BR 41 - A Sunday in Hell

GPLama

Guest
Those of us who loaded the BOM site this morning and laughed in the face of
rain rocked up.. Myself, Ess, DaveB and Jaywoo. DaveB was almost spent when
he got to the start, having punctured right near home and having to dash
back for a replacement... I had noticed my front was flat before leaving
home, so was running a new rim on the front, old on the back.. Sorry Brett,
mismatched tyres for me today :)

We all knew it was going to rain, when it would start was the unknown.. 10
mins into the ride it started. Only light, but enough to make the roads
wet. I cant recall if it kept raining up to Kangaroo Ground, but the roads
were wet all the way. DaveB had a support car follow him up to the KG
waiting point, with bikes mounted on the back. Out popped an older guy with
two young American girls. The girls had bike toured NZ and had just done
the Great Ocean Road.. The guy asked about Kinglake and how that would be a
nice ride for them. Hmm.. these guys must be serious cyclists!?.. We let
them know about the Smith's Gully stop and told them to drop in on the way
past. DaveB set off home from here, as Jaywoo, Ess and myself headed for
Alma Rd. Dog walking guy was out again and there were many tree branch
swerves on the way to Smith's Gully. A few mins after sitting down in the
nice warm secret room I never knew about, our pimp daddy and chickys show up
(ok, no disrespect to pd, high fives there buddy)... we have a chat and head
off...

We turn for Kinglake and set off after our new friends. We catch them and
decide there were no challengers in that bunch, they were in 'touring
mode'... Timing points were discussed and we were off. 1/2 way up I had
the ear pop thing going on, we aren't at sea level anymore Toto... Ess
crossing the finish point in 21:30? I think it was 30 secs or so in front
of Jaywoo and I who came in at 21:52. A few mins rest in Kinglake and off
again.. This is where the fun starts.. rain rain rain rain and another climb
heading to Kinglake West. We fought visibility, sticks, rain filled
potholes, and even a few Bogans(tm) who had no concept of giving cyclists
some room in a 100km/h zone. More rain, more rain, and very WINDY.. we
descend into Whittlesea while being blown all over the road. This had
changed from 'a ride' to 'survival'.. We all make it to Whittlesea..
stopping for water.. we catch some glimpses of sunlight!.. What was with
the amount of 4WD's attempting a U turn in the main st?

Whittlesea back into the city had a very friendly tail wind, so we were
cruising around 43-50km/h all the way back into the city.. all while the sun
was shining.. bikes finally dry and not in need of an instant cleaning when
we get home..

My Stats: 121.86kms, average 30.30km/h.

So where was everyone else!?!? :)

cheers,
GPL

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 at 04:41 GMT, GPLama (aka Bruce)
> My Stats: 121.86kms, average 30.30km/h.

Wow! Showoff.

> So where was everyone else!?!? :)

I shoulda come, but I had MTBing plans, which were dashed when I was
on the train and it started pissing down rain. My poor little orange
and purple thing wouldn't handle the mud too well, I figured.

I was out so late lastnight, I didn't think I could get up at 7:20,
let alone 6:00. As it was, I think I woke up at 6:00 anyway.

"I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a
knob called `brightness', but it doesn't work." -- Gallagher

GPLama wrote:
> Those of us who loaded the BOM site this morning and laughed in the face of
> rain rocked up.. Myself, Ess, DaveB and Jaywoo. DaveB was almost spent when
> he got to the start, having punctured right near home and having to dash
> back for a replacement... I had noticed my front was flat before leaving
> home, so was running a new rim on the front, old on the back.. Sorry Brett,
> mismatched tyres for me today :)
>
> We all knew it was going to rain, when it would start was the unknown.. 10
> mins into the ride it started. Only light, but enough to make the roads
> wet. I cant recall if it kept raining up to Kangaroo Ground, but the roads
> were wet all the way.

It had eased off by K Ground, but the road down into Wattle Glen was
very treacherous having had a fair amount of rain dumped on it just
before I got there. By Diamond Creek I was in the blue sky zone and
stayed rain free apart from one small shower till I hit Heidelberg. Then
the skies opened and I got drenched but only 10 mins from home and it's
not like the rain was cold. Was expecting to settle down in front of the
cycling on SBS but they had other plans.

Stats: nothing of significance except knocking another 15 secs off my
best time for Warrandyte-The Rock. New PB=16:35. I thought I had my
Diamond Creek time well and truly beat but was 30 secs off; not sure
what happened there.

DaveB "bike cleaned and sparkling"

I'm well and truely knackered after todays ride. If the rubberband didn't snap on Plenty Rd, it certainly did after I left Jay Woo. A nice fat westerly greeted me for the remaining 10k's of my journey. I thought I was going to go backwards.

My stats 140.1 km, av no idea.
Climb for KL 21.39 (room for improvement)

GP: what is the weight of the OCR1?

