especially on sections I've never ridden before.

All said I don't think one should "push" the boundary of their limits but build skills slowly and
masterfully.

Thus the nickname.... Cleanbean

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'd like to get a top five in my class at the 2003 Ironhorse MTB race.
>
> And I'd like to do a double century on the road.

> My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

Is that the Ironhorse in my neck of the woods? I would like to ride it this year, after the train
race the day before (I think), but I don't have any high expectations. Just want to ride. Give me a
call, we'll catch a beer!
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

> "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip for content>
> > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
>
> Who gives a **** about what "the pros" do? Just shut the hell up and ride, you
> idol-worshipping clone.
>
> JD

JD, Now how did I know you were going to say that? Why don't ya just be blunt?

How are things looking for the end of June in Idaho? I'm planning to make the trip if at all
possible. If I come I'll be bringing my Son Josh to participate in the dirt activities. I've given
Paladin a heads up. You know if I visit then you guys need to reciprocate and come down here and
experience our so called "flat" terrain. Anytime during the year is good. Open invintation.

Cleanbean

Craig Brossman wrote:

>"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>

>>I'd like to get a top five in my class at the 2003 Ironhorse MTB race.
>>
>>And I'd like to do a double century on the road.

>>--
>>My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.
>>

>Is that the Ironhorse in my neck of the woods? I would like to ride it this year, after the train
>race the day before (I think), but I don't have any high expectations. Just want to ride. Give me a
>call, we'll catch a beer!
>--
>Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

One and the same! I did the citizen's ride last year and got 13th in the MTB race the next day. On
the exact same course, I got 7th in the NCS last July. I plan on showing up again and trying to do a
bit better.

Are you going to race the train? Those Costa Rican mean business this year!

I'll give you a shout when we are close to heading out.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:34:26 -0000, Simon wrote:

> Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.

Many of us really don't care who the pros are or what they do, or where we are relative to them.
This is just riding a bicycle, after all. There are no trophies in the woods.

My boundaries are my own. If I can climb hard, get a little air, make it over some tricky stuff, and
feel the pure joy of mountain biking, I'm a happy man.

"Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip for content>
> > > Just interested to see where people are with reagrd to the pros.
> >
> > Who gives a **** about what "the pros" do? Just shut the hell up and ride, you idol-worshipping
> > clone.
> >
> > JD
>
> JD, Now how did I know you were going to say that? Why don't ya just be blunt?
>
> How are things looking for the end of June in Idaho? I'm planning to make the trip if at all
> possible. If I come I'll be bringing my Son Josh to participate in the dirt activities. I've given
> Paladin a heads up. You know if I visit then you guys need to reciprocate and come down here and
> experience our so called "flat" terrain. Anytime during the year is good. Open invintation.
>
> Cleanbean

Still working on that right now Cleanbean. I'm sure CDB will have it all worked out in time to make
plans. I dunno about Texas, Mr Sloan may try and run me over.

JD