Boycott of Canadian seafood

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gabby, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United States'
    Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?

    Gabby

    Tags:

  2. In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United States'
    > Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?
    >
    > Gabby

    It's never going to happen...
    and should not be supported.

    I don't mean to sound harsh or cruel, but controlled hunting with bag
    limits is often beneficial to the overall population, and the
    environment. There are no longer enough natural predators to keep them
    in check.

    They did stop hunting the Harp seals for awhile, but then the seals
    started to over-populate and there were some serious problems with them.

    http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/1999/fishaq/0105n03.htm

    I hate those hunts too, (those big eyed, fluffy white babies are SO
    adorable!) but it seems that they are a necessary thing. :-(

    Just like deer hunting in our area. The Texas white tails breed like
    goats, and many of the does have twins.

    http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/s/c_fea_deer_NY_overpopulations-
    woes_wire.html
    --
    Peace, Om.

  3. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United States'
    > Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?

    I have not heard anything about such a boycott until I saw your posting.

  4. jay

    jay Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:25:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    > "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United States'
    >> Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?
    >>
    >> Gabby
    >>

    > Just like deer hunting in our area. The Texas white tails breed like
    > goats, and many of the does have twins.

    AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.

    We like 'em in a good pot of chili.

  5. In article <aU%[email protected]>,
    jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:25:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    > > "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United
    > >> States'
    > >> Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?
    > >>
    > >> Gabby
    > >>

    > > Just like deer hunting in our area. The Texas white tails breed like
    > > goats, and many of the does have twins.

    > AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    > kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    > things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    > size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.
    >
    > We like 'em in a good pot of chili.

    <snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>

    There is a small herd that grazes right across the street from me, and
    they are finally starting to become a problem with the bulb garden in
    the driveway. Fortunately they are not interested in Cannas, and the
    roses are fenced.

    The dogs keep them from being interested in jumping over the fence. A 6'
    fence is nothing to a white tail.

    The last time I had venison, I made tacos........

    I'm within city limits and you cannot discharge firearms, so harvesting
    them is out. The city deer are getting denser in population as a result.

    They grow fat on those well watered lawns in town,

    and they steal grain from the bird feeders. <G>

    I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    > in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.

    What kinda fence is that... that's not a fence, that's a decorative
    border.

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    > > in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.

    > What kinda fence is that... that's not a fence, that's a decorative
    > border.

    Exactly... ;-)

    But, it keeps his itty bitty dog from running loose.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  8. Gabby

    Gabby Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    > "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United
    >> States'
    >> Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?

    > It's never going to happen...
    > and should not be supported.

    On that we agree.

    > I don't mean to sound harsh or cruel, but controlled hunting with bag
    > limits is often beneficial to the overall population, and the
    > environment. There are no longer enough natural predators to keep them
    > in check.
    >
    > They did stop hunting the Harp seals for awhile, but then the seals
    > started to over-populate and there were some serious problems with them.
    >
    > http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/1999/fishaq/0105n03.htm
    >
    > I hate those hunts too, (those big eyed, fluffy white babies are SO
    > adorable!) but it seems that they are a necessary thing. :-(

    Actually, the commercial hunt of whitecoats was banned in Canada in 1987.
    And the legal hunt is supposed to be done with guns. That makes it no
    crueler than any other hunt and also no crueler than the average slaughter
    house but I don't hear the Humane Society screaming to have beef & chicken
    boycotted.

    I was just wondering about the boycott, because the commercials we hear out
    here make it sound as though this boycott is a great success -- that our
    sale of seafood has dropped by more than twice what the seal hunt brings in.

    Gabby

  9. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:35 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <aU%[email protected]>,
    > jay <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:25:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >>
    >> > In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    >> > "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Just like deer hunting in our area. The Texas white tails breed like
    >> > goats, and many of the does have twins.

    >> AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    >> kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    >> things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    >> size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.
    >>
    >> We like 'em in a good pot of chili.
    >>

    ><snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    >Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>
    >

    >I'm within city limits and you cannot discharge firearms, so harvesting
    >them is out. The city deer are getting denser in population as a result.
    >
    >They grow fat on those well watered lawns in town,
    >
    >and they steal grain from the bird feeders. <G>
    >
    >I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    >in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.

    We call 'em rats with hooves.

    Boron

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <o5%[email protected]>,
    > > "Gabby" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized by the United
    > >> States'
    > >> Humane Society to try to force the closure of the seal hunt?

    > > It's never going to happen...
    > > and should not be supported.

