Boycotts - How Do You Go About It?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Old Mother Ashby, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. I've made it clear that I would never boycott a local business just
    because it was owned or run by Moslems. I've already sworn off Iranian
    fairy floss, my teeth aren't the best and the one time I tried it I had
    to rinse my mouth out the pain was so bad.

    However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how would
    I know who to stay away from? I mean, in this country you're not
    required to put a sign up at the door indicating your religious
    affiliation - it's optional, of course, kosher businesses seem to find
    it a useful marketing ploy to advertise themselves as such, but nobody
    makes them and you just sort of assume that the proprietors are Jewsh
    and you can stay away if you're boycotting Jewish businesses at the moment.

    Obviously Turkish restaurants are a no-brainer. Turkish bakeries are
    more problematical. Their products are everywhere - even if I'm sure
    the lunch place is not run by Moslems, do I have to ask where they get
    the pides and foccaccias? Probably safer to stick to baguettes.

    The lunch places themselves are a problem. If all the Lebanese in the
    Melbourne food industry dropped dead, we'd starve to death, certainly at
    lunchtime. But how do you know if somebody who you think is probably
    Lebanese - could be Greek or Egyptian or some other sort of wog, after
    all - is Christian or Moslem? Or maybe a Scientologist?

    Same thing goes for Indian and Malyasian restaurants and grocers. Not
    to mention the distinct possibility that there are a number of partners
    of different backgrounds. I'm not seriously going to ask, now am I? But
    I'm hardly going to boycott our new local Indian restaurant -
    proprietors orginally from Malaysia and Mumbai - because I don't know
    the religious backgrounds of the proprietors.

    Get away from retail businesses and it gets worse. There are Indians
    everywhere these days. Doctors, lawyers, IT professionals, and they
    never mention their religion. The Moslems really ought to wear some sort
    of badge you know so you can identify them.

    And don't mention the cricket, tests against India and Pakistan would
    definitely have to be ignored but we'd have to refuse to play the
    English as well on account of the ethnic origins of some of their players.

    I have the idea that ths sort of problem has arisen in the past, I'm
    just trying to remember where...

    Christine

    Tags:

  2. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote:

    > However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how would
    > I know who to stay away from?

    You must be really stupid. Haven't you ever noticed those tattoos on
    their foreheads? The "A" is for agnostic, the "C" for Christian, the
    "M" for Moslem and the "A" for atheist.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  3. Don't buy any gas. Walk, bus, subway to work. If the whole nation
    started dumping the SUV, the middle east will be in financial ruin,
    they won't have any money to buy weapons.

  4. JohnHancock

    JohnHancock Guest

    Dan Abel wrote:

    You forgot to mention the I - for IDIOT - that IS on YOUR forehead!

  5. Lisa Ann

    Lisa Ann Guest

    "Old Mother Ashby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    <snipped>

    > I have the idea that ths sort of problem has arisen in the past, I'm
    > just trying to remember where...

    Subtle, Christine. Very subtle. :)

    Lisa Ann

  6. Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman Guest

    Old Mother Ashby wrote:

    > However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how
    > would I know who to stay away from? I mean, in this country you're
    > not required to put a sign up at the door indicating your religious
    > affiliation - it's optional, of course, kosher businesses seem to
    > find it a useful marketing ploy to advertise themselves as such, but
    > nobody makes them and you just sort of assume that the proprietors
    > are Jewsh and you can stay away if you're boycotting Jewish
    > businesses at the moment.

    My maternal grandmother claimed that all the pork stores in NYC were
    Jewish-owned. I doubt that; but some were.

    I believe there are Turks and Arabs selling Greek food in Minneapolis.

    Last year (if I remember right), someone on fr.rec.cuisine advocated a
    boycott against maple syrup to send the US a message.

    --
    Dan Goodman
    All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

  7. Dan Abel wrote:

    >In article
    ><[email protected]>,
    > Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how would
    >>I know who to stay away from?
    >>

    >You must be really stupid. Haven't you ever noticed those tattoos on
    >their foreheads? The "A" is for agnostic, the "C" for Christian, the
    >"M" for Moslem and the "A" for atheist.

    Of course, silly me. It's in the Bible, isn't it, the Mark of The Beast.
    Never mind, I'm going to the optometrist soon, I'll ask him about it, my
    prescription might need adjusting.

    Christine

  8. [email protected] wrote:

    >Don't buy any gas. Walk, bus, subway to work. If the whole nation
    >started dumping the SUV, the middle east will be in financial ruin,
    >they won't have any money to buy weapons.

    Won't work in this country, we don't buy our oil from the Middle East.
    But I agree about what we call 4WDs, speaking of weapons. I drive a
    rather elderly Japanese hatch.

    Christine

  9. Dan Goodman wrote:

    >Old Mother Ashby wrote:
    >

    >>However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how
    >>would I know who to stay away from? I mean, in this country you're
    >>not required to put a sign up at the door indicating your religious
    >>affiliation - it's optional, of course, kosher businesses seem to
    >>find it a useful marketing ploy to advertise themselves as such, but
    >>nobody makes them and you just sort of assume that the proprietors
    >>are Jewsh and you can stay away if you're boycotting Jewish
    >>businesses at the moment.
    >>

    >My maternal grandmother claimed that all the pork stores in NYC were
    >Jewish-owned. I doubt that; but some were.
    >
    >I believe there are Turks and Arabs selling Greek food in Minneapolis.
    >
    >Last year (if I remember right), someone on fr.rec.cuisine advocated a
    >boycott against maple syrup to send the US a message.

    Monty Python lives!

