BR Intense Spider and RR PNW and Canada

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Porter, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    I just got back from a 3 week "business" trip through the Pacific Northwest and Canada with my new
    bike, an Intense Spider. The bike was built up with a Fox Forx Float 100RLC, XTR03 goodies, Spinergy
    Disc wheelset and carbon bar and seatpost bringing the weight in at 24.5 lbs. The trip was an
    incredible way to get comfortable with the new rig. The first stop was Portland OR where AMB's own
    BB hooked me up with an absolutely awesome ride through some National Forest in Washington. Blaine
    already has a RR out in it so I just add that riding through lush forest along a picturesque river
    versus the typical scrub and dirt of SoCal was a real treat. (That's again Blaine, it was awesome!)
    This was my first significant trail ride with the bike so there was definitely a feeling out
    process. Climbing on this is a downright surreal experience. The bike is nice and plush but we you
    get on the pedals the backend stiffens up. It has that hard tail feel of all the pedaling going
    right to the tires but at the same time the rear end will respond to bumps in the terrain. The rear
    shock does have a lockout and I tried it out, but found that the pedaling was no more efficient but
    I did get a harsher ride. If I were a serious weight weenie I would remove the lockout lever because
    I just don't see myself needing to ever use it. The bike handles amazingly, very responsive and goes
    where you point. I know it is very clique to say to turns like it on rails but that does describe it
    best. It is hard to describe but it seems very easy to accelerate out of turns with this bike. I got
    in a second ride in Portland, through Forest Park which quite a few long climbs in it that really
    proved for me that the Spider is one hell of a climbing machine. A Billy Goat on crystal meth
    describes it best. A couple of days later and it was time for some riding in Victoria Canada. A few
    of us went to the Hartland Surplus Lands (aka The Dump). The guys at Neverland bikes hooked us up
    with a map and some suggested routes. Most of the trails we rode where single black diamonds by the
    local grading criteria. We stayed clear of the double black diamonds with names like Organ Donor and
    Birth Control. The trails here were quite technical with lots of rocks, logs, roots, and tight
    single track. Combine all of these together on the same patch of trail at once and you have some
    very interesting riding. These trails where challenging but manageable and the bike handled quite
    nicely. I found the bike easy to move around with all of the up and downs and weight swifts required
    on the technical stuff. A couple of days later I was in Vancouver. I almost went up to Whistler, but
    decided on checking out the North Shore stuff. The first day was on Grouse Mountain and the second
    was on Seymour Mountain. The North Shore was more insane that I had expected. Some of the trail we
    did were Seven Secrets, Krikem Krankem, Leopard, Kirkwood, Incline, Pangor, and several others. The
    Intense Spider is definitely not optimized for that style of riding. The trails would be quite
    technical on a freeride bike, and where down right challenging on a XC rig. There where many spots
    where humped it and there were a couple of the ride down drops that I did do where the steep race
    geometry of the Spider had my pucker factor up high. I really apprenticed the tight turning of the
    bike as I was weaving down stuff that some of my super-fat-tire freeriding friends where just airing
    over. It was not until the last day of riding that I officially christened the new bike with an
    auger style endo on a particularly steep drop. I had some video issues early in the trip but got
    them worked out near the end of the trip. I'll be putting up some pics and a video or two of the
    trip in a couple of weeks. Basically I had an awesome trip on an awesome bike.

    Bill "I only got 560 emails about penis enlargements while I was gone" Porter
    www.mountainbikebill.com

    Tags:

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just got back from a 3 week "business" trip through the Pacific Northwest and Canada with my new
    > bike, an Intense Spider. The bike was built up with a Fox Forx Float 100RLC, XTR03 goodies,
    > Spinergy Disc wheelset and carbon bar and seatpost bringing the weight in at 24.5 lbs. The trip
    > was an incredible way to get comfortable with the new rig. I had some video issues early in the
    > trip but got them worked out near the end of the trip. I'll be putting up some pics and a video or
    > two of the trip in a couple of weeks. Basically I had an awesome trip on an awesome bike.
    >
    > Bill "I only got 560 emails about penis enlargements while I was gone" Porter
    > www.mountainbikebill.com

    So do you like the bike, or what? ;-) Nice RR & BR. Cool trip.

    Paladin