    > On that we agree.
    >
    > > I don't mean to sound harsh or cruel, but controlled hunting with bag
    > > limits is often beneficial to the overall population, and the
    > > environment. There are no longer enough natural predators to keep them
    > > in check.
    > >
    > > They did stop hunting the Harp seals for awhile, but then the seals
    > > started to over-populate and there were some serious problems with them.
    > >
    > > http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/1999/fishaq/0105n03.htm
    > >
    > > I hate those hunts too, (those big eyed, fluffy white babies are SO
    > > adorable!) but it seems that they are a necessary thing. :-(

    > Actually, the commercial hunt of whitecoats was banned in Canada in 1987.
    > And the legal hunt is supposed to be done with guns. That makes it no
    > crueler than any other hunt and also no crueler than the average slaughter
    > house but I don't hear the Humane Society screaming to have beef & chicken
    > boycotted.

    <lol> Pardon me for laughing, but your point was oh so true!

    > I was just wondering about the boycott, because the commercials we hear out
    > here make it sound as though this boycott is a great success -- that our
    > sale of seafood has dropped by more than twice what the seal hunt brings in.
    >
    > Gabby

    Heh. Most of our seafood here does and always has come partially from
    the east and west coasts, and mostly from the gulf coast with selected
    imports from the Orient.

    I have never seen Canadian seafood for sale. Not in many years of buying
    it, so I don't see what the big deal is.

    Maybe further North?

    --
    Peace, Om.

  11. Boron Elgar wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:35 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <aU%[email protected]>,
    > > jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    > >> kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    > >> things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    > >> size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.
    > >>
    > >> We like 'em in a good pot of chili.
    > >>

    > ><snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    > >Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>
    > >

    > >I'm within city limits and you cannot discharge firearms, so harvesting
    > >them is out. The city deer are getting denser in population as a result.
    > >
    > >They grow fat on those well watered lawns in town,
    > >
    > >and they steal grain from the bird feeders. <G>
    > >
    > >I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    > >in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.

    > We call 'em rats with hooves.

    Don't recall the exact numbers but ISTR that every year several hundred folx
    at least and many thousands more are injured in deer - vehicle accidents
    (the most being in Michigan IIRC), they are a real menace.

    Every fall my hometown (downstate Illannoy) newspaper's "blotter" section is
    filled with such accident reports...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  12. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Heh. Most of our seafood here does and always has come partially from
    > the east and west coasts, and mostly from the gulf coast with selected
    > imports from the Orient.
    >
    > I have never seen Canadian seafood for sale. Not in many years of buying
    > it, so I don't see what the big deal is.
    >
    > Maybe further North?

    You've had it, you just haven't seen it labelled as such. About 3/4 of the
    Canadian seafood haul is exported to the States

    http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/newsrel/2005/hq-ac09_e.htm

    CANADIAN SEAFOOD EXPORTS REACH $4.5 BILLION IN 2004

    "The United States remains Canada's largest export destination, with nearly
    two-thirds of its seafood products, valued at $2.8 billion, sold to this
    market. Once again, Japan ranked second with Canadian seafood imports valued
    at nearly $500 million. Exports to the European Union, Canada's third
    largest trading partner, increased by 4.0 per cent last year to more than
    $474 million. China and Hong Kong followed at $366 million.

    The top three species exported from Canada last year were lobster, crab, and
    salmon (farmed and wild) with a combined value of more than $2.5 billion.
    They accounted for 55 per cent of Canada's seafood exports. Lobster exports
    were $951.7 million, followed by crab, worth $925.6 million, and salmon, at
    $573.5 million. Other major export species included herring, scallops, cod,
    halibut, and clams, with a combined value of almost $600 million.

    Nova Scotia was once again the largest exporting province at $1.09 billion,
    with its top-valued products - lobster, scallops, and crab - accounting for
    more than $615 million. Newfoundland and Labrador came in second, with
    exports worth $1.01 billion - shrimp, crab, and Atlantic cod being its
    highest-selling products. British Columbia ranked third at $985 million; New
    Brunswick, fourth at $824 million. The province of Quebec saw a significant
    increase of more than 15 per cent in exports last year, moving it up to
    fifth place with $218 million, ahead of Prince Edward Island, at $181
    million.

    For further information on Canada's seafood export statistics, refer to
    Fisheries and Oceans' Statistical Services website at:
    www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communic/statistics/main_e.htm "

    AND:

    http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/protect_seals/why_a_boycott_of_canadian_seafood/

    "The bulk of Canadian seafood-an estimated 75% of it-is exported to the
    United States, generating more than $3 billion (CAD) annually for the
    Canadian economy.

    More than 80% of the value of Newfoundland's fishery is from shellfish such
    as snow crabs, while sealing accounts for only 2%. Canadian snow crab
    exports to the United States-the bulk of which originate in Newfoundland-are
    valued at more than $370 million (USD) a year. This dwarfs the few million
    dollars from the seal hunt in comparison.

