BR 21 To(morrow)day!

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
> hippy wrote:
> > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I've tutored those undergrad Elec Eng people in the last few years,
> > > covering all sorts of stuff from basic mechanics to solid state

devices.
> > > I don't think they do any study at all. I first tutored engineers (all

> > I aced Beer 101, Vodka 101, and Bourbon 101
> > in first and second year uni.. I'm not too sure about
> > the subjects actually related to software engineering..
> > I'm surprised anything built or coded works.. ever.

> In 4th year computational physics I chose to use C++ instead of matlab
> because I thought it would benefit me to become more familiar with C++.
> I found that code worked much better if I wrote it when under the
> influence of cheap wine from the local bottleshop.

If you drink and code you're a bloody legend.. ?

If the code actually works the next morning, you
should get into the software biz ;-)

I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p

hippy

DaveB said:
It looked nasty but we didn't get a drop of rain.

DaveB "now let me collapse on the couch"

See? Burgundy St Hill is all in the mind!
you know, yhe part of your mind that is screaming "bloody hill!$!#!#!!!!"

Highest average speed we have done yet. credit to Blah for all that foolish towing. i think the lad is secretly out training during the week. he mentioned something about driving the course in the car during the week. Lance-like preparations. Must install squeak in his pedals :mad:

flyingdutch wrote:
> Highest average speed we have done yet. credit to Blah for all that
> foolish towing. i think the lad is secretly out training during the
> week. he mentioned something about driving the course in the car
> during the week. Lance-like preparations. Must install squeak in his
> pedals :mad:

So glad I took that 10km shortcut, which meant I missed the insane
portion of the ride that lifted the avg speed. 10 mins extra in the
bakery made a big difference

DaveB "who has been drinking (water that is) for the past 2 hrs and
still feels dehydrated"

Thanks for the ride fellas! The weather was actually very nice for riding. Nice and cool. Don't want it to be too warm when you're climbing.

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thanks for the ride fellas! The weather was actually very nice for
> riding. Nice and cool. Don't want it to be too warm when you're
> climbing.
>

> --
> jazmo

Yep, weather was great. I was wearing just the shorts and short sleeves and
felt fine 'cept for the first few minutes and again after the bakery. I had
a ball today, though the legs certainly feel like I've been out and about.
Really feel it walking (staggering) down stairs.
Thanks for a good one, guys.

hippy wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
> > hippy wrote:

> devices.
> > >
> > > I aced Beer 101, Vodka 101, and Bourbon 101
> > > in first and second year uni.. I'm not too sure about
> > > the subjects actually related to software engineering..
> > > I'm surprised anything built or coded works.. ever.

> > In 4th year computational physics I chose to use C++ instead of matlab
> > because I thought it would benefit me to become more familiar with C++.
> > I found that code worked much better if I wrote it when under the
> > influence of cheap wine from the local bottleshop.

> If you drink and code you're a bloody legend.. ?
>
> If the code actually works the next morning, you
> should get into the software biz ;-)
>
> I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
> though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
>
> hippy

If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3 wine

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> hippy wrote:

[...]

>> I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
>> though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
>>
>> hippy

> If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
> students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3
> wine

Scrumpy rules!

--

A: Top-posters.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 at 21:51 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> Gags wrote:
>> Ridiculous hours was when I was doing my undergrad Elec Eng degree. I was
>> getting paid to study full-time as well as getting paid to play AFL in
>> Canberra. I was obliged to train three nights a week for footy and by the

> <snip>
> I've tutored those undergrad Elec Eng people in the last few years,
> covering all sorts of stuff from basic mechanics to solid state devices.
> I don't think they do any study at all. I first tutored engineers (all
> streams) in 2002 I think, and they were first years or second years, and
> after working with them for a while I decided that I would not enter any
> buildings or drive on any roads or use any devices etc etc designed and
> constructed after 2005. It's nice to know that it's been a drop in
> standards and it hasn't always been that way. I'm pretty sure my dad was
> the studious type, so I've got two data points...

