BR: Built up my Jamis Dakar Comp Frame

Tbf

Guest
After doing lot's of research on FS bikes, Giants, Kleins, KHS, K2 etc, I finally settled on the
2002 Jamis Comp. I wanted something that was unique. You see alot of Specialized, Giants, GT's
around the Ontario trails, but I only came across one Jamis before and it was a hardtail.

Most of the components in the build came from my old Giant hardtail (I upgraded it so much it barely
resembled the Giant anyway):

http://members.rogers.com/oozone/new_page_1.htm XT Drivetrain front to back SRAM PC48 chain LX
Cranks Louise Magura Disc brakes LX Shifters low riser bar Specialized stem Selle Italia XO saddle
Kalloy Post (I Know it's bottom shelf) IRC Mythos tires 2.1's Zac 2000 rims - popular on mid to low
end bikes in the U.K. but damn strong for disc use Formual Hubs - would rather XT or Chris Kings but
the wallet is not as fat as it used to be Z5 Bomber - damn nice fork Oury Grips

Haven't given it a proper shakedown ride yet due to the weather. I'm not chicken of snow but it's 14
below up here and the windchill makes it feel worse. My local neighborhood trail the DVP, is covered
with snow and is off-camber so no riding that until it's clear. You would hate to mess up and go
over the edge on that trail, they wouldn't find your carcass until spring.

The basic ride I did give it was pretty encouraging. Very little to no bob when standing and
mashing. The FOX R is a smooth shock, and the Bomber rocks.

I like the low top tube, and being able to move the bike around easier than the old hardtail, which
surprised me. I thought a FS would be significantly heavier, but this felt very light and flickable.

I heard some folks were having trouble with the rear chainstay weld cracking, so Jamis sent me a
spare in case mine fit the recall serial number. It did, but I haven't ridden it hard enough to get
a failure, so guess that will have to wait until it warms up a bit.

I'll post an update when i get a chance to scuff it up a bit, until then, anyone who has ridden one
let me know what your thoughts are.

"TotalBufFoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After doing lot's of research on FS bikes, Giants, Kleins, KHS, K2 etc, I finally settled on the
> 2002 Jamis Comp. I wanted something that was unique. You see alot of Specialized, Giants, GT's
> around the Ontario trails, but I only came across one Jamis before and it was a hardtail.

What kind of "reasoning" is buying a certain brand of bike because you don't see them on the trails
as much as others? Did you ever stop to think that you may not see them because they are crappy?
What a buffoon.

JD

donkey as usual eh JD, LOL

idiot, I don't see alot of Kleins or Rocky Mountains, etc either. Does that mean they are crappy
too. Everyone likes to be unique whether it's clothes, car, motorcycles, etc. Why should a MTB be
different, isn't that why so conduct yourself like a donkey, so we can point at you and say, geez
that JD is so different.....

I miss your point donkey. I happen to have ridden a number of other Jamis bikes over the years, the
Comp is just a new experience, and i can tell you, they are far from crappy, otherwise I wouldn't
have wasted my cash on it.

Go powder your nose and leave the conversation to people who actually want to help ok
dude??!! scram.

> "TotalBufFoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > After doing lot's of research on FS bikes, Giants, Kleins, KHS, K2 etc,
> > finally settled on the 2002 Jamis Comp. I wanted something that was
unique.
> > You see alot of Specialized, Giants, GT's around the Ontario trails, but
> > only came across one Jamis before and it was a hardtail.
>
> What kind of "reasoning" is buying a certain brand of bike because you don't see them on the
> trails as much as others? Did you ever stop to think that you may not see them because they are
> crappy? What a buffoon.
>
> JD

"TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> After doing lot's of research on FS bikes, Giants, Kleins, KHS, K2 etc, I finally settled on the
> 2002 Jamis Comp. I wanted something that was unique. You see alot of Specialized, Giants, GT's
> around the Ontario trails, but I only came across one Jamis before and it was a hardtail.
>
> Most of the components in the build came from my old Giant hardtail (I upgraded it so much it
> barely resembled the Giant anyway):
>
> http://members.rogers.com/oozone/new_page_1.htm XT Drivetrain front to back SRAM PC48 chain LX
> Cranks Louise Magura Disc brakes LX Shifters low riser bar Specialized stem Selle Italia XO saddle
> Kalloy Post (I Know it's bottom shelf) IRC Mythos tires 2.1's Zac 2000 rims - popular on mid to
> low end bikes in the U.K. but damn strong for disc use Formual Hubs - would rather XT or Chris
> Kings but the wallet is not as fat as it used to be Z5 Bomber - damn nice fork Oury Grips
>
> Haven't given it a proper shakedown ride yet due to the weather. I'm not chicken of snow but it's
> 14 below up here and the windchill makes it feel worse. My local neighborhood trail the DVP, is
> covered with snow and is off-camber so no riding that until it's clear. You would hate to mess up
> and go over the edge on that trail, they wouldn't find your carcass until spring.
>
> The basic ride I did give it was pretty encouraging. Very little to no bob when standing and
> mashing. The FOX R is a smooth shock, and the Bomber rocks.
>
> I like the low top tube, and being able to move the bike around easier than the old hardtail,
> which surprised me. I thought a FS would be significantly heavier, but this felt very light and
> flickable.
>
> I heard some folks were having trouble with the rear chainstay weld cracking, so Jamis sent me a
> spare in case mine fit the recall serial number. It did, but I haven't ridden it hard enough to
> get a failure, so guess that will have to wait until it warms up a bit.
>
> I'll post an update when i get a chance to scuff it up a bit, until then, anyone who has ridden
> one let me know what your thoughts are.

I don't own one, but they're pretty popular bang-for-the-buck bikes out here. I think they're main
office/distribution center is in New Jersey. They're been using that suspension design for an
awfully long time -- they were some of the first fullies I saw on the trails. /s

"ToppostingBufFoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> donkey as usual eh JD, LOL
>
> idiot, I don't see alot of Kleins or Rocky Mountains, etc either. Does that mean they are crappy
> too. Everyone likes to be unique whether it's clothes, car, motorcycles, etc. Why should a MTB be
> different, isn't that why so conduct yourself like a donkey, so we can point at you and say, geez
> that JD is so different.....

As far as bicycles go, if you are picking style over function, you are nothing more than a buffoon.

> I miss your point donkey. I happen to have ridden a number of other Jamis bikes over the years,
> the Comp is just a new experience, and i can tell you, they are far from crappy, otherwise I
> wouldn't have wasted my cash on it.

Guess again, buffoon.

> Go powder your nose and leave the conversation to people who actually want to help ok
> dude??!! scram.

Help what? Help congratulate you on your idiocy? This thread was started with a "please tell me I
didn't buy a piece of ****" post. If you want affirmation on your purchase, go ride with some 12
year olds. They're sure to challenge your (lack of) intellect.

JD

> "ToppostingBufFoon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > donkey as usual eh JD, LOL
> >
> > idiot, I don't see alot of Kleins or Rocky Mountains, etc either. Does
that
> > mean they are crappy too. Everyone likes to be unique whether it's
clothes,
> > car, motorcycles, etc. Why should a MTB be different, isn't that why so conduct yourself like a
> > donkey, so we can point at you and say, geez
that JD
> > is so different.....
>
> As far as bicycles go, if you are picking style over function, you are nothing more than a
> buffoon.
>
> > I miss your point donkey. I happen to have ridden a number of other
Jamis
> > bikes over the years, the Comp is just a new experience, and i can tell
you,
> > they are far from crappy, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my cash on
it.

