Bovine trail builders.

Tj

Guest
I did not know that cows have built in clinometers. They can make a bench cut with out any trail
care crew training. Switchbacks are always a pleasure to ride when cut by a cow. They can make
contol points while chewing a cud. They naturally keep the dust down by "watering" . I would say
that cows make better singletrack builders. The world needs more cows. Not just on bikes either.

TJ

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I did not know that cows have built in clinometers. They can make a bench cut with out any trail
> care crew training. Switchbacks are always a pleasure to ride when cut by a cow. They can make
> contol points while chewing a cud. They naturally keep the dust down by "watering" . I would say
> that cows make better singletrack builders. The world needs more
cows.
> Not just on bikes either.
>
> TJ

Those Fruita cows must be smarter than the Gunnison ones. While our cows are good at starting
trails, they will often make eight or ten parallel trails instead of one. They also don't stay off
when it's wet and end up making them all chopped up. Then to top it all off, they drop those big
land mines that will blow up all over you (and sometimes your bite valve) if you hit one. All that
being said, some of my favorite trails were started by cows and then refined by humans. That seems
to be a good combo.

Matt (Beef. It makes trails.)

MattB says:

>All that being said, some of my favorite trails were started by cows and then refined by humans.
>That seems to be a good combo.

My best memory of hillside trails cut by animals were the trails on the Wares west of Swanage
(that's as in Dorset, England) by the sheep from Giles' Farm. Used to walk down there once a week or
so to go swimming. Perfect little trails, occasional switchbacks.

Steve

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I did not know that cows have built in clinometers. They can make a
bench
> > cut with out any trail care crew training. Switchbacks are always a pleasure to ride when cut by
> > a cow. They can make contol points while chewing a cud. They naturally keep the dust down by
> > "watering" . I
would
> > say that cows make better singletrack builders. The world needs more
> cows.
> > Not just on bikes either.
> >
> > TJ
> >

> Those Fruita cows must be smarter than the Gunnison ones. While our cows
are
> good at starting trails, they will often make eight or ten parallel trails instead of one. They
> also don't stay off when it's wet and end up making them all chopped up. Then to top it all off,
> they drop those big land
mines
> that will blow up all over you (and sometimes your bite valve) if you hit one. All that being
> said, some of my favorite trails were started by cows and then refined by humans. That seems to be
> a good combo.
>
> Matt (Beef. It makes trails.)

I agree cows have a tendency to wander and not go anywhere that you want to be. Regarding the
landmines they lay. Those are usually dried up within minutes. We have some folks around here that
paint the cowchips and sell them as art.

TJ

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:56:10 -0600, TJ wrote:

> I agree cows have a tendency to wander and not go anywhere that you want to be. Regarding the
> landmines they lay. Those are usually dried up within minutes.

"Minutes?". In a furnace maybe.

> We have some folks around here that paint the cowchips and sell them as art.

Lemme guess - to tourists?

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> I agree cows have a tendency to wander and not go anywhere that you want
> be. Regarding the landmines they lay. Those are usually dried up within minutes. We have some
> folks around here that paint the cowchips and sell them as art.
>
> TJ

I don't know about drying in minutes, that usually just creates the hardened shell that keeps the
soft insides fresh (from my experience). Maybe it's because it cooler up here. Although once they do
dry in a day or two they are quite benign and sometimes a good launch point for a bunny hop. Just be
sure it really is dry and not just hardened a little on the outside!

Matt

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:17:45 -0600, MattB wrote:

> I don't know about drying in minutes, that usually just creates the hardened shell that keeps the
> soft insides fresh (from my experience).

This guy has had way too much experience with cow ****. Then again, I grew up on a ranch so I have
to say the same thing about me.

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:17:45 -0600, MattB wrote:
>
> > I don't know about drying in minutes, that usually just creates the
hardened
> > shell that keeps the soft insides fresh (from my experience).
>
> This guy has had way too much experience with cow ****. Then again, I grew up on a ranch so I have
> to say the same thing about me.

I'd have to agree. Given the choice I'd take a little less experience with
it. Unfortunately it's a pretty permanent part of the landscape here. It literally comes with the
territory.

Matt (and that ain't no BS!)

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:17:45 -0600, MattB wrote:
>
> > I don't know about drying in minutes, that usually just creates the
hardened
> > shell that keeps the soft insides fresh (from my experience).
>
> This guy has had way too much experience with cow ****. Then again, I grew up on a ranch so I have
> to say the same thing about me.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Yeah. I spent a not insubstantial part of my early life on a dairy farm and milking cows. I might
have seen plenty of cow ****, but I don't appreciate it any more because of it. On a frosty cold
morning, the feeling of a warm, wet steaming cowpat blobbing it's way off the top of your head and
down the neck of your overalls is something that you don't forget easily...
--
Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:17:45 -0600, MattB wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know about drying in minutes, that usually just creates the
> hardened
> > > shell that keeps the soft insides fresh (from my experience).
> >
> > This guy has had way too much experience with cow ****. Then again, I
grew
> > up on a ranch so I have to say the same thing about me.
> >
> > --
> > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
>
> Yeah. I spent a not insubstantial part of my early life on a dairy farm
and
> milking cows. I might have seen plenty of cow ****, but I don't
appreciate
> it any more because of it. On a frosty cold morning, the feeling of a
warm,
> wet steaming cowpat blobbing it's way off the top of your head and down
the
> neck of your overalls is something that you don't forget easily...

You milked the cow with your head up its ass?!?

Bill "I've heard of cold ears, but that's ridiculous" S.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:32:30 +1200, Westie wrote:

> Yeah. I spent a not insubstantial part of my early life on a dairy farm and milking cows. I might
> have seen plenty of cow ****, but I don't appreciate it any more because of it. On a frosty cold
> morning, the feeling of a warm, wet steaming cowpat blobbing it's way off the top of your head and
> down the neck of your overalls is something that you don't forget easily...

Yikes, I'm glad we raised beef cattle!

news:eek:[email protected]...
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > hardened
> > >
> > > This guy has had way too much experience with cow ****. Then again, I
> grew
> > > up on a ranch so I have to say the same thing about me.
> > >
> > > --
> > > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
> >
> > Yeah. I spent a not insubstantial part of my early life on a dairy farm
> and
> > milking cows. I might have seen plenty of cow ****, but I don't
> appreciate
> > it any more because of it. On a frosty cold morning, the feeling of a
> warm,
> > wet steaming cowpat blobbing it's way off the top of your head and down
> the
> > neck of your overalls is something that you don't forget easily...
>
> You milked the cow with your head up its ass?!?
>
> Bill "I've heard of cold ears, but that's ridiculous" S.

LOL! OK, you got me!
--
Westie