BR 20; hard man edition

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Blah, Nov 6, 2004.

  1. Blah

    Blah Guest

    Just arrived home after the first wet BRrrrrrrr. Just Dutch, DaveB and I
    today, as it was pissing down as I left home. 1.12km (I looked) into the
    ride my shoes soaked through as I rolled down Middleborough Rd. First big
    downhill into Warrandyte was more of a creek.
    Hillclimb was taken very easy, except by Dutch who gets either the 'hardman'
    or 'mental pygmy' award for only realising at the primary school at Kangaroo
    Ground that he had done the last few sections of the climb in the big
    ring... "I feel worse than the first time I did this climb," he said after
    the last bit before the rest stop. Noticed he was in the big ring after we
    got going again.
    Did just the usual turn left after the rest rather than one of the extended
    remixes and had a nice stop in Diamo for a coffee as it stopped raining,
    sort of. Rain was well and truly stopped as Dave veered off home at Burgandy
    street and Dutch and I had an almost warm and dry run through Ivanhoe
    towards North Boring.
    Never been one for riding in the rain, but I am happy to have come out
    today - of course, a lot of you guys who didn't have to travel further in
    the rain just to get to the start. I was pretty much champing at the bit to
    get out on the bike after a week with only one ride.
    See ya'll next week? (lets see if we can go 19 weeks without a _dry_ ride?)

    Tags:

  2. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Blah wrote:
    > Just arrived home after the first wet BRrrrrrrr. Just Dutch, DaveB and I
    > today, as it was pissing down as I left home. 1.12km (I looked) into the
    > ride my shoes soaked through as I rolled down Middleborough Rd. First big
    > downhill into Warrandyte was more of a creek.
    > Hillclimb was taken very easy, except by Dutch who gets either the 'hardman'
    > or 'mental pygmy' award for only realising at the primary school at Kangaroo
    > Ground that he had done the last few sections of the climb in the big
    > ring... "I feel worse than the first time I did this climb," he said after
    > the last bit before the rest stop. Noticed he was in the big ring after we
    > got going again.
    > Did just the usual turn left after the rest rather than one of the extended
    > remixes and had a nice stop in Diamo for a coffee as it stopped raining,
    > sort of. Rain was well and truly stopped as Dave veered off home at Burgandy
    > street and Dutch and I had an almost warm and dry run through Ivanhoe
    > towards North Boring.
    > Never been one for riding in the rain, but I am happy to have come out
    > today - of course, a lot of you guys who didn't have to travel further in
    > the rain just to get to the start. I was pretty much champing at the bit to
    > get out on the bike after a week with only one ride.
    > See ya'll next week? (lets see if we can go 19 weeks without a _dry_ ride?)

    I would've liked to have been there this week too but I would've been
    soaked well before I even made the 7:20 start :(

    I notice you guys seem to be taking the short BR for the last 2 weeks.
    What's going on with that?

    --
    Nick

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    just a tactic to welcome newcomers! :)))

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

  5. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 at 04:03 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

    >> I notice you guys seem to be taking the short BR for the last 2 weeks.
    >> What's going on with that?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nick

    > just a tactic to welcome newcomers! :)))

    And I'd love to come, but I think to get to the 7:20 start from
    Chadstone would involve me either staying at work all night, or
    getting up at 04:30 (OK, just maybe 05:30). Stupid me took 50 minutes
    to get ready before yesterdays ride. I guess I better look at the map
    earlier than just before heading out the door, next time :)

    test for Internet users. -- Author unknown, seen on the PCR-1000 list

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]
    > > Just arrived home after the first wet BRrrrrrrr. Just Dutch, DaveB and I

    > My ride yesterday:

    http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/journal/index.cgi?041107.0010998
    01535

    hehe... sounds like you're learning some painful lessons ;-)
    Your enthusiam didn't seem to be depleted at all which
    is great! We were talking about the GVBR today and
    they sound pretty cool. One day..

    hippy

  7. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    NickZX6R wrote:

    > I notice you guys seem to be taking the short BR for the last 2 weeks.
    > What's going on with that?

    Nahh last week was the middle distance where we went to Panton Hill and
    across to Hurstbridge which adds 10 kms to the turn at Wattle Glen, and
    St Andrews adds another 10km.

    Last week was because of the bunch of lazy wusses (ok it may have been
    me that suggested it), and today was due to riding through the rain up
    till that point.