    The Importance of Snow Crabs

    Almost all U.S. snow crab imports come from Canada. So simply by eliminating
    just one product from their menus, American restaurants can send a direct
    message to the very industry and individuals responsible for the seal hunt."

    </>

  13. jay

    jay Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:35 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    >> > Just like deer hunting in our area. The Texas white tails breed like
    >> > goats, and many of the does have twins.

    >> AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    >> kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    >> things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    >> size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.
    >>
    >> We like 'em in a good pot of chili.
    >>

    > <snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    > Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>

    Sorry I did not get right back to you..but I have been looking
    everywhere for my bow. I never put MY NAME on the arrow. <G>

    BTW they have now joined a larger group around back.

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:35 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <aU%[email protected]>,
    > > jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    > >> kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    > >> things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    > >> size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.
    > >>
    > >> We like 'em in a good pot of chili.
    > >>

    > ><snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    > >Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>
    > >

    > >I'm within city limits and you cannot discharge firearms, so harvesting
    > >them is out. The city deer are getting denser in population as a result.
    > >
    > >They grow fat on those well watered lawns in town,
    > >
    > >and they steal grain from the bird feeders. <G>
    > >
    > >I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    > >in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.

    > We call 'em rats with hooves.
    >
    > Boron

    <lol>
    Not quite as destructive, but they try......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Boron Elgar wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:09:35 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > ><snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    > > >Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>
    > > >

    > > >I'm within city limits and you cannot discharge firearms, so harvesting
    > > >them is out. The city deer are getting denser in population as a result.
    > > >
    > > >They grow fat on those well watered lawns in town,
    > > >
    > > >and they steal grain from the bird feeders. <G>
    > > >
    > > >I have a neighbor a couple of houses down; more than once I've seen deer
    > > >in his yard raiding his bird feeders. His fence is only 3'.

    > > We call 'em rats with hooves.

    > Don't recall the exact numbers but ISTR that every year several hundred folx
    > at least and many thousands more are injured in deer - vehicle accidents
    > (the most being in Michigan IIRC), they are a real menace.

    The deer are MUCH larger in Michigan!
    By a few hundred pounds I think?

    A 150 lb. buck here is a big one.

    > Every fall my hometown (downstate Illannoy) newspaper's "blotter" section is
    > filled with such accident reports...

    Yah. I've been in some areas of the country where there are deer
    crossing signs on some of the multi-lane major freeways. I've seen deer
    "splats" in the roads! I imagine those are made by Semi's.

    What a mess!

    Our Hill Country vultures are well fed on many of the Texas back
    roads.....
    --
    Peace, Om.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > Heh. Most of our seafood here does and always has come partially from
    > > the east and west coasts, and mostly from the gulf coast with selected
    > > imports from the Orient.
    > >
    > > I have never seen Canadian seafood for sale. Not in many years of buying
    > > it, so I don't see what the big deal is.
    > >
    > > Maybe further North?

    > You've had it, you just haven't seen it labelled as such. About 3/4 of the
    > Canadian seafood haul is exported to the States

    I don't doubt it...
    It's just labeled "farmed" or "wild".

    > http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/newsrel/2005/hq-ac09_e.htm
    >
    > CANADIAN SEAFOOD EXPORTS REACH $4.5 BILLION IN 2004
    >
    > "The United States remains Canada's largest export destination, with nearly
    > two-thirds of its seafood products, valued at $2.8 billion, sold to this
    > market. Once again, Japan ranked second with Canadian seafood imports valued
    > at nearly $500 million. Exports to the European Union, Canada's third
    > largest trading partner, increased by 4.0 per cent last year to more than
    > $474 million. China and Hong Kong followed at $366 million.

    Really? I'm a bit surprised! I guess I should not be, I imagine the
    majority if Oriental seafoods are eaten locally.

    > The top three species exported from Canada last year were lobster, crab, and
    > salmon (farmed and wild) with a combined value of more than $2.5 billion.
    > They accounted for 55 per cent of Canada's seafood exports. Lobster exports
    > were $951.7 million, followed by crab, worth $925.6 million, and salmon, at
    > $573.5 million. Other major export species included herring, scallops, cod,
    > halibut, and clams, with a combined value of almost $600 million.
    >
    > Nova Scotia was once again the largest exporting province at $1.09 billion,
    > with its top-valued products - lobster, scallops, and crab - accounting for
    > more than $615 million. Newfoundland and Labrador came in second, with
    > exports worth $1.01 billion - shrimp, crab, and Atlantic cod being its
    > highest-selling products. British Columbia ranked third at $985 million; New
    > Brunswick, fourth at $824 million. The province of Quebec saw a significant
    > increase of more than 15 per cent in exports last year, moving it up to
    > fifth place with $218 million, ahead of Prince Edward Island, at $181
    > million.
    >
    > For further information on Canada's seafood export statistics, refer to
    > Fisheries and Oceans' Statistical Services website at:
    > www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communic/statistics/main_e.htm "
    >