    Christine

  10. Dan Goodman wrote:

    > Old Mother Ashby wrote:
    >
    > > However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how
    > > would I know who to stay away from? I mean, in this country you're
    > > not required to put a sign up at the door indicating your religious
    > > affiliation - it's optional, of course, kosher businesses seem to
    > > find it a useful marketing ploy to advertise themselves as such, but
    > > nobody makes them and you just sort of assume that the proprietors
    > > are Jewsh and you can stay away if you're boycotting Jewish
    > > businesses at the moment.

    > My maternal grandmother claimed that all the pork stores in NYC were
    > Jewish-owned. I doubt that; but some were.
    >
    > I believe there are Turks and Arabs selling Greek food in Minneapolis.

    Devout Mormons have huge holdings in Las Vegas...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  11. jake

    jake Guest

    Why woudl you want to stay away form people because of their nationality?

    I have been known to boycot something for a while, but only based on
    actual behavior form identifiable people that were part of the business
    in question. I.e., someone not refunding a damaged good, or there was
    that time when I was *falsely* accused of attempted theft behind my back.

  12. jake wrote:

    > Why woudl you want to stay away form people because of their nationality?

    Because certain nationalities can have have traits that are fairly
    obnoxious, e.g. Russians (rude), Koreans (cheap), Albanians (thieving),
    etc...

    --
    Best
    Greg

    ..

  13. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > jake wrote:
    >
    > > Why woudl you want to stay away form people because of their nationality?

    > Because certain nationalities can have have traits that are fairly
    > obnoxious, e.g. Russians (rude), Koreans (cheap), Albanians (thieving),
    > etc...

    WOPs (filth, pickpocket [~Albanian],)

    Merriam Webster Thesaurus

    filth

    noun

    1 foul matter that mars the purity or cleanliness of something <the
    filth in the restaurant's kitchen was unbelievable>
    Synonyms dirt, grime, muck, smut, soil
    Related words scum, sewage, slime, sludge, swill; garbage, refuse,
    trash; soot; dirtiness, filthiness, foulness, griminess, grubbiness,
    nastiness, squalidness, uncleanliness, uncleanness
    ---

    Sheldon

  14. jake

    jake Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > jake wrote:
    >

    >>Why woudl you want to stay away form people because of their nationality?

    > Because certain nationalities can have have traits that are fairly
    > obnoxious, e.g. Russians (rude), Koreans (cheap), Albanians (thieving),
    > etc...

    I don't know how not to interpret that as racism :(

  15. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > Dan Goodman wrote:
    >
    >> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
    >>
    >>> However I've been thinking. If I did want to stage a boycott, how
    >>> would I know who to stay away from? I mean, in this country you're
    >>> not required to put a sign up at the door indicating your religious
    >>> affiliation - it's optional, of course, kosher businesses seem to
    >>> find it a useful marketing ploy to advertise themselves as such, but
    >>> nobody makes them and you just sort of assume that the proprietors
    >>> are Jewsh and you can stay away if you're boycotting Jewish
    >>> businesses at the moment.

    >> My maternal grandmother claimed that all the pork stores in NYC were
    >> Jewish-owned. I doubt that; but some were.
    >>
    >> I believe there are Turks and Arabs selling Greek food in Minneapolis.

    > Devout Mormons have huge holdings in Las Vegas...

    Hey, don't laugh! In the border towns of southern Idaho, it's estimated
    that 90% of their lottery ticket sales are to Utah residents!

    <and my great aunt used to swear that Jews ate pork in the dark corners
    of Chinese restaurants, and not just on Christmas>

  16. Old Mother Ashby <[email protected]mail.com.au> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The lunch places themselves are a problem. If all the Lebanese in
    > the Melbourne food industry dropped dead, we'd starve to death,
    > certainly at lunchtime. But how do you know if somebody who you
    > think is probably Lebanese - could be Greek or Egyptian or some
    > other sort of wog, after all - is Christian or Moslem? Or maybe a
    > Scientologist?

    He could be a Lebanese Scientologist of Christian background. I knew a
    Lebanese couple who ran a restaurant called the El Morocco and they
    were Jehovah's Witnesses.

    I met a Chinese fellow from Taiwan whose parents were devout Shinto.
    Most pizzerias in Ottawa are owned by Lebanese, except in the Italian
    quarter, obviously.

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  17. "Dan Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Last year (if I remember right), someone on fr.rec.cuisine
    > advocated a boycott against maple syrup to send the US a message.

    Huh? Québec is the largest producer of maple syrup...that is another
    stupid boycott.

    "The province of Quebec in Canada is by far the world's largest
    producer of maple syrup, producing 15,600,000 litres in 2001 - about
    four times as much as all U.S. production combined."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  18. [email protected] wrote in news:1140322127.619381.51150
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Don't buy any gas. Walk, bus, subway to work. If the whole nation
    > started dumping the SUV, the middle east will be in financial ruin,
    > they won't have any money to buy weapons.

    That won't matter because the Western nations won't be able to go
    anywhere, so they win :)

    --

    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
    the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

    Dom Helder Camara

  19. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Don't buy any gas. Walk, bus, subway to work. If the whole nation
    > started dumping the SUV, the middle east will be in financial ruin.

    No, we need more and larger SUVs... the west needs to deplete middle
    eastern oil at a much quicker rate... then what will the towelheads
    eat, sand.

  20. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Michel Boucher <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Huh? Québec is the largest producer of maple syrup...that is another
    > stupid boycott.
    >
    > "The province of Quebec in Canada is by far the world's largest
    > producer of maple syrup, producing 15,600,000 litres in 2001 - about
    > four times as much as all U.S. production combined."

    Practice makes perfect.

    There are 200,000 Muslims in Denmark. Boycotting Danish products will
    hurt them.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]