    DaveB

  8. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > hehe... sounds like you're learning some painful lessons ;-) Your
    > enthusiam didn't seem to be depleted at all which is great! We were
    > talking about the GVBR today and they sound pretty cool. One day..
    >
    > hippy

    I'm thinking of the family doing the GVBR with my daughter on the
    trailer bike in a year or two. Anyone had any experience with that?

    DaveB

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 at 09:27 GMT, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

    > TimC Wrote:
    >>
    >> And I'd love to come, but I think to get to the 7:20 start from
    >> Chadstone would involve me either staying at work all night, or
    >> getting up at 04:30 (OK, just maybe 05:30). QUOTE]
    >>
    >> The starting point is one big carpark (undercover too) if that's an
    >> option. as the days get longer a ride from Chaddy wont be so dark...

    Dark is not the problem. The problem is that no sane person is up at
    05:30. Unless they are about to head to bed. That is then sane. :)

    Sane is waking up at 9:00, after the alarm has been blaring for an
    hour, and then getting out of bed an hour after that, when the cats
    finally let you.

    DJ - "Isn't it pathetic to quote yourself?"
    David Barnes - "No, not when you are as good as me"

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Blah wrote:
    > > Just arrived home after the first wet BRrrrrrrr. Just Dutch, DaveB and I
    > > today, as it was pissing down as I left home. 1.12km (I looked) into the
    > > ride my shoes soaked through as I rolled down Middleborough Rd. First

    big
    > > downhill into Warrandyte was more of a creek.
    > > Hillclimb was taken very easy, except by Dutch who gets either the

    'hardman'
    > > or 'mental pygmy' award for only realising at the primary school at

    Kangaroo
    > > Ground that he had done the last few sections of the climb in the big
    > > ring... "I feel worse than the first time I did this climb," he said

    after
    > > the last bit before the rest stop. Noticed he was in the big ring after

    we
    > > got going again.
    > > Did just the usual turn left after the rest rather than one of the

    extended
    > > remixes and had a nice stop in Diamo for a coffee as it stopped raining,
    > > sort of. Rain was well and truly stopped as Dave veered off home at

    Burgandy
    > > street and Dutch and I had an almost warm and dry run through Ivanhoe
    > > towards North Boring.
    > > Never been one for riding in the rain, but I am happy to have come out
    > > today - of course, a lot of you guys who didn't have to travel further

    in
    > > the rain just to get to the start. I was pretty much champing at the bit

    > > get out on the bike after a week with only one ride.
    > > See ya'll next week? (lets see if we can go 19 weeks without a _dry_

    ride?)

    > I would've liked to have been there this week too but I would've been
    > soaked well before I even made the 7:20 start :(
    >
    > I notice you guys seem to be taking the short BR for the last 2 weeks.
    > What's going on with that?
    >
    > --
    > Nick

    I got up at 0530h (as per usual), went out to the shed at about 0620h and it
    was pissing down rain. I had a flat tyre on the back and I decided that it
    was too wet and shitty so I went back inside, stripped off the bike gear,
    and got back into bed. As I got back into bed and snuggled up to the wife I
    whispered "It's really bucketing down outside" to which she replied
    "Yeah....can you believe my husband is out riding in that shit??" ;)

    Ride On,

    Gags

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Haha! give that woman a cigar.

  13. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    As I got back into bed and snuggled up to the wife I
    whispered "It's really bucketing down outside" to which she replied
    "Yeah....can you believe my husband is out riding in that shit??" ;)

    Ride On,

    Gags[/QUOTE]
    Only one thing to do - get out of bed, go to source of cold water, return and sprinkle a little on wife. While geting back into bed say, "I went for that ride, too bloody cold and wet so I turned around and I've come back to bed".

    Depending on sense of humour and amount of cold water you used, saying "please warm me up" may or may not be a good idea.

    SteveA

  14. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
    How many km is the short edition?

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    about 65km i think. average speed is usually somewhere about 24-6kph. mind you this includes a fair bit of downhill as well

  16. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Etxy Wrote:
    >
    >>How many km is the short edition?

    > about 65km i think. average speed is usually somewhere about 24-6kph.
    > mind you this includes a fair bit of downhill as well

    Nahh that's your short edition, my short edition is 50km (if you peel
    off at Burgundy St back to the starting point)

    DaveB

  17. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    hey guys,

    long time no speak, ive been in the land of the long white cloud climbing mountains. and it was for work! we had a week long conference in in auckland and then myself and a few others decided mounts wurapaihu and tongariro looked like fun so up we went. the weather was awsome, not so in melbourne it seems.

    well im back now and ready to put away my hiking boots for my trusty sidis. be there for the nex BR