    > AND:
    >
    > http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/protect_seals/why_a_boycott_of_canadian_sea
    > food/
    >
    > "The bulk of Canadian seafood-an estimated 75% of it-is exported to the
    > United States, generating more than $3 billion (CAD) annually for the
    > Canadian economy.
    >
    > More than 80% of the value of Newfoundland's fishery is from shellfish such
    > as snow crabs, while sealing accounts for only 2%. Canadian snow crab
    > exports to the United States-the bulk of which originate in Newfoundland-are
    > valued at more than $370 million (USD) a year. This dwarfs the few million
    > dollars from the seal hunt in comparison.
    >
    > The Importance of Snow Crabs
    >
    > Almost all U.S. snow crab imports come from Canada. So simply by eliminating
    > just one product from their menus, American restaurants can send a direct
    > message to the very industry and individuals responsible for the seal hunt."
    >
    > </>

    Heh. I'm really no longer concerned about the seal hunts...
    now that I know more about them.

    I don't eat snow crab anymore because it SUCKS! What we've been getting
    lately, I'd rather take the trouble to shell the local blues! It's puny
    and all dried out, and salty as hell. I can get all the blues I want,
    live, at 3 for $1.00 in season. That price is not common but it does get
    down that far sometimes especially if you get it off the fishing boats
    in Port A'.

    I wish I could find the quality of snow crab that Kili and TFM showed
    the other day! I never see snow crab that nice.

    I eat Dungeness most of the time now, especially since the price has
    come down. It's gotten so it's as cheap as, if not cheaper, than snow.

    King is my favorite but it's usually outside my price range. I don't buy
    it until it drops below $9.00 per lb. in season and even then it's a
    treat. Lately, Dungeness (whole fresh frozen crabs) have been under
    $5.00 per lb.

    --
    Peace, Om.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> AND triplets.. there are six standing in my front yard right now..not
    > >> kidding. They multiply more like rats than goats. You can't run them
    > >> things off. If they keep surviving here they are gonning to be the
    > >> size of rabbits. They are everywhere..dents in car to prove it.
    > >>
    > >> We like 'em in a good pot of chili.
    > >>

    > > <snork> I've hit three of the damned things in the past 15 years.
    > > Expensive venison with the deductable. <sigh>

    > Sorry I did not get right back to you..but I have been looking
    > everywhere for my bow. I never put MY NAME on the arrow. <G>

    LOL! Order a crossbow from BudK. I have one, just have not assembled it
    yet. ;-) You can screw a hunting point on the bolts they sell.

    > BTW they have now joined a larger group around back.

    Oh boy... I suppose one of your neighbors is feeding them?
    It's pretty common in this area. <sigh>
    --
    Peace, Om.

  18. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Gabby wrote:

    > Are you guys hearing much about this boycott organized
    > by the United States' Humane Society to try to force
    > the closure of the seal hunt?
    > Gabby

    Is any of that seal imported into the U.S.?
    I'd sure like to try some, whether or not
    it's anything fantastic. I just want to
    know what it's like.

    Would it be easy to get in Vancouver?
    Do many restaurants offer it?

  19. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > I hate those hunts too, (those big eyed, fluffy white babies are SO
    > adorable!) but it seems that they are a necessary thing. :-(

    If baby seals were as ugly as lobsters no one would give a damn.

  20. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:

    > > We call 'em rats with hooves.

    > Don't recall the exact numbers but ISTR that every year several hundred folx
    > at least and many thousands more are injured in deer - vehicle accidents
    > (the most being in Michigan IIRC), they are a real menace.
    >
    > Every fall my hometown (downstate Illannoy) newspaper's "blotter" section is
    > filled with such accident reports...

    Many years ago I worked on a road maintenance crew that looked after a 20 mile
    stretch of highway. We used to pick up at least one deer carcass per week. In
    the last year there have been three deer killed on my street within a half mile
    from my place.

    I know several people who have totalled their cars hitting deer, one guy twice.
    Two of them were in Michigan, one in Florida and one in Virginia.

    If you think hitting a deer is a bad thing you don't want to know about moose.
    They are two to three times taller than a deer and weigh 5-6 times as much. If
    you hit them at speed with a car you knock their legs out from under them and
    that 1,000 lb. plus body comes through the front window.