Ooh! We can extrapolate. Quick, how studious was your dad compared to
Gags?

> Also, the first graduands from the new postgrad med degree have been out
> there for a couple of years now. Some of my co-undergrads have gone into
> the degree... as a result of which I intend to maintain my policy of
> "wait until it's bad enough to go to the hospital".

Heh. I lived with two of them. I have tried to avoid the doctors since
then.

A Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 00:17 GMT, DaveB (aka Bruce)
> kyra wrote:
>> Sorry folks, i was keen to come out this morning, but not keen on the
>> weather at all... didn't want to cause any damage to the new bike...
>> i'll be back on BR soon enough!

> It looked nasty but we didn't get a drop of rain.
>
> DaveB "now let me collapse on the couch"

Yah. I collapsed in the train seat (still woke up just before my
station), and all I did was shop all day. Well, the part of the day I
was awake. I wouldn't have had a chance this morning -- I woke up at
11:30 when mum called.

Happiness is a warm hard disk.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 00:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
>> hippy wrote:

> devices.
>> >
>> > I aced Beer 101, Vodka 101, and Bourbon 101
>> > in first and second year uni.. I'm not too sure about
>> > the subjects actually related to software engineering..
>> > I'm surprised anything built or coded works.. ever.

Wouldn't that be Beer 201, etc, then?

>> In 4th year computational physics I chose to use C++ instead of matlab
>> because I thought it would benefit me to become more familiar with C++.
>> I found that code worked much better if I wrote it when under the
>> influence of cheap wine from the local bottleshop.

> If you drink and code you're a bloody legend.. ?

I just drink and post to USENET.

> If the code actually works the next morning, you
> should get into the software biz ;-)

I've had code that appears to work (sometimes, you just can't tell,
when doing data analysis), but when I look at it to add something, I
think "what the heck was I drinking then?!"

> I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
> though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
>
> hippy

You proabably like VB, don't you?

"Legacy (adj): an uncomplimentary computer-industry epithet that
means 'it works'." -- Anthony DeBoer @ ASR

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 09:56 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
> students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3 wine

In first year, when I was actually drikning not too bad wine, others
had shown me "passion pop". Ewww indeed. Good headache material - if
you could stand more than a few sips of it.

"This company performed an illegal operation but they will not be shut
down." -- Scott Harshbarger from consumer lobby group on Microsoft

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > hippy whined about wine
> > I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
> > though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
> >
> > hippy

> If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
> students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3 wine

If you couldn't afford better alkimahol you either:
1) didn't know people working in bottle-o's or bars
2) didn't know where ALL the happy hours/specials
were, in a 50k radius (50k being the 24hr stagger limit)
3) didn't give up things like food, train tix, or "education
materials" for grog.
4) were a sick puppy that liked wine

hippy ;-)

"TimC" <[email protected]
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 00:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)

> > devices.

(all

> Wouldn't that be Beer 201, etc, then?

I was drunk.. as if I could count!

> >> In 4th year computational physics I chose to use C++ instead of matlab
> >> because I thought it would benefit me to become more familiar with C++.
> >> I found that code worked much better if I wrote it when under the
> >> influence of cheap wine from the local bottleshop.

> > If you drink and code you're a bloody legend.. ?

> I just drink and post to USENET.

MUCH more fun!

> > If the code actually works the next morning, you
> > should get into the software biz ;-)

> I've had code that appears to work (sometimes, you just can't tell,
> when doing data analysis), but when I look at it to add something, I
> think "what the heck was I drinking then?!"

and then you need to get back to the same state before
continuing to work on it? Maybe that's just me..?

> > I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
> > though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
> >
> > hippy

> You proabably like VB, don't you?

Only if it's free..

hippy

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 09:56 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
> > students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3 wine

> In first year, when I was actually drikning not too bad wine, others
> had shown me "passion pop". Ewww indeed. Good headache material - if
> you could stand more than a few sips of it.