> Guess again, buffoon.
>
> > Go powder your nose and leave the conversation to people who actually
want
> > to help ok dude??!! scram.
>
> Help what? Help congratulate you on your idiocy? This thread was started with a "please tell me I
> didn't buy a piece of ****" post. If you want affirmation on your purchase, go ride with some 12
> year olds. They're sure to challenge your (lack of) intellect.
>
> JD

JD you should be the very last to talk about intellect, a 12 year old could school you on that
subject. Run along boy, ya bother me.... Grown folks are talking, don't you have wife and kid to
abuse or something jerk?!

About to cold to ride. Ever ear of layering. It was 1 degree with a wind chill of 25 below 0 on my
ride to work this morning. I was so warm I was singing about my frosted gotee. Your Jamis looks so
much like my K2 Attack 3.0 when it was stock off the show room floor.

Fire up MTB 03

...which always leaves me asking, "what the **** is wrong with these people."

Run along boy, ya bother me.... Grown folks are
> talking, >

So grown, so adult, that you people consistently take these petty arguments to the next level, and
attack children and spouses. I hope when you folks look in the mirror, you feel like the useless
piece of **** you represent yourself as.

I don't mean to champion JD - he certainly doesn't need any help defending himself, and speaking his
mind doesn't seem to be too difficult, either - but that so many posters need to attack him with
fallacious assaults on his family truly makes me sick.

Also, your bike is a piece of **** Fuel knockoff with crappy parts. Finally, "XT drivetrain" does
not mean LX cranks and shifters.

Chris

Man your better than me, today wasn't too bad, but on colder days I tried the layering thing, which
worked great riding singletracks where the trees blocked the wind, but my local trail doesn't have
tha shield....nope waiting for a few degrees warmer...

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> About to cold to ride. Ever ear of layering. It was 1 degree with a wind chill of
> 25 below 0 on my ride to work this morning. I was so warm I was singing about my
> frosted gotee. Your Jamis looks so much like my K2 Attack 3.0 when it was stock
> off the show room floor.
>
> Fire up MTB 03

tell you what country boy..... I think JD really has the hots for FS bikes, deep down inside he
really wants to get out and ride one, but he's made so much of an effort to put them down, he can't
bring himself to admit it.

It's a fat girl/moped kinda thing, fun to ride until your friends see ya. Bet he has one of each in
his garage right now!

> > don't you have wife and kid to abuse or something jerk?!
> >

> ...which always leaves me asking, "what the **** is wrong with these people."
>

> Run along boy, ya bother me.... Grown folks are
> > talking, >
> >

> So grown, so adult, that you people consistently take these petty
arguments
> to the next level, and attack children and spouses. I hope when you folks look in the mirror, you
> feel like the useless piece of **** you represent yourself as.
>
> I don't mean to champion JD - he certainly doesn't need any help defending himself, and speaking
> his mind doesn't seem to be too difficult, either - but that so many posters need to attack him
> with fallacious assaults on
his
> family truly makes me sick.
>
> Also, your bike is a piece of **** Fuel knockoff with crappy parts. Finally, "XT drivetrain" does
> not mean LX cranks and shifters.
>
> Chris

Well thanks for your assessment, tell us how you really feel though, LOL

Cheers

> > don't you have wife and kid to abuse or something jerk?!
> >

> ...which always leaves me asking, "what the **** is wrong with these people."
>

> Run along boy, ya bother me.... Grown folks are
> > talking, >
> >

> So grown, so adult, that you people consistently take these petty
arguments
> to the next level, and attack children and spouses. I hope when you folks look in the mirror, you
> feel like the useless piece of **** you represent yourself as.
>
> I don't mean to champion JD - he certainly doesn't need any help defending himself, and speaking
> his mind doesn't seem to be too difficult, either - but that so many posters need to attack him
> with fallacious assaults on
his
> family truly makes me sick.
>
> Also, your bike is a piece of **** Fuel knockoff with crappy parts. Finally, "XT drivetrain" does
> not mean LX cranks and shifters.
>
> Chris

"TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> tell you what country boy..... I think JD really has the hots for FS
bikes,
> deep down inside he really wants to get out and ride one, but he's made so much of an effort to
> put them down, he can't bring himself to admit it.
>
> It's a fat girl/moped kinda thing, fun to ride until your friends see ya. Bet he has one of each
> in his garage right now!