I had no intention of going to Kinglake, but started to think about it when I saw a little blue sky just before Smiths Gully, and I didn't have any company going back so what the hell push on for a nice ride to KL :rolleyes: hmmmm.

No energy left to clean bike, think I'll have a sleep instead :)

DaveB wrote:

> Stats: nothing of significance except knocking another 15 secs off my

> best time for Warrandyte-The Rock. New PB=16:35.

I reckon 15 secs off a PB is great news. I got exciting about my PB
today on the Kinglake climb, knocking off 50secs. Go shout yourself a
treat, coz I'm bloody well going to (not sure what yet, maybe a slave
to clean my bike;))

Jay 'can't be shagged cleaning his Be-arch coz he spent hours on her
yesterday' Woo

GPLama said:
So where was everyone else!?!? :)

cheers,
GPL

drove out to Glenvale crits. thawt of you foolish ones as the skies opened up, arrived at the course but of cours eit was cancelled. Had no idea if they cancel races if its wet or not but i doubt i woulda had the guts to tak those smmoth corners at those speeds anyway. Went home. watched remainder of JayWoo's complimentary Giro DVDs and dreamt of Smiths Gully Muffins.

Got my fixie hubs 2 days ago so its 101-wheel-building for moi (more threads full of stoopid related qu's to follow, no doubt)
Soiler'n'Nick. Yoose have first dibs if you wannem!

F "fBay" Dutch

flyingdutch wrote:
> and dreamt of Smiths Gully Muffins.

My fav counter girl was on today too:)

"essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I'm well and truely knackered after todays ride. If the rubberband
> didn't snap on Plenty Rd, it certainly did after I left Jay Woo. A nice
> fat westerly greeted me for the remaining 10k's of my journey. I thought
> I was going to go backwards.
>
> My stats 140.1 km, av no idea.
> Climb for KL 21.39 (room for improvement)
>
> GP: what is the weight of the OCR1?

Best I can measure using old bathroom scales: 9.5... also weighed the MTB
14.5!!

cheers,
GPL

Jay Woo said:
flyingdutch wrote:
> and dreamt of Smiths Gully Muffins.

My fav counter girl was on today too:)

i saw her first!

12T at dawn fella :mad: :rolleyes: :D

F"damn grand marnier is smooooooooooooooooooth"Dutch

essendon93 wrote:
> My stats 140.1 km, av no idea.
> Climb for KL 21.39 (room for improvement)

You guys should be set for some good winter road racing with BR
distances like these, in weather like what this morning provided.

hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
> drove out to Glenvale crits. thawt of you foolish ones as the skies
> opened up, arrived at the course but of cours eit was cancelled.

Cool! My guilt just dissolved! :)

hippy

flyingdutch wrote:

> > My fav counter girl was on today too:)

> i saw her first!

Maybe we are talking about different ones? I doubt it. Time share? :D

Jay Woo said:
flyingdutch wrote:

> > My fav counter girl was on today too:)

> i saw her first!

Maybe we are talking about different ones? I doubt it. Time share? :D

trying to bluff me into thinking you have 3 mates by posting 4 times, heh?
That_trick_never_works! (hommage rocky&Bullwinkle).

I just wish we could arrive there and they had the foresight to have all our cooffees/muffins waiting! Jeeeesh! anyone would think it were early mornin or summat?

F"think i need a bigger sized hat?"Dutch

flyingdutch wrote:
> I just wish we could arrive there and they had the foresight to have
> all our cooffees/muffins waiting! Jeeeesh! anyone would think it were
> early mornin or summat?

Don't you relish the wait? Think "recovery" for the next sprint point!
If nothing else you have more perve time. Where's this bakery again? :p

hippy

hippy said:
Don't you relish the wait? Think "recovery" for the next sprint point!
If nothing else you have more perve time. Where's this bakery again? :p

hippy

there's a fine balance between caffiene hit, refuellin and just gettin damn cold!
Smith Gully Cafe, approx 2km south of St Andrews,
ie Panton Hill, SGC, StA

flyingdutch wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>>Don't you relish the wait? Think "recovery" for the next sprint point!
>>If nothing else you have more perve time. Where's this bakery again?
>>:p

> there's a fine balance between caffiene hit, refuellin and just gettin
> damn cold!

Good point. I used to hate the cafe stops on the bunch rides I did. On a
longer ride they can be a welcome break, but 'brekkie' rides just give
me the irrits. I wanna eat when I get home damnit, not during the ride!

> Smith Gully Cafe, approx 2km south of St Andrews,
> ie Panton Hill, SGC, StA

...and who do I ask for? :)

hippy

flyingdutch wrote:

> there's a fine balance between caffiene hit, refuellin and just

gettin
> damn cold!
> Smith Gully Cafe, approx 2km south of St Andrews,
> ie Panton Hill, SGC, StA

We were 'soft' on Sunday and enjoyed our bevies inside. It was very
warm and made it hard to exit. I'm sure it will be even harder come
August.