I once had a $6 budget and bought two bottles of that (I don't
mind champagne for some strange reason - closest thing to
wine I'll drink) and could only finish one. It was so horrid I
actually gave the other bottle away. Alcohol was more precious
to me than almost anything else at that point in time.. so it must
have been bad!

hippy

TimC wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 00:38 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)

> > devices.

> Wouldn't that be Beer 201, etc, then?
>
> >> In 4th year computational physics I chose to use C++ instead of matlab
> >> because I thought it would benefit me to become more familiar with C++.
> >> I found that code worked much better if I wrote it when under the
> >> influence of cheap wine from the local bottleshop.

> > If you drink and code you're a bloody legend.. ?

> I just drink and post to USENET.
>
> > If the code actually works the next morning, you
> > should get into the software biz ;-)

> I've had code that appears to work (sometimes, you just can't tell,
> when doing data analysis), but when I look at it to add something, I
> think "what the heck was I drinking then?!"
>
> > I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
> > though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
> >
> > hippy

> You proabably like VB, don't you?

Once I was so sleep deprived that a whole chapter of my honours thesis
featured the word "insect" everywhere that I meant to write "detect". I
don't quite know how it happened. I mean, insect is a noun and detect is
a verb, so the sentences weren't just irrelevant, they were very, very
weird. Oh and another time I referred to one of my figures as "blah is
shown in figure 1, note the pretty colours."

yep, doin' it again. no beddie-byes for this gal tonight, just pepsi,
coca-cola, tea, coffee, leftovers...

TimC wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 at 09:56 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> > If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
> > students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3 wine

> In first year, when I was actually drikning not too bad wine, others
> had shown me "passion pop". Ewww indeed. Good headache material - if
> you could stand more than a few sips of it.

You're supposed to graduate from passion pop to cask wine when you
graduate from high school... now you didn't go to a private school or
something, didja...? :p

hippy wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > hippy whined about wine
> > > I really must disapprove of your choice of beverage
> > > though.. wine is just vinegar that hasn't finished aging! :p
> > >
> > > hippy

> > If your wine is vinegar that hasn't matured, you're not a student. For
> > students, it is vinegar. I celebrated the end of honours with a $3 wine

> If you couldn't afford better alkimahol you either:
> 1) didn't know people working in bottle-o's or bars
> 2) didn't know where ALL the happy hours/specials
> were, in a 50k radius (50k being the 24hr stagger limit)
> 3) didn't give up things like food, train tix, or "education
> materials" for grog.
> 4) were a sick puppy that liked wine
>
> hippy ;-)

5) all of the above, plus being too tired to care what it was, as long
as it went down. Which, in hindsight, it didn't. It was too disgusting.

Tamyka Bell said:
Once I was so sleep deprived that a whole chapter of my honours thesis
featured the word "insect" everywhere that I meant to write "detect". I
don't quite know how it happened. I mean, insect is a noun and detect is
a verb, so the sentences weren't just irrelevant, they were very, very
weird. Oh and another time I referred to one of my figures as "blah is
shown in figure 1, note the pretty colours."

Back in the late 1970's a market research company which was involved in developing a new beer for the 'youf market' chose Queensland Uni to test the market. They had a stock of beers with various levels of gas, bitterness, after-taste etc. The idea was to get uni students to tell 'em which attributes they preferred.

The deal was 2 pots/middies/10oz beers (or whatever they are called in your neck of the woods) to try out the taste. Two more to sip slowly in order to fill out a questionnaire, and 2 more to say thank-you for helping the market research. And this was before light beer was invented/marketable. That was 1.8 litres of full strength beer on my reckoning.

A few of us were very helpful to the market research effort. Three questionnaires each. We then went off to a 240volt practical involving zenner diodes (I think???). Funny how, whatever they were, they went 'pffft' when they were not wired in correctly. I think we flamed about a dozen between us. Probably lucky not to have cooked each other too.

Anyway, a new beer ensued - Brisbane Bitter. There is even a link to cycling. The TV ads featured a group of young women on bikes in very little clothing going through sprinklers. Not sure what it had to do with beer!