JD does have one and has made no secret of it.

Mike

a fat girl or moped?

> "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > tell you what country boy..... I think JD really has the hots for FS
> bikes,
> > deep down inside he really wants to get out and ride one, but he's made
so
> > much of an effort to put them down, he can't bring himself to admit it.
> >
> > It's a fat girl/moped kinda thing, fun to ride until your friends see
ya.
> > Bet he has one of each in his garage right now!
> >

> JD does have one and has made no secret of it.
>
> Mike

"TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "TBF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > tell you what country boy..... I think JD really has the hots for FS
> > bikes,
> > > deep down inside he really wants to get out and ride one, but he's
made
> so
> > > much of an effort to put them down, he can't bring himself to admit
it.

> > > It's a fat girl/moped kinda thing, fun to ride until your friends see
> ya.
> > > Bet he has one of each in his garage right now!
> > >

> > JD does have one and has made no secret of it.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> a fat girl or moped?

Hehehe...the FS bike. The fat girl or the moped will probably remain secret. ;^)

Mike

news:<[email protected]>...
> > don't you have wife and kid to abuse or something jerk?!
> >

> ...which always leaves me asking, "what the **** is wrong with these people."
>

> Run along boy, ya bother me.... Grown folks are
> > talking, >
> >

> So grown, so adult, that you people consistently take these petty arguments to the next level, and
> attack children and spouses. I hope when you folks look in the mirror, you feel like the useless
> piece of **** you represent yourself as.
>
> I don't mean to champion JD - he certainly doesn't need any help defending himself, and speaking
> his mind doesn't seem to be too difficult, either - but that so many posters need to attack him
> with fallacious assaults on his family truly makes me sick.

Careful Chris, you may be accused of being a follower instead of having common sense.

> Also, your bike is a piece of **** Fuel knockoff with crappy parts. Finally, "XT drivetrain" does
> not mean LX cranks and shifters.

So much for postive affirmation. Maybe he'll suffer from buyers remorse so badly, he'll leave
AM-B for ever.

JD

Oh doubt that Choda boy, but keep dreaming if you must.

> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > don't you have wife and kid to abuse or something jerk?!
> > >

> > ...which always leaves me asking, "what the **** is wrong with these people."
> >

> > Run along boy, ya bother me.... Grown folks are
> > > talking, >
> > >

> > So grown, so adult, that you people consistently take these petty
arguments
> > to the next level, and attack children and spouses. I hope when you
folks
> > look in the mirror, you feel like the useless piece of **** you
represent
> > yourself as.
> >
> > I don't mean to champion JD - he certainly doesn't need any help
defending
> > himself, and speaking his mind doesn't seem to be too difficult,
either -
> > but that so many posters need to attack him with fallacious assaults on
his
> > family truly makes me sick.
>
> Careful Chris, you may be accused of being a follower instead of having common sense.
>
> > Also, your bike is a piece of **** Fuel knockoff with crappy parts. Finally, "XT drivetrain"
> > does not mean LX cranks and shifters.
>
> So much for postive affirmation. Maybe he'll suffer from buyers remorse so badly, he'll leave AM-B
> for ever.
>
> JD

"ToppostingBeerFart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Oh doubt that Choda boy, but keep dreaming if you must.

Now that you have oficially joined the worm ranks with the likes of anonymous troll, frightpig and
duhski, it's only likely that you'll just continue to ram your head into that brick wall over and
over again. Some dogs just can't help but love a good kicking.

JD

Oh I'm sure you know all about that Choda Boy, by the looks of you, seems as though you have done
quite a bit of that yourself.

Oh JD your my hero, your sooo coool!!!