It wasn't all fun though, we had one ******* lecturer who, if he detected we had had a few before the lecture would lock the lecture theatre door at the beginning of a two hour lecture so we could not get out. Two hours with a painfully full bladder. Ahhhhh. Torture

SteveA

SteveA wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> >

> > Once I was so sleep deprived that a whole chapter of my honours thesis
> > featured the word "insect" everywhere that I meant to write "detect". I
> > don't quite know how it happened. I mean, insect is a noun and detect
> > is
> > a verb, so the sentences weren't just irrelevant, they were very, very
> > weird. Oh and another time I referred to one of my figures as "blah is
> > shown in figure 1, note the pretty colours."

> Back in the late 1970's a market research company which was involved in
> developing a new beer for the 'youf market' chose Queensland Uni to
> test the market. They had a stock of beers with various levels of gas,
> bitterness, after-taste etc. The idea was to get uni students to tell
> 'em which attributes they preferred.
>
> The deal was 2 pots/middies/10oz beers (or whatever they are called in
> your neck of the woods) to try out the taste. Two more to sip slowly
> in order to fill out a questionnaire, and 2 more to say thank-you for
> helping the market research. And this was before light beer was
> invented/marketable. That was 1.8 litres of full strength beer on my
> reckoning.
>
> A few of us were very helpful to the market research effort. Three
> questionnaires each. We then went off to a 240volt practical involving
> zenner diodes (I think???). Funny how, whatever they were, they went
> 'pffft' when they were not wired in correctly. I think we flamed about
> a dozen between us. Probably lucky not to have cooked each other too.
>
> Anyway, a new beer ensued - Brisbane Bitter. There is even a link to
> cycling. The TV ads featured a group of young women on bikes in very
> little clothing going through sprinklers. Not sure what it had to do
> with beer!
>
> It wasn't all fun though, we had one ******* lecturer who, if he
> detected we had had a few before the lecture would lock the lecture
> theatre door at the beginning of a two hour lecture so we could not get
> out. Two hours with a painfully full bladder. Ahhhhh. Torture
>
> SteveA
>
> --
> SteveA

Oi what were you doing up so late (like me...)

I used to do Judo here, the coach Ron has left now. But he used to
always come to training with beer on his breath so me and my pal Timmy
fell into a habit of pizza and beer before each wednesday session...
went well with the hangover for each Saturday session as training for
uni games.

When I participate in experiments at uni, I get $10 or a chocolate bar
or something. I wanna go back to the good ole' days...

"Blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Thanks for the ride fellas! The weather was actually very nice for
> > riding. Nice and cool. Don't want it to be too warm when you're
> > climbing.
> >

> > --
> > jazmo
> >

> Yep, weather was great. I was wearing just the shorts and short sleeves

and
> felt fine 'cept for the first few minutes and again after the bakery. I

had
> a ball today, though the legs certainly feel like I've been out and about.
> Really feel it walking (staggering) down stairs.
> Thanks for a good one, guys.

Yeah, thanks guys......good ride after my bad start........I was in
BrisVegas earlier in the week and, due to their fear of faded curtains, I
had to put the time back an hour on my mobile. I forgot to change it back
and when I used it as my alarm to get up for BR21, I set it for 0530h. This
usually gives me an hour to shower, breakfast, pump tyres, etc......I soon
realised that it was actually 0630h so I had to go with no brekky, get on
the bike straight away, and then ride like mad to cover the 10km that I have
to the start point. It wasn't until the bakery at Diamond Creek that I
could get a couple of donuts into me to get me through!!

I ended up with 95km on the speedo at an average speed of 27.6 km/h. After
jazmo and I went our seperate ways, I went back down Manningham and then up
Rosanna Rd. As I went past Burgandy St, I was considering going up it again
but then sanity prevailed and I kept going down Rosanna Rd (maybe next
time).

Just about to leave for work (0555h) and it looks like a few showers on the
BOM radar image but I am on the roadie as the Yarra is still way to high to
consider the Yarra Trail.

Ride